RC-62 v.s RC-62 II Noticeable Difference?

Turbonated

• Moderators

I was not able to hear a difference between the RC-64 and RC-64 II nor between the RS-62 and RS-62 II.  I only saw cosmetic differences.  I would assume the same between the RC-62 and RC-62 II.  The woofers are different color (bronze vs copper) but if you keep the grills on, you will never notice the difference.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I was not able to hear a difference between the RC-64 and RC-64 II nor between the RS-62 and RS-62 II.  I only saw cosmetic differences.  I would assume the same between the RC-62 and RC-62 II.  The woofers are different color (bronze vs copper) but if you keep the grills on, you will never notice the difference.

Hmm, didn't know that about the color. I have two R-28F's that I leave the grills off of. I would prefer it to match. Now to figure out if it does or doesn't match

1 hour ago, Turbonated said:

I was set on getting an RC-62 II then I stumbled across this RC-62 on Ebay in excellent condition for about half the price. Should I pick it up or pass?

If you can get that one for 100+ 65- that's good deal, but if you are planning to hit "buy now", I would wait. The last 2 RC-62II that got sold just recently went for $215. 

Here is another 62 II for $230.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Reference-RC-62-II-Center-Speaker/282943694007?hash=item41e0c224b7:g:uvIAAOSwWbta5Lft

Also if you monitor you local CL you can find one even for less. 

1 hour ago, Turbonated said:

Hmm, didn't know that about the color. I have two R-28F's that I leave the grills off of. I would prefer it to match. Now to figure out if it does or doesn't match

The R-28f and the RC-62 are from different series. You may hear a difference. One is Best Buy exclusive and the other is a reference line. I noticed a difference going from the old Best Buy synergy line to the reference line. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Boilermaker86 said:

The R-28f and the RC-62 are from different series. You may hear a difference. One is Best Buy exclusive and the other is a reference line. I noticed a difference going from the old Best Buy synergy line to the reference line. 

This is also news to me. I wish I would of done more research before I went and picked them up from Best Buy but they were on sale and fit my budget. Is there a decent center that does match my towers? Is it an issue with timbre matching or why would I hear a difference? I thought I knew more about home audio but I guess I have a lot to learn. 

4 hours ago, Turbonated said:

This is also news to me. I wish I would of done more research before I went and picked them up from Best Buy but they were on sale and fit my budget. Is there a decent center that does match my towers? Is it an issue with timbre matching or why would I hear a difference? I thought I knew more about home audio but I guess I have a lot to learn. 

Yes that is how you get hooked on Klipsch. Best Buy has a sale and you love them....then eventually you you want to upgrade to highest model :lol:

Below is the matching center for your towers. The only thing I don’t like about the Best Buy model Klipsch is the matching series (like the center) is a bit small and only one option. But if you look at the reference line, they have more choices and can upgrade to a bigger model if want and are in the same series.

The RC-62 is a great center channel and would be better than the matching one...but I don’t know how well it will match the R-28f towers. I know I had the RC-62 II and the Synergy F3 speakes ( the model before your r-28f) and didn’t like the miss match and eventually got the matching RF-82 II towers.

B019C9F7-5664-49AF-87A0-7103AE894C0B.png

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, Youthman said:

I was not able to hear a difference between the RC-64 and RC-64 II nor between the RS-62 and RS-62 II

Interesting. If you meant the RC-62 vs RC-62II those are pretty much the same speaker but the two generations of RC-64II were made of completely different sounding speakers. Fwiw, The RF-83s were considerably warmer than the RF-7s I have and most here at the time said they wouldn't pair the RC-64 with the original RF-7s. I haven't heard the RF-7IIsRC-64II but have the RF-83s/RC-64 on several occasions.

3 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

The RF-83s were considerably warmer than the RF-7s I have and most here at the time said they wouldn't pair the RC-64 with the original RF-7s. I haven't heard the RF-7IIsRC-64II but have the RF-83s/RC-64 on several occasions.

Oops!  I've been doing this wrong for years, lol.  I used the RC 64 with my RF 7 and now with the RF 7 II's.  Well, how about that.;)  I have not even considered trying to find an RC 64 II.

• Moderators

It was when I had the RF-83 / RC-64 in my theater room and bought an eleven speaker Rf-7 II System on Craigslist, I brought the RC-64 II and sat it on top of the RC-64 and played one demo, switched speaker cables and to my ears, I could not tell a difference so I gave my son the RC-64 II for his bedroom setup.

On 5/2/2018 at 6:22 PM, Boilermaker86 said:

Yes that is how you get hooked on Klipsch. Best Buy has a sale and you love them....then eventually you you want to upgrade to highest model :lol:

Below is the matching center for your towers. The only thing I don’t like about the Best Buy model Klipsch is the matching series (like the center) is a bit small and only one option. But if you look at the reference line, they have more choices and can upgrade to a bigger model if want and are in the same series.

The RC-62 is a great center channel and would be better than the matching one...but I don’t know how well it will match the R-28f towers. I know I had the RC-62 II and the Synergy F3 speakes ( the model before your r-28f) and didn’t like the miss match and eventually got the matching RF-82 II towers.

B019C9F7-5664-49AF-87A0-7103AE894C0B.png

Problem is I haven't heard great things about this center. I've been told a center makes for 70% of the dialogue and sound. How about the 250c?

31 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Now the RC-7 had a much brighter, in your face sound than the RC-64 and RC-64 II.  I definitely heard a noticeable difference there.

That was sort of my point. The RC-7 was voice-matched to the RF-7 and have similar sonic characteristics. The RC-64 was voice-matched to the RF-83 and both of those are warmer speakers...Then they reissued the RF-7IIs with a slimmer profile RC-64II and larger CS driver than the previous RC-64 to try and recapture the folks who preferred the brighter (or more clean) sound of traditional Klipsch. That's my take. :) 

38 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Oops!  I've been doing this wrong for years, lol.  I used the RC 64 with my RF 7 and now with the RF 7 II's.  Well, how about that.;)  I have not even considered trying to find an RC 64 II.

Fwiw, I wasn't dissing your speakers and if you like the way they sound together don't let anyone try and change your opinion! I am just reporting the scuttlebutt on this forum when the various lines were released as well as my perception of the ones I have heard. 

42 minutes ago, Turbonated said:

Problem is I haven't heard great things about this center. I've been told a center makes for 70% of the dialogue and sound. How about the 250c?

That’s the main reason I upgraded from my Best Buy Synergy....the dialog from the center was unclear. Once I upgraded the center, I just kept going and upgraded everting to the reference series. I would see if you could demo a RC-62 since they are different series to see how well they play together. Noting is saying you can’t get an RC-62 with your towers, I just wanted to let you know they are different series within the Klipsch line.

14 minutes ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, I wasn't dissing your speakers and if you like the way they sound together don't let anyone try and change your opinion! I am just reporting the scuttlebutt on this forum when the various lines were released as well as my perception of the ones I have heard

No problem with anything you said, it is just that tha Pioneer Elites will EQ the front three to match so it would not make a difference if I had an RC 7 or RC 64II.

20 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

That’s the main reason I upgraded from my Best Buy Synergy....the dialog from the center was unclear. Once I upgraded the center, I just kept going and upgraded everting to the reference series. I would see if you could demo a RC-62 since they are different series to see how well they play together. Noting is saying you can’t get an RC-62 with your towers, I just wanted to let you know they are different series within the Klipsch line.

How well does the RP-250C match with my 28's? I'm between that and the RC-62 II now just need to pull the trigger

These two speakers can't be that different unless one does not reproduce sounds truthfully/effectively.  All Reference speakers that use the titanium tweeter and cerametallic woofer are close enough to not be a major problem in most cases.