Firstwatt F6 build

1 hour ago, wdecho said:

One is not going to beat the deal for an adequate heatsink chassis' at diyaudio.com. I use this one myself but one must drill and tap the holes. https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/chassis/products/dissipante-4u   For a ready to use, holes already drilled with back panel already cut and drilled go with this one in steel.

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/chassis/products/deluxe-4u-amplifier-chassis-steel  Aluminum one is a few dollars more. https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/deluxe/products/deluxe-ultimate-amplifier-chassis

The price includes shipping which one is not going to get from Asia. I have searched for better deal many times without beating these deals. Before they were made available I use to buy the heatsinks and build my own case from https://www.heatsinkusa.com/   Not a easy task I would want to do anymore with the cheap prices diyaudio store has now. 

Yeah I know these are high quality cases. They are actually from Hifi2000 in Italy, and I've bought direct from them before the DIY Audio store existed. After that experience I would much rather order from someone in the US.

I was going to go with the 5U deluxe since the 10 mm front panels are incredibly nice. I have them on my 2U case that I use for a headphone amp.

I was actually in touch with someone from Thailand that sells FirstWatt clone cases but they are pretty expensive and I don't know what the dissipation rating on the headsinks is. I personally like the look of these more and I was eventually going to buy Pass' commercial SIT-1 amps to use on the midrange/treble horns. I heard those amps back to back with a high end custom built 300B SET amp using nickel output transformers and all of us thought the SIT-1 was more transparent and much better on complex symphony music.

You can always build your own chassis out of wood and metal. If I were to build this amp, I think I would model the chassis off the beautiful Toolshed Audio amps but have heat sinks run along the top instead of tubes:

image.png.ac55dfc0a8905185a4d71b059113d37b.png

This is actually a cool looking one that could come out of the top, maybe get two to mirror each other:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Lbs-Large-Industrial-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-12-5-x-6-x-2-75-8-Fin-/142561117398

image.png.4e86433b2eb6936708b79a0fa0b5e083.png

Guest wdecho
55 minutes ago, jazzmessengers said:

I personally like the look of these more and I was eventually going to buy Pass' commercial SIT-1 amps to use on the midrange/treble horns. I heard those amps back to back with a high end custom built 300B SET amp using nickel output transformers and all of us thought the SIT-1 was more transparent and much better on complex symphony music.

I would love to own one of the SIT amplifiers. A lot can depend on the SET 300B and the tubes used about being better. Certainly the 300B is more linear if one looks at a chart but for SS buffs the SIT's are as close as one can get to a SE 300B. The curves are similar but the 300B beats a SIT transistor. I say grab one if you can find one for sale. There is supposedly a diy SE in the works using some of the V-fets in a circuit designed by Nelson. I have been waiting for it for many months. It may come out as a kit but I can get by with just a board and schematic hoarding some of those precious V-fet transistors years ago. 

2 hours ago, wdecho said:

One is not going to beat the deal for an adequate heatsink chassis' at diyaudio.com...

The price includes shipping which one is not going to get from Asia. I have searched for better deal many times without beating these deals. 

I agree with this.  I have ordered two chassis from the diyaudio store and was surprised how fast they arrived from Italy - only a few days.  The packaging was great and alignment on all pieces was perfect.  No mystery holes or weirdness.  Recommended. 

2 hours ago, wdecho said:

I would love to own one of the SIT amplifiers. A lot can depend on the SET 300B and the tubes used about being better. Certainly the 300B is more linear if one looks at a chart but for SS buffs the SIT's are as close as one can get to a SE 300B. The curves are similar but the 300B beats a SIT transistor. I say grab one if you can find one for sale. There is supposedly a diy SE in the works using some of the V-fets in a circuit designed by Nelson. I have been waiting for it for many months. It may come out as a kit but I can get by with just a board and schematic hoarding some of those precious V-fet transistors years ago. 

For single ended Michael R (won't attempt to spell his last name!) has some designs with the Sony VFETs. If you replace the light bulb version with large power resistors that is similar to the SIT-1 schematic. My theory is it is the output transformer that is the limiting factor. The 300B is indeed incredibly linear but then it is has this huge air gapped output transformer coming after it. The amp was running WE 300B, driver was JJ ECC99, interstage transformers were Tango NC20. These days for a "no-compromise" SET or DHT P-P (ala Lynn Olson Karna) I would probably go for transformers from Monolith Magnetics.

I am keeping my eyes open for a used SIT-1, unfortunately I don't have as much free time to spend online and these are usually bought up quickly. I may ask Reno hifi to let me know the next time he gets a demo unit.  

Years ago before I got into DIY I experienced the incredible customer service of Pass Labs with the old Aleph 3.

6 hours ago, twk123 said:

You can always build your own chassis out of wood and metal. If I were to build this amp, I think I would model the chassis off the beautiful Toolshed Audio amps but have heat sinks run along the top instead of tubes:

image.png.ac55dfc0a8905185a4d71b059113d37b.png

This is actually a cool looking one that could come out of the top, maybe get two to mirror each other:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Lbs-Large-Industrial-Aluminum-Heat-Sink-12-5-x-6-x-2-75-8-Fin-/142561117398

image.png.4e86433b2eb6936708b79a0fa0b5e083.png

--- for top mounted heat sinks have a look at Clayon Audio. All Class A designs and the entire finned aluminum top cover is the heat sink. This is the one amp I wished I had never sold. The designer/owner of Clayton, Wilson Shen, was an IBM engineer and designed these chassis to model the heat sinking of military radar arrays controls.