Parks Audio...

Schu

Shannon released a new phono pre today... the Puffin

28039229658_bc68e6fc0c_h.jpg

I've been working on a new phono preamp design over the last year and have used the last two months to push it towards production. Today I'm proud to announce the Parks Audio Puffin to you.

The Puffin represents a radical departure from other phono preamps as it is a DSP-based phono preamp, but it still hooks up like a normal phono preamp with analog inputs and outputs. No computer or internet is necessary, and it does everything real-time.

For a phono preamp gain is everything, and with the variety of cartridges on the market and many kinds of sound systems with different specs, traditional phono preamps don't provide enough flexibility in gain settings. With the Puffin, you have twenty gain settings: from -4dB (CDs) to 72dB (MCs). This is a real game changer. For best noise performance, I'd recommend 0.25mV to be the bottom limit for moving coils.

The Puffin also gives you full control of the sound character, not just a matter of luck with cartridge loading. I think the Tilt functionality will be the most used feature and it works great with moving coils and CDs, too! It quickly gets the warmth/detail perfect, and you may even tweak the settings from LP to LP depending on the recording.

But you're a vinyl purist, you say? Great! There are also several monaural features and filters, even a null balance. And the Puffin handles many old record EQ settings--twelve right now, but I can add more. With the Puffin you can actually listen to your 78s live with no need to record to a hard drive and apply Audacity tools. What fun is that?

I have a limited number of Puffins for sale on my website immediately, with quantities available next month via Amazon, who will be the main reseller. My current Budgie and Budgie Hybrid designs have been discontinued, though I will continue to support Budgie owners 100%.

For more info please check out these links:

Here's a link to the updated Parks Audio website: http://parksaudiollc.com/
Here's a link to the Puffin's PDF manual: http://parksaudiollc.com/puffmanV1.pdf

For updates, I'll be using the Parks Audio Facebook page. I hope to spotlight different Puffin features and methods.

Warm Regards,
Shannon Parks

27040520457_1af394092c_b.jpg

Ordered!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

it seems the Puffin is already sold out... but more are coming in June.

Shannon also says he plans on regular firmware updates and software based modifications.

take a minute and read the owners manual pdf

so far I have found that most all of the adjustments are very subtle from step to step but quite extreme from one polar to the other... which is PERFECT for my tastes.

the unit is extremely silent and very revealing... no coloration except what you wish to add in terms of the puffins adjustability.

I have to say that while I love my NBS, I just was never happy with the "tercel" based phono section... this Puffin is exactly what I had been wanting in terms of sound production and ease of use.

2 hours ago, Marvel said:

Dave, you might be interested in this... start at the top.

@Mallette

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. What a fascinating approach! Aside from all else, the ability to vary for 78 curves alone makes this competitive with the Rec-O-Kut Re-Equalizer and phono stage. While 12 settings doesn't match the 57 you get with that, the designers says he can add more and 12 is still going to be a close match. Would love to hear one. The price is certainly competitive and the approach is extremely innovative and unique.

Dave