DIY center channel speaker

Emile

Hi All,

Trying to get some inputs/thoughts :D  

Was thinking about building a center channel speaker ... mostly because I am constrained by a 7 inch space (and 9 inch deep) under my TV.  So; have 2 KG2.5 boxes I do not use ... threads indicate these are pretty decent for center speakers. Also have an R-28F tweeter (think it's 8 ohm)  :D or I could use the K-86-K tweeters from the KG2.5's.  So; have 4 x 6 1/2 inch K-1019-S woofers (think they are 4 ohms) and these tweeters. Was thinking about building a box with woofer-woofer-tweeter-woofer-woofer layout.  NO clue if I can somehow use the KG2.5 crossovers :( .

Appreciate your inputs!

Cheers, Emile

Hi Emile, Klipsch like speaker parts that work at 8 ohm nominal, so the R28F or KG 2.5  should work.  I don't no how to model a box for you but, someone be able to  model a speaker that will fit the size you need with WISD or bass box software.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Hi Emile, Klipsch like speaker parts that work at 8 ohm nominal, so the R28F or KG 2.5  should work.  I don't no how to model a box for you but, someone be able to  model a speaker that will fit the size you need with WISD or bass box software.

Thanks! Guess I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the money and time to do this with these driver's.

Cheers, Emile :D 

No way should this be dead, go to AVS DIY speaker and subs and people will help you for free.  These are the people that help me build 8 subs of different types, size, drivers. etc.  They even told me the power requirements not to exceed to get the most out of the speaker.  Eng 399 who is on this forum has made many speakers for people or model them on WISD.  RobKlipsc will also model a box for you.  Your drivers are good, you will need a XO.   I have sent other members to him to build speakers for although I could have did it but, not as good!

DIY Sound Group is also another option, they may be able to model a box and sell you dirver and XO at a deep discount.  One of the designer's is in our Chicagoland AVS membership.

• Thanks 1

Many thanks to all your inputs ... especially to @derrickdj1. Spend hours reviewing options and think a "vertical" center channel is the best way to go.  Wife won't like a center speaker in front of the fireplace ... but Oh Well :D 

Cheers, Emile

OK; maybe I am crazy :)  but going to try a Yamaha SM12 as a center (yeah; blasphemy).  Yeah ... 2 inch tweeter coil, which is awesome in my KPT-904's. Trying to get the CL seller to deliver it :) Will let you know.

Cheers, Emile 

601205000000000-00-500x500.jpg

13 hours ago, JohnA said:

What ya need.

:D Thanks! Only $350 ... could buy 10 good bottles of wine for that; or 40 cheap ones :D But ... do have a sound meter and will do some testing :D