Volcanic action in Hawaii.

Shiva

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:19 PM, twk123 said:

Its probably good that its letting out pressure slowly. A Mt. St. Helens type of event would pretty much wipe out Hawaii although its my understanding they are different types of volcanoes. Now if Mt. Rainier decided to go... 

Mt Ranier is nothing compared to the largest caldera on the planet, EVER! YELLOWSTONE Supervolcano caldera...and things are happening to it a lot lately.  It has the capability to pretty much become a global catastrophe if it ever blows while humans are still on the planet...even bigger than a global nuclear holocaust!  Even some of the previously inactive geysers have become VERY ACTIVE there lately.

• Thanks 1

The last super volcano eruption coincides with a bottleneck of human dna diversity.  Yellowstone is due, but on a timeline that dwarfs our lifetimes.  When it blows it will be a global catastrophe no doubt, and the most devastating effects will be on the north American continent.  

• Like 1

It seems Krakatoa was documented well. Sleeping Lady outside of Mexico City not so much or the Spaniards trampled the history in their quest for mineral wealth. I saw a small detonation of Popo in Mexico and it was a humbling experience.

Volcanoes are not to be trifled with. Hopefully this Hawaii situation calms down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WillyBob said:

if Yellowstone blows .. it will all be academic.  A global "event" 

GLOBAL is absolutely correct!  Early on, it will be primarily the northern hemisphere, but within a year or so it will be almost as bad in the southern hemisphere...EVERYTHING will change:  temperatures, weather patterns, global ice, you name it, and numerous species will die off, or come close to it!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

GLOBAL is absolutely correct!  Early on, it will be primarily the northern hemisphere, but within a year or so it will be almost as bad in the southern hemisphere...EVERYTHING will change:  temperatures, weather patterns, global ice, you name it, and numerous species will die off, or come close to it!

They (Smart people) in the know said that ice borings from the Greenland Icecap showed that after the blast 640,000 years ago there was a 2000 year ice age afterwards. They also said there is a 5 square mile magma pit under Yellowstone that is growing larger and satellite measurements indicate that Yellowstone is rising approximately one foot per year but they didn't elaborate which part of Yellowstone was rising.

JJK

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

They (Smart people) in the know said that ice borings from the Greenland Icecap showed that after the blast 640,000 years ago there was a 2000 year ice age afterwards. They also said there is a 5 square mile magma pit under Yellowstone that is growing larger and satellite measurements indicate that Yellowstone is rising approximately one foot per year but they didn't elaborate which part of Yellowstone was rising.

JJK

The Yellowstone supervolcano cauldera is about 35 miles by 45 miles in size...all of it is rising.

31 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

OHHHHHhhhhhhhh NOOooooooooo! (Mr. Bill screams)

The end is coming!!

Party like there's no tomorrow!

or at least like it's Firday!

You mean, "If you don't have them already just borrow the money and get the Jubilees...at least you will go out listening to great speakers!"  And, who knows, the bank may not even get the loan repaid....LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know about it.  I know about it.  Someone must be covering it.  What more could you want to know?  They don't vote for our elections in Guatemala, you know, like neither does Puerto Rico.  So it's not important.  It's just like Paris Hilton said---"there's nothing to do in France because it's not America, and they all just talk France talk."

• Haha 1

• Moderators
On 5/25/2018 at 4:01 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

You mean, "If you don't have them already just borrow the money and get the Jubilees...at least you will go out listening to great speakers!"  And, who knows, the bank may not even get the loan repaid....LOL!

A sure way to not have anything erupt on that scale in our lifetime, just the way it works.

Were just along for the ride anyway, whatever happens happens. 

14 hours ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Just wondering about geologic aspects of these dynamics.

We will probably have all these answers the day before those dynamics make it irrelevant, to us anyway.  :lol: 

On 5/25/2018 at 3:47 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

The Yellowstone supervolcano cauldera is about 35 miles by 45 miles in size...all of it is rising.

Yeah ... will be fun when that one blows ... see plot below :(  edit ... ASH LEVELS

yellowstone super-eruption ash

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, babadono said:

excuse my ignorance. thickness of what? Ash?

That's what I was wondering.

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Sorry; yes ash.  And ... 1000mm is about 40 inches :( 

Well if that's the case we will only get 1-3mm, if I don't dust I get that much dust on my stereo, no problem. :unsure:

I know it means much more than that, it what's going to stay in the atmosphere that will be a problem.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

Sorry; yes ash.  And ... 1000mm is about 40 inches :( 

This reminds me. My Grandparents lived on Bainbridge Island near Seattle when they were still alive. For years my Grandpa had a tarp and rope in his trunk in the event Rainier ever blew he wouldnt get ash on his car. It was just one of those 'Grandpa' things you just know its better to not ask into too much. 

• Haha 1