Sub feet/spikes

SDDP

Not sure if this has been covered, but I have a few R-115SW and a R-12 and want to raise them off the carpet. But with out having to drill or damage the subs. All the feet/spikes I've found require drilling into the bottom of the sub. 

Is there any other solution or recommendations?

Don't want to go the Subdued or Gramma from Auralex either.

I tried using Softtouch Rubber Chair tips 1 1/8th but the sheer weight of the subs pushes them to an angle or crushes them, unless there's a way to fill them up with something solid.

Rubber chair feet.jpg

Hello SDDP,

I personally use what's called "isolator pads" for my subs. They're purchased at any HVAC supply house for a reasonable price. One of the most common usages within the HVAC world is to put underneath outdoor condensing units ... 4 each, 1 under each corner. Sounds to me that's exactly what you need! If you want to message me I can even help you by sending you some if you'd like.

• Like 2

On Tuesday, May 08, 2018 at 10:31 PM, Tony T said:

Hello SDDP,

I personally use what's called "isolator pads" for my subs. They're purchased at any HVAC supply house for a reasonable price. One of the most common usages within the HVAC world is to put underneath outdoor condensing units ... 4 each, 1 under each corner. Sounds to me that's exactly what you need! If you want to message me I can even help you by sending you some if you'd like.

Fascinating. Never thought of that, so you mean something like this?

(I'm assuming 2x2" would be better than the 3x3 or 4x4)

https://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech-MP-2E-EVA-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

I found the best DIY way to isolate a subwoofer is to get a cheap foam roller that people use to get knots out of their back then cut it into four 3'' slices and put that under your sub. I did that with my 15'' Dayton Audio reference sub and it really helped clean up the sound when I had wood floors.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High-Density-Round-Roller-36-inches/dp/B00XM2MRGI/ref=sr_1_4?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1525985858&sr=1-4&keywords=foam+roller

image.png.e55beec4b24032b29d8308e153c249b8.png

Yes, those are exactly what I use. I use the 2 x 2 but you can use the larger sizes if you like. They're all the same thickness so your really not gaining much by going larger. Also, that's a good price. That's about what I pay at my HVAC vendor. 

I also use them for compressors, spa's, or anything at all you want to use them for. Their primary usage in, once again, out door condensers. If you don't already have them on your outdoor AC unit, put one on each corner. You'll be surprised how it removes vibration noises.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jason str said:

These products are not going to make a bit of difference on carpeted surfaces.

Bare floors are another story....

For some reason I thought the OP had wood floors, not carpet. You are correct.

derrickdj1 said that he used casters on some of his subs.  So, I did the same thing.  They work great for moving/placement.  Not the most aesthetically pleasing, really not bad though, but I'm generally the only one who sees my sub anyway.  I have carpet, so they hide a little more when they sink down.  Using them again on the second sub that I'm building.

They're 1 1/2" tall and work well.  Just a thought.

51KJ7NdgHOL.jpg.f5aa35b1e0bf100eb52f1164ed73c391.jpg

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 3:47 PM, Tony T said:

Yes, those are exactly what I use. I use the 2 x 2 but you can use the larger sizes if you like. They're all the same thickness so your really not gaining much by going larger. Also, that's a good price. That's about what I pay at my HVAC vendor. 

I also use them for compressors, spa's, or anything at all you want to use them for. Their primary usage in, once again, out door condensers. If you don't already have them on your outdoor AC unit, put one on each corner. You'll be surprised how it removes vibration noises.

Good to know about adding them to my outside AC, 

But spoke to Klipsch on this and from what he told me, little difference, however if anything to use the spikes. The point would be to have the LEAST amount of contact with the carpet. So looks like spikes might be the route to go with.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up. I did get spikes for all of my subs and yes it did make a noticeable difference. Much smoother and deeper bass with less to none rattling going through the floor/walls. 

It was worth the headache