Single driver suggestions

joessportster

I was up on this subject 6 years ago, but have since fallen out of the Know, Looking for suggestions. In my smallish room I am now thinking I would be better served looking at a single driver back horn type vs. bi-amping the cornscala

Plan is to use the Pass ACA, and B1 buffered with digital source.

Any suggestions links ?

--- you might look at Omega speaker hand built by Louis Concho. He makes several sizes using different drivers from 3 to 6.5 inch. I owned the 6.5 Alnico magnet floor stand. I'll reserve any opinion as my room was far too much for them to overcome but for their size they do quite good. His cabinetry is first rate but they ain't cheap. Cheaper but people seem to speak highly is Tekton, several models.

And Zu, but they can get quite $$$ too ---

Guest wdecho
19 minutes ago, joshnich said:

I have always been intrigued by the kits available from Madison sound. This one looks interesting and affordable 

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-20-folded-horn-kit-pair/

I think this kit would be an excellent choice. Been kicking around the notion of a full range open baffle build myself using my LaScala bass bin for say 200hz down for a number of years. I am yet to pull the trigger though because my current modified LaScala's sound so good. Nelson Pass is an advocate of open baffle but then he recently bought new horn speakers as well. There is a lot of interest about the speakers offered at diyaudio endorsed by Nelson as sounding real good in open baffle. Being that this is a Klipsch speaker forum I do not think it would be ethical to take this discussion to far though. 

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/loudspeaker-drivers

18 hours ago, joessportster said:

single driver back horn type

I'm not sure what that is.

I've read the suggestions others have made but it looks like a variety of speaker types.

Would a single driver coax in the $200 range be what you're looking for?  Ported or sealed, flat packs are available.

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/volt-8-v2.html

volt_8_v2.jpg

volt_8_atmos_flatpack.jpgvolt_8_ported_flatpack.jpg

9 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The rear of the driver empties into a horn for enhanced bass. 

Although a two-way and not single driver, is this TriTrix the right concept?  PE calls it a transmission line, but it is a folded horn design through the back.

https://www.parts-express.com/tritrix-mtm-tl-tower-speaker-components-and-cabinet-kit-pair--300-702

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

The horn normally expands and the transmission line is (typically) the same size throughout or decreases slightly.

Got it, thanks!  👍

In that case the Fostex BK-20 looks like the way to go, although the excellent Fostex driver is a coax and not technically a single driver, a minor point IMO.  I don't think I've even seen another rear horn design.

I have bought 3 kits from Madisound.  They were expertly designed, fit and finish was top notch and they sounded great.

4 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

In that case the Fostex BK-20 looks like the way to go, although the excellent Fostex driver is a coax and not technically a single driver, a minor point IMO.  I don't think I've even seen another rear horn design.

I think the fact that it's a single point sound source makes it desirable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

You have to wonder why they didn't horn load the front of the driver as well.

It makes me wonder why they built such a monstrosity in the first place!  :o