What kind of Heresy's do I have?

24 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Baltic birch has it hands down.

My 1977 (bought new after college) KCBR Klipschorns were made of Baltic Birch. I had NEVER seen 9 layer, 1/2 inch plywood before. They were impressive, and sounded great, of course. My new (to me) Klipshorn Jubillee Clones, built by HPower, designed by Roy Delgado and Paul Klipsch, are Baltic Birch with veneer and weigh a ton! They also sound fantastic!!

TigerJubeClones.jpg

• Like 5

This is my first pair of nice speakers, so I don't really know what they are supposed to sound like. I'm coming from a pair of Pioneer sp-fs52s, excellent speakers for $250 new but nowhere near these Heresy's. The Heresies sound better as is, but I feel like they could improve even more. Since they are completely stock from 84 and have been in storage for 23 years, I think I'll start with the crossovers and go from there. 

10 hours ago, saintsfan2007 said:

Since they are completely stock from 84 and have been in storage for 23 years, I think I'll start with the crossovers and go from there. 

I'd start with listening to them as they are.  The crossovers can be updated later.  My guess is you won't notice a substantial difference after replacing capacitors.  Don't be in a hurry to be disappointed.  Enjoy them as you got them, at least for a few months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, Saintsfan lemme toss this at you before you start tearing into things...  Yes, I'm just ANOTHER crazy new OLD guy here.  I switched from Infinity Reference Standard 2.5's over to Klipsch recently.  I began in the late 70's with Infinity because I got ALL of my gear at cost.  That is the ONLY reason I didn't own Klipsch La Scala's then.  Both were about the same price so ya take the "deal."   Today the Emim mid-ranges are $500 each and made specially for the cabinets in New Zealand.  You just can't find parts anymore so I came HOME to Klipsch not knowing what to really expect today.  Sure they've made changes to things but design-wise nothing much was ever changed from the original design. (Be gentle guys!)  I found a pair of 81 raw birch La Scala's that became a gut job as far as parts go.  New networks, spkers, etc...  Recently, I picked up a pair of VERY nice 1981 Heresy's.  I didn't know if they even played but the lady I purchased them from said they did.  Her husband bought them new and passed away and I'm not even gonna tell you what she wanted for them but I gave her about $250 more than she was asking just to be honest and fair with her.  Came home, wired them up, took it a bit easy on them for a few days, then cut them loose so they could breathe a bit.  :)  NOW I know WHY these "whacko's" in here have about 4 different pair of speakers.  They are ALL incredible in their own way.  Love my La Scala's and found another love in my Heresy's, both 81 and sound wonderful.  Your ears and your friends are going to tell you how wonderful they sound...  Savor it man! These guys on this forum KNOW their schit when it comes to Klipsch.  Enjoy man and "Go Browns"?????  hahahaha..  They're pathetic!  :)

On 5/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, saintsfan2007 said:

Do I have Heresy II or Heresy I? I just bought serial number 8423337 and 8423338 from the original owner. I'm not sure if I have the tail end of I or some of the first IIs.

pop the grill.

If the speakers mount on the front of the motor board they are II's

If they mount on the rear of the motor board they are I's

My video will show how they mount in the I's

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/9/2018 at 9:22 AM, saintsfan2007 said:

This is my first pair of nice speakers

And they are nice, and you got a great looking pair, your right a little oil will help them look even better.  Just oiled a pair of fortes and it made them look much better, they were drier than i thought. 

I wouldn't change a thing for a while, get use to them as they are first. A small sub is also a nice addition.

Welcome and Congratulations...........plus I love the name ! ⚜️

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 5:36 AM, DizRotus said:

Properly functioning is an important part of the equation.  Electro Voice stopped making T35 (K77) many years ago.  For a time, Klipsch had them made off-shore.  Eventually that became impractical.  Getting a suitable replacement diaphragm for. T35/K77 is now problematic.  The only one I would trust is that sold by Bob Ctires,

Questions that come to mind: since K-horns and LaScala IIs are still being made, and they have K77Ds in them (I think), don't they still have a source for K77Ds?  What will they do for warranty repair of K-horns and LSIIs?  Maybe Klipsch will start buying the equivalent from Crites?  Is there any truth to the rumor that the Crites tweeter is of significantly different sensitivity than the K77F?  How about the D?

2 hours ago, garyrc said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that the Crites tweeter is of significantly different sensitivity than the K77F?  How about the D?

My comment was only in reference to replacement diaphragms for T-35 tweeters made by Electro-Voice for Klipsch.  Other than some possibly squirreled away NOS diaphragms made by EV, all replacement diaphragms for EV T-35/K-77 tweeters are aftermarket.  Personally, the only aftermarket replacement diaphragms for EV made T-35/K-77 tweeters I would trust are those sold by Bob.  There might be others that are OK, but I would rather not gamble.

The replacement whole tweeters sold by Bob, @BEC, are another matter. Again, if Bob offers it, I’m confident in the quality, suitability, and value.  Nonetheless, there are many sources of tweeters to substitute for EV made K-77s, that could work very well.  Regarding sensitivity, or any other differences, I defer to Bob.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:46 AM, DizRotus said:

My comment was only in reference to replacement diaphragms for T-35 tweeters made by Electro-Voice for Klipsch.  Other than some possibly squirreled away NOS diaphragms made by EV, all replacement diaphragms for EV T-35/K-77 tweeters are aftermarket.  Personally, the only aftermarket replacement diaphragms for EV made T-35/K-77 tweeters I would trust are those sold by Bob.  There might be others that are OK, but I would rather not gamble.

The replacement whole tweeters sold by Bob, @BEC, are another matter. Again, if Bob offers it, I’m confident in the quality, suitability, and value.  Nonetheless, there are many sources of tweeters to substitute for EV made K-77s, that could work very well.  Regarding sensitivity, or any other differences, I defer to Bob.

The K77Fs were made for Klipsch in one place and assembled in another, so I hear.  One of the places was the Philippines.  Roy told me that they were tested when they were installed or shipped to customers as part of the AK4 or AK5 upgrade kit.  Another Klipsch engineer told me (in about 2004) that "they finally got it right."  My AK4 (2005) uses the later ones, and they sound "just like" my original K77 flat magnets of about 1982, and a pair of round magnets I have from about 1977.  When I put the K77F in the Khorns as part of the upgrade, they required a bracket to allow them to be front mounted, for better dispersion and less refraction.  Not long after I installed them, Klipsch came out with the K77D, which had the bracket built in.  I believe that is what Klipsch is using in the newer (current) Klipschorns and La Scala IIs. 

So, I guess my question is, who is making the D?  And ... are D replacements available from Klipsch for Khorn or La Scala II customers who blow a gasket tweeter?   And,  @BEC, are your tweeters more, less, or the same sensitivity as the K77Fs?  I'm asking about the Fs because if I ever blow one, I would need something of the same sensitivity as an F to get fed by my AK4 to produce the same SPL -- or get the crossovers adapted.

Since most of us won't have the opportunity to listen to and compare the Crites model(s) and the Klipsch M, F, and D, are there distortion figures, frequency response graphs, and subjective Forum members' reviews by members who have heard several of the above?

On 5/8/2018 at 5:36 PM, saintsfan2007 said:

Sorry about that. I had trouble figuring out how to get my phone to save a picture file smaller than the site's 2 mb limit. 

20180508_173442.jpg

Technically Heresies, but we often call them Heresy 1.5s.  They have the HII squawker.  Few are kept that pristine!  Enjoy!!!   

SpeakOn (or XLR) connectors are used by yours truly, whenever possible.  The ease of connection, as well as the integrity of the connection, are invaluable. Get genuine Neutrik SpeakOn made in Liechtenstein.  I bought knock-offs once by accident.  They were not a value.  

That said, please leave the original screw terminals (barrier strips) alone in your outstanding original condition speakers.  At present, I have pairs of H2s, HIPs and KP-201s that are in the process of being repurposed to new owners, I.e., I won’t be installing female SpeakOn connectors in the cabinets.  Since all my DIY amps and DIY speakers have female SpeakOn connectors, all my speaker cables have male SpeakOn connectors at both ends.  To be able to quickly switch among speaker and amp combinations, I made SpeakOn pigtails to temporarily use with the in flux Heresys.  A male to male adapter is used to connect the cables to the speakers.

If I owned your beautiful speakers, I would use such pigtails to make secure “permanent” connections at the barrier strips, but retain the ability to quickly disconnect and reconnect securely.  I would add small spade, or possibly even round, connectors to the pigtails to make the “permanent” connections even more secure, especially due to the need to support the weight of the dangling pigtails.  I would make the pigtails long enough so the SpeakOns would rest on the floor, but not so long that moving the speakers with the pigtails connected becomes difficult.

FWIW, I prefer round female SpeakOns and only use square female SpeakOns where space is at a premium, such as the small case holding a TDA7297 chip amp.  The round connectors are easier to mount and seal in wooden speaker projects.  FYI, the connectors on the pigtails in the first photo are knock-offs.  The male to male adapter is genuine Neutrik. The connectors plugged into the amp are genuine Neutrik SpeakOn. The copies work well enough, but they are more difficult to build up.  Spend a few more dollars and get the real things.

One last tip.  SpeakOns come in 2 pole and 4 pole varieties.  The grey one on the left in the amp is 2 pole.  Only buy 4 pole if you need 4 distinct connections at a single connector.

87DAC338-C347-457F-BBB5-E159FF6D304B.jpeg

84DA398C-D510-4BBE-8C96-81AA399B4896.jpeg

7F5D1D8A-ED72-492E-B7BE-E5BAC8F4B1CA.jpeg

On 5/14/2018 at 3:51 PM, JohnA said:

Technically Heresies, but we often call them Heresy 1.5s.  They have the HII squawker.  Few are kept that pristine!  Enjoy!!!   

Try using the method in my signature.  It makes posting pics of any size a no-brainer.

I use simple crimp on connectors (Yellow VINYL 12-10 #6 Ga Wire Spade Terminal Crimp Connector).  Yeah yeah not gold plated made with the best metal on earth etc but whatever they are connecting to a regular bolt that goes through the plywood to a terminal strip etc. so a fancy connector is sorta of pointless (unless you are redoing all the internals) but that is just me.  Other people will have different opinions.

I have never had anyone say that my system sucks so I don't care.  The #6 is the key those are the narrow ones.

Laters,

Jeff