Brass Pulley for TT Motor

jcmusic

I recently had a machine shop make a Brass pulley for me to try, it is working great but; I am seeing some yellowish dust which I assume is brass. Is this normal? I don't have much knowledge of Brass so I am looking for answers??? Will this stop after a while or not? The belt is made of Mylar.. I have cleaned it off a couple times but it is still producing it...

5 minutes ago, canyonman said:

I recently had a machine shop make a Brass pulley for me to try, it is working great but; I am seeing some yellowish dust which I assume is brass. Is this normal? I don't have much knowledge of Brass so I am looking for answers??? Will this stop after a while or not? The belt is made of Mylar.. I have cleaned it off a couple times but it is still producing it...

A nice picture closeup would help.

JJK

It's "copper rust."  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(I)_oxide.  I'm not sure which kind of brass that you have, and it's clear that you have something that is making continuous contact that's flaking off the oxide layer that forms over time.

Cuprous_oxide_microcrystalline.JPG

I'd recommend liberal application of Johnson floor wax followed by polishing, or anything that will form a barrier to atmospheric oxygen without materially changing its appearance and has good wear resistance.  I'd recommend periodically refreshing that coating, just like silver plated dinnerware.

Chris

6 hours ago, LarryC said:

Given how precise and well-made those things have to be,, what's the situation with trying to get a replacement from the manufacturer?

Not gonna happen that's why I had one made, the company is gone as far as I know...

What response, or at least what information, do you get from companies that make TT pulleys, like VPI or Basis in the US, as to cost and feasibility?  Probably why you turned to a machine shop!  I would think it would be pretty horrifying!  Can you find a quality used 'table?  Naturally, I think of a Basis, but know one of those is probably way off your price list.  I'd think that engineering a pulley would be a real chore as to materials, angles and dimensions, and ways to attach to the motor spindle, to think of a few things.  Even a standard motor and pulley would have to be precisely matched with the platter diameter, so you're talking whole table+motor.  Just thinking out loud....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LarryC said:

What response, or at least what information, do you get from companies that make TT pulleys, like VPI or Basis in the US, as to cost and feasibility?  Probably why you turned to a machine shop!  I would think it would be pretty horrifying!  Can you find a quality used 'table?  Naturally, I think of a Basis, but know one of those is probably way off your price list.  I'd think that engineering a pulley would be a real chore as to materials, angles and dimensions, and ways to attach to the motor spindle, to think of a few things.  Even a standard motor and pulley would have to be precisely matched with the platter diameter, so you're talking whole table+motor.  Just thinking out loud....

Larry,

Actually it's not that bad the pulley is a very simple almost flat 1/2" tall held on by a set screw against the shaft. This is an external motor and pod with a belt so you move the motor pod to adjust belt tension.

40 minutes ago, canyonman said:

Larry,

Actually it's not that bad the pulley is a very simple almost flat 1/2" tall held on by a set screw against the shaft. This is an external motor and pod with a belt so you move the motor pod to adjust belt tension.

The tolerances are so tight on that stuff it almost requires a press fit on the shaft.

JJK

Brass and bronze the alloy chart is quite extensive.

The Machine shop you used probably chose C 360 for its machinability. Is is very soft and has little strength.

C865 is known as high strength yellow brass.

C863 has a much higher tensile strength and hardness

C969 is very wear resistant.

Those engineered alloys are more expensive but I cannot imagine you need a very large piece of material. They are much more difficult to machine though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

"Brass is relatively soft, so bronze, stainless steel, titanium."

It seems to me the TT pulleys I've seen are stainless steel, apparently pressed on.  I've never seen a set-screw on a TT pulley and I'd worry about unbalanced rotation even at that slow speed of rotation.

I suspect AJ Conti had his reasons to be super-critical about accurate machining, perfect roundness, perfectly balanced rotation, and resonance control, in his remarkable-sounding turntables.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The tolerances are so tight on that stuff it almost requires a press fit on the shaft.

JJK

Yes the original one was a press fit but, they wear out and then you need to have a set screw added. So I just had the shop make it with the set screw, as I said before it is working great I was just not expecting the residue I am seeing...

9 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Just curious why brass..? 

Maybe stainless steel would be a good option or other material that doesn’t oxidize as easily.

miketn

My other one is made from SS but it is for the smaller shaft motor, this new motor has a larger shaft.

I believe you are seeing the results of a Chemical reaction between the brass and rubber belt and if that’s true it will probably continue and cause deterioration of the belt also.

If you google brass reacting with rubber you will see information about issues and reactions.

miketn

edit: I see you have a Mylar belt which may also be reacting evidenced by the yellowish dust you described.