SOLD: 1978 Cornwalls in oiled walnut - $950

Opus

On 5/15/2018 at 1:15 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

I probably built them...face the rear of one and to your left, follow the rear edge of that side panel up towards its miter-joint.  About an inch below the joint if you see the letter "A", then they were built by me.

I looked at the Heresy pair I picked up yesterday, and it looks like a number 8 in that spot on both speakers, does this signify someone specific?

37 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

I looked at the Heresy pair I picked up yesterday, and it looks like a number 8 in that spot on both speakers, does this signify someone specific?

When were they built?  The builders and sanders started being required to stamp their builder/sander codes into the speakers rear in the mid-1970's so that the QC folks knew who to take it back to for "fixing" if needed.  I have no idea if they still do that or not...probably NOT.  But al the builders and sanders had alphabetical codes when I worked there from 76-83.  I am pretty sure, though, that once they transitioned to MDF panels for speakers, they stopped doing it, simply because of what happens when you try to stamp into MDF...it swells the panel at that particular point of the stamping.

11 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

When were they built?  The builders and sanders started being required to stamp their builder/sander codes into the speakers rear in the mid-1970's so that the QC folks knew who to take it back to for "fixing" if needed.  I have no idea if they still do that or not...probably NOT.  But al the builders and sanders had alphabetical codes when I worked there from 76-83.  I am pretty sure, though, that once they transitioned to MDF panels for speakers, they stopped doing it, simply because of what happens when you try to stamp into MDF...it swells the panel at that particular point of the stamping.

This pair has a "T" code in the third position of the serial, so I am guessing 1979.

1 hour ago, Oicu812 said:

This pair has a "T" code in the third position of the serial, so I am guessing 1979.

Are you sure that is an "8" on those speakers instead of either a "B" or an "A"?  in 79 we had a Steve building "S" and myself "A", and Bois'd'arc a "W".  Cornwalls were NORMALLY built by a two-man team, one person on either side of the workbench....I always insisted that the builder code be put on after the build was finished, but sometimes it was done while the panels were still clamped and the top/bottom had not yet been determined.  You may7 want to check the bottom right corner as facing the speaker form the rear...for the builder codes.

On 5/9/2018 at 2:39 PM, Sprogk said:

I do not have room for the Cornwalls and the La Scalas. 

:D Replaced my Cornwall's with KPT-904's. So; now using the Cornwall's as rear speakers with a vintage Yamaha CR-620 amp. Awesome! (OK; not really "rears" but reversed 2 channel.)  See if you have extra room :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Emile said:

:D Replaced my Cornwall's with KPT-904's. So; now using the Cornwall's as rear speakers with a vintage Yamaha CR-620 amp. Awesome! (OK; not really "rears" but reversed 2 channel.)  See if you have extra room :D 

Cheers, Emile

I tried to convince my wife that the Cornwalls would make great rear speakers.  She said we don't have the room.   :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Opus said:

I tried to convince my wife that the Cornwalls would make great rear speakers.  She said we don't have the room.   :rolleyes:

My wife thinks that we will soon have to play hopscotch across the tops of our speakers to be able to get to the recliners.  She seems to think I buy a lot of audio equipment.

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

It's really hard to find a deal on Klipsch in Texas.

Road trip

You know I am seriously considering it. What I really want is a pair of La Scala or Belle’s. (Don’t know if the Cornwall will be that big of a step up compared to my fortes). If I saw a halfway decent deal on either of those I would definitely make the trip. 

As for dfw... saw a deal pop up on La Scala’s at 10pm. Was supposed to go see them at 10am the next day... already gone! I expect to see them pop back up for double the price shortly 😐

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jelder said:
21 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Road trip

You know I am seriously considering it. What I really want is a pair of La Scala or Belle’s. (Don’t know if the Cornwall will be that big of a step up compared to my fortes). If I saw a halfway decent deal on either of those I would definitely make the trip. 

Usually I don't mind prodding a buddy into doing what they really want to do, but I'm not so sure what I'm doing is right in this case.  On the one hand, those Cornwalls might bring you a little closer to the LS since you could probably sell them for more than you paid for them and you would learn along the way how the CW's sound. 

ON THE OTHER HAND...

If you really want the La Scalas you might really want to wait for them.  The only problem with that is you never know when they are going to pop up in your neck of the woods, and for how much.

Tough call.

Still, you might want to make the Pilgrimage to Hope just for that purpose, and if a pair or Cornwalls or LS follow you home, it must have been fate.  :cool:

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 1:15 PM, HDBRbuilder said:

I probably built them...face the rear of one and to your left, follow the rear edge of that side panel up towards its miter-joint.  About an inch below the joint if you see the letter "A", then they were built by me.

MBKY on my 81 Heresy's  F on my 81 LS...  Know em?  :)