Amp Camp Amp

JohnA

18 minutes ago, JohnA said:

--- the are several threads on these, some from me and Justin Weber who built mine. They sound fantastic but with one major caveat - 

the wall wart computer power supply does it ago justice. Justin incorporated a large regulated power supply, twice the size of the amp itself, that in his words is the "secret sauce" to the ones he built. I never heard them without this beefy supply kit but Justin said in stock form they are so-so. Mine have since been sent on for another forum member to enjoy ---

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- the are several threads on these, some from me and Justin Weber who built mine. They sound fantastic but with one major caveat - 

the wall wart computer power supply does it ago justice. Justin incorporated a large regulated power supply, twice the size of the amp itself, that in his words is the "secret sauce" to the ones he built. I never heard them without this beefy supply kit but Justin said in stock form they are so-so. Mine have since been sent on for another forum member to enjoy ---

I've gone to a regulated power supply with mine as well.  I noticed the new kits now come with a beefier power supply than the ones supplied with the kits in the past.

• Like 1

Guest wdecho
1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

I've gone to a regulated power supply with mine as well.  I noticed the new kits now come with a beefier power supply than the ones supplied with the kits in the past.

Yes 24V vs the laptop 19V ones used in the old version. Pre orders are now being taken, $317 complete and they will not last long. They are that popular. 

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/frontpage/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

Do you folks think the larger 24v supply will suffice, or is a regulated supply the way to go?  (I suppose I'll find out, just pulled the trigger on the whole kit.  I can always go with a different supply if it doesn't meet expectations.)

Guest wdecho

Unless I am mistaken the PS included is a regulated switcher. Decide later if you want to build linear. Good luck with your build and I will look forward to review. 

I'm pretty psyched, actually, as it will be my first dip in the solid state single ended pool.  Long time SET/SEP fan, so hopefully this kit will scratch the same itch (with the bonus of about 6db greater headroom than my current flea watters).

I really think I want to build a couple of these in the balanced input/ bridged output to run the top end of my Jubes. The Crown d75s I refurb'd are OK but I'd like to dip into the Class A camp. I have a concern though and have asked a question on the diyaudio thread. So far no definitive answer, but its only been a day. The pre order window closes in a few days. My question:

I am thinking about getting a pair of these during the pre order period for balanced/bridged configuration. My question is on some balanced outputs(the input to these amps) the low side of signal is ground and not an invert of the high side signal. So will these amps work like that?

--- maybe Justin Weber will add to this but I've owned, just sold, this kit built by Justin. If that 24V power supply is the upgrade version then what Justin built is the Super Duper King Kong version power supply. What is pictured is literally a toy in comparison to what I owned. I do not know the brand or anything else about it but the PS alone weighed two-three times that of the amp(s). If I'm not mistaken each supply housed a good sized torid with plenty of heat sink along both sides. 

4 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- maybe Justin Weber will add to this but I've owned, just sold, this kit built by Justin. If that 24V power supply is the upgrade version then what Justin built is the Super Duper King Kong version power supply. What is pictured is literally a toy in comparison to what I owned. I do not know the brand or anything else about it but the PS alone weighed two-three times that of the amp(s). If I'm not mistaken each supply housed a good sized torid with plenty of heat sink along both sides. 

I have the exact same power supply.  One of these will run both amps with ease.  I think he bought two in case you were ever in a situation where the amps needed to be separated.  It's WAY overkill to have 2 of these.  The company that builds them added an additional output and pigtail for about $15 so that it could be used with two monoblocks.  If you ran the 2 channel configuration that they now offer, the one power supply like I have would be perfect.

4 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I think it was THIS one but it's been a while since I bought mine.  Each amp will draw 1.4A max and this power supply will do 4.2A.

That looks like it, thanks. Overkill? I don't think you can overkill a power supply, can you? And this coming from a guy with a 396/sub  garage system? And me with Jubes? Overkill - I think not. 

1 minute ago, richieb said:

That looks like it, thanks. Overkill? I don't think you can overkill a power supply, can you? And this coming from a guy with a 396/sub  garage system? And me with Jubes? Overkill - I think not. 

It can be ordered in a 24V version which will do 3.1A.  That would be perfect for the new kit.  Maybe they would cut the price back a bit if you ordered the kit without the switching PS.

Guest wdecho

The kit being offered now is a little different design Amp Camp 1.1 presented at the Burning Amp Festival last year. You can watch the video at 45.33 to learn more about the circuit and it's development. 

Guest wdecho
14 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

It can be ordered in a 24V version which will do 3.1A.  That would be perfect for the new kit.  Maybe they would cut the price back a bit if you ordered the kit without the switching PS.

Carl I watched the video again yesterday myself, at least the part concerning this amp. You can change one resistor for less gain and increase the voltage of the transformer to 24V instead of 19V and achieve the same improvements talked about on the BAF presentation .You will not have to change the PS section, only the transformers if you do not have 24V already. Easy to check the voltage with a meter to see what you have now. Two of these should work fine for mono's with 2.8 amps each. http://www.antekinc.com/as-1218-100va-18v-transformer/ in a mono linear PS supply build. 

Nelson's appearance reminds me of my younger days when hippies were a common site. As one can tell he is not seeking anyone's approval. His accomplishments in the audio field speaks for himself. 

16 hours ago, babadono said:

I really think I want to build a couple of these in the balanced input/ bridged output to run the top end of my Jubes. The Crown d75s I refurb'd are OK but I'd like to dip into the Class A camp. I have a concern though and have asked a question on the diyaudio thread. So far no definitive answer, but its only been a day. The pre order window closes in a few days. My question:

I am thinking about getting a pair of these during the pre order period for balanced/bridged configuration. My question is on some balanced outputs(the input to these amps) the low side of signal is ground and not an invert of the high side signal. So will these amps work like that?

Have you received an answer to this?  If I understand your question, IMO, the answer is no.  With my class D amps (Wiener TPA3118 and TI TPA3255EVM) the hot and cold signals are distinct from ground.  The cable shielding is grounded, but neither the cold nor hot signals are grounded.  For me it’s somewhat counterintuitive.  

Gary Marsh, the designer/builder of the Wiener, drew me the attached hookup diagram that I found instructive.  The hot and cold signals for each channel are at the RCA pins, i.e., there need to be four connections, two for each stereo channel in balanced/differential mode.  The four RCA collars are connected to the cables’ shields and to ground.

gmarsh_schematic_balanced.thumb.JPG.9552ac133e249fe1adc7fac7492299e8.JPG.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wdecho said:

Carl I watched the video again yesterday myself, at least the part concerning this amp. You can change one resistor for less gain and increase the voltage of the transformer to 24V instead of 19V and achieve the same improvements talked about on the BAF presentation .You will not have to change the PS section, only the transformers if you do not have 24V already. Easy to check the voltage with a meter to see what you have now. Two of these should work fine for mono's with 2.8 amps each. http://www.antekinc.com/as-1218-100va-18v-transformer/ in a mono linear PS supply build. 

Nelson's appearance reminds me of my younger days when hippies were a common site. As one can tell he is not seeking anyone's approval. His accomplishments in the audio field speaks for himself. 

I haven't watched the video yet but am happy with the amps as they are.

Guest wdecho
Just now, CECAA850 said:

I haven't watched the video yet but am happy with the amps as they are.

That's all that matters.