Jube/1802 - The Ultimate 2.1

AHall

6 minutes ago, dtel said:

Are you listening with 2.0 or 2.1, either way will give you that effect.

Congratulations 

I was listening to the first setup through the avr in 2.1. Afterwards I listened on my preamp in 2.0. Didn’t bother changing the extra wires around. I will be tomorrow though. 

• Moderators

They have really good bass in 2.0 and I'm not surprised with the AVR sound.

At first I tried the pre-outs on a Yamaha RX V730 and it was OK-good at best. Switched to a DAC and it was completely different, much better. Later tried the pre-outs of a better receiver and it was just as good as the DAC so that's how it's running now, being much easier to connect other things to it. But I kept the DAC just in case I want to do something else. 

But there was a huge difference to me without the Yamaha AVR.  

Glad it's working out, and your right after it's all dialed in you can not get that kind of sound for a few times what it all cost. It's been about 9 years now and I am impressed everytime I listen. 

• Moderators

Only way to know is to try it ?

I don't know about Anthem at all but krell has good reviews. 

I had to go look up the Anthem, looks very nice, I would think the sound should be fine.   Part of the reason I tried a better AVR, an older one but I like the sound.   It makes everything easier to connect and run with different inputs. The sound of the DAC was good but only accepted certain connections and digital only, but if the sound was better I would have stuck with it.

Looks like the Anthem also has really good room correction, this might help later?  Never tried it before, probably should get the mic for this thing and see what it does. :o

4 hours ago, dtel said:

Only way to know is to try it ?

I don't know about Anthem at all but krell has good reviews. 

I had to go look up the Anthem, looks very nice, I would think the sound should be fine.   Part of the reason I tried a better AVR, an older one but I like the sound.   It makes everything easier to connect and run with different inputs. The sound of the DAC was good but only accepted certain connections and digital only, but if the sound was better I would have stuck with it.

Looks like the Anthem also has really good room correction, this might help later?  Never tried it before, probably should get the mic for this thing and see what it does. :o

Lets hope reviews like this are true. Otherwise my preamp has theater bypass and I can hook the laptop/dac and turntable up to the preamp. Also the analog out on the 4K player. The Sony 1000 is well regarded in it musical ability. I just worry about running out of rack space. 

Anthem is known to have about the best room correction available. And most would consider it the best pre/pro available in the reasonable price range (sub $3000). I’d have a hard time justifying the Thetas and other ~$30,000 units. 

pLmbiFW.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AHall said:

These things sounded pretty good after I turned the input sensitivity up on the xilica

Can you explain this a little bit?

I'm presuming you mean that you're driving the inputs of your Xilica with a higher voltage (by using more gain from your preamp).  If not, I'd like to know more.

I'd like my system to drive my inputs harder than it currently seems able to do.

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Can you explain this a little bit?

I'm presuming you mean that you're driving the inputs of your Xilica with a higher voltage (by using more gain from your preamp).  If not, I'd like to know more.

I'd like my system to drive my inputs harder than it currently seems able to do.

You can change you input sensitivity on the xilica. It came preset at 0.00db. I was using rca preouts, so the voltage is low. At -10db on the Yamaha volume knob it was about half as loud as my khorns were at -30db. So I bumped the input voltage up some. Now I get loud reference levels at -25 or less. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Md5150 said:

I've never seen an adjustment labled input sensitivity on xilica or is that the same as adjusting input gain?

I haven't either....but then....  I've never looked!!

So, is it a mechanical switch that might be on the back or might it be a choice driven off the menu?  (software driven)

If I'm understanding this correctly....then my vote would be menu driven since I don't want to dig around the back of my (rats) nest to find a switch!!

So....  messing around, I just now found this.

Is this what we're talking about? (highlight added by me)

"Mic settings An optional microphone preamp can be added to the XP series. The user can select line input or mic input from this menu. (Only available for XP-2040M, 3060M, 4080M, 8080M models only. Applies to phantom power as well.) IN 1-8 The user can choose between Line input or mic input. For mic input, the input will receive a 30dB gain. Each input channel can be selected individually."

https://xilica.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/XIL002_UserManuaI_XP.pdf

36 minutes ago, Coytee said:

So....  messing around, I just now found this.

Is this what we're talking about? (highlight added by me)

"Mic settings An optional microphone preamp can be added to the XP series. The user can select line input or mic input from this menu. (Only available for XP-2040M, 3060M, 4080M, 8080M models only. Applies to phantom power as well.) IN 1-8 The user can choose between Line input or mic input. For mic input, the input will receive a 30dB gain. Each input channel can be selected individually."

https://xilica.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/XIL002_UserManuaI_XP.pdf

Its in the software. Just to the left of where you set the PEQ’s there is an input menu. It shows gain tables there. 

Thanks!  I'll have to look.  I'll admit, I don't find the user interface on this nearly as intuitive as the EV unit I had prior.

To add insult to injury....  I have to go surreptitiously grab my wife's laptop since she (unknowingly) has the software on it!!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, AHall said:

Its in the software. Just to the left of where you set the PEQ’s there is an input menu. It shows gain tables there. 

Very nice feature, with the big difference in line voltage from consumer to Pro electronics this would help many people solve this problem. 

• 2 weeks later...

New anthem avm60 is in and it does sound sweet. Not nearly as 3d sounding as the krell so far. The phantom center effect was greatly reduced. I haven’t had a chance to run Arc yet though. I’m thinking I need a good tube preamp like a BAT or equivalent. 

On 5/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, AHall said:

CnEUjRd.jpg

hope this helps

Can't remember exactly which "button" to press but when you do a "mixer" will come up in a pop up window that has faders you can adjust to raise(or lower) the input gain. This is in the XConsole app. The XConsole app is MUCH easier to navigate than trying to do it on the front panel IMHO.

The "Meters" button will then bring up another pop up window that shows a more realistic picture of what the unit input and output channels are doing than the front panel meters.

2 hours ago, AHall said:

New anthem avm60 is in and it does sound sweet. Not nearly as 3d sounding as the krell so far. The phantom center effect was greatly reduced. I haven’t had a chance to run Arc yet though. I’m thinking I need a good tube preamp like a BAT or equivalent. 

ARC will bring things to the next level.  It does a great job of negating the effects of the room.