Jube/1802 - The Ultimate 2.1

AHall

The system sounded so good with factory components I was hesitant to change anything. But I trust that the experiences I’ve read on here of members that have changed the HF compression driver for a higher quality unit to be true. 

I had my heart set on TAD 4002, but they are unobtainium. And when you do find them, they are grossly expensive even used. I weighed my options and did as much research on the topic I could bare. The next best candidate for the money seemed like Faitalpro 20at. They are discontinued though. While you can get them, they are very rare. Even though people have gave testimony how great they are I figured I would try Radian 950pb’s. I liked the idea that I could upgrade the diaphragms in the future to beryllium when money allows. There is so little info on how drivers perform. And so many variants in room and system that you really have to take everything with a grain of salt. I was told by a dealer the Radian was slightly better in his opinion and his staffs opinion than the 20at. Being that they were similar priced I closed my eyes and hoped for the best. 

I know I would be happy with either and that I will never know what the other sounds like. But this time next year it won’t matter which driver was better after I get the new diaphragms 

t4cCsPW.jpg

4qnwHdg.jpg

IjKfbkn.jpg

• Like 2

Nice!  I saw the "treatments" on the wall....looked at the next picture and it turns out one of the treatments is a Cornwall!!  Nice (it slipped right past me at first)

Do you really find that Heresy workable in the middle?  

Really??

I once had an Academy between two LaScalas and found it laughable (I realize the Academy 'ain't no' Heresy)  Still I ended up selling all three of them (three Academy's) because I found them next to useless when working next to the LaScalas.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AHall said:

The system sounded so good with factory components I was hesitant to change anything. But I trust that the experiences I’ve read on here of members that have changed the HF compression driver for a higher quality unit to be true. 

Anything can be tweaked, sure....  but lest someone who's never heard a stock Jubilee.....  they are still no slouch out of the box.

Even a Porsche or Ferrari can be made to go faster....  aside from that.....you still have a Porsche or Ferrari.....  smile about it!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Nice!  I saw the "treatments" on the wall....looked at the next picture and it turns out one of the treatments is a Cornwall!!  Nice (it slipped right past me at first)

Do you really find that Heresy workable in the middle?  

Really??

I once had an Academy between two LaScalas and found it laughable (I realize the Academy 'ain't no' Heresy)  Still I ended up selling all three of them (three Academy's) because I found them next to useless when working next to the LaScalas.  

It actually works very well as a center and keeps up surprisingly well for what it is up against. It’s not a 100% seem-less transition for movies, but 99% of people would mostly likely consider it good enough. I will still be building a mini jube for the center. K510 with matching radian driver, with a belle-ish bass bin. Unless a 402 falls in my lap. In which case I’d probably do up a MEH.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The k510/radian combination was a much bigger upgrade to the system than I expected topping my heresy. No more dialogue boosting or adding spl to the center speaker to make out what they saying in movies. This is the little heresy that could now!

Im eager to have the aesthetics of a belle of up front. And even more eager to have a fully horn loaded pro series front stage. 

5Qu6weh.jpg

uZk05uz.jpg

This is the project I will be doing when I get home from work next week. Im thinking this will be an excellent upgrade for HT theater use. And an even more dramatic upgrade for when I start going down the sacd/multi channel critical listening road. I picked up a second xilica. This time a xp2040. It will allow me to run the Cornwall surround active and biamped. Same way as I have been running my center channel and jubilees.  

ypZYkcw.jpg

kl6HuIo.jpg

J9PSj4w.jpg

• Like 3

And lastly I’m short 3 channels of amplification with only having the anthem 2ch and anthem 5ch amplifiers for the system. Excluding the k402s that is, I’m still using my tube amp for them(for now anyway). Biamping sure does eat up some amp channels and rack space. So to conserve rack space, for my future upgrade list, I’ll be replacing the 2ch anthem with my newly arrived Sunfire cinema grand 5ch. I’ve read it is a great amp. I expect so being a bob carver amp. 

pYsISn6.jpg

59 minutes ago, Coytee said:

NICE job!!!

I've always viewed the 396 as a Cornwall on steroids....  perhaps we'll find out how accurate that is.  (different bass drivers I know).

396 is only good down to like 65hz (65-18k). Cornwall bass destroys a 396 (stat wise anyways). Conscala better comparison imho. 

Is that because the 396 uses a more industrial driver verses the K33??

(I have no clue I just going on the size of the box when I saw one from 50 feet away, looked similar in size to the Cornwall)

• Like 1

You need to be careful on interpreting those specifications. The 396 is a commercial product (IIRC) and those tend to be measured in half space (floor but no walls i.e., outside). The Cornwalls are a consumer product and will be measured (or adjusted) for a space that may have walls etc. There has been an evolution over the years on this measurement issue (adjusting for room gain, or corner loading etc). The technical specs may or may not give the specifics and how they measured it in the "old days" may not be true today. 

Bedsides many folks will augment the system with a subwoofer anyway, so you may not want to give too much worry to "how low do they go".

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 12:45 PM, AHall said:

I’m more of a mobile poster. It used to be so easy with the Photobucket app. I guess I’m lost anymore. 

I live on the western slope of colorado. 

Yeah, I used to use Tinypic until they started screwing up for me!

John Kuthe...

23 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

You need to be careful on interpreting those specifications. The 396 is a commercial product (IIRC) and those tend to be measured in half space (floor but no walls i.e., outside). The Cornwalls are a consumer product and will be measured (or adjusted) for a space that may have walls etc. There has been an evolution over the years on this measurement issue (adjusting for room gain, or corner loading etc). The technical specs may or may not give the specifics and how they measured it in the "old days" may not be true today. 

Bedsides many folks will augment the system with a subwoofer anyway, so you may not want to give to much worry to "how low do they go".

Good info thanks.

I had 904 sitting in the same spots as my cornwalls sat in the same system the corns ran on. The cornwalls had more bass than anything I've ever heard with no sub. Room filling chest pounding bass. The 904s even with twice as many 15" (and better 15" drivers), and much bigger cabs in same spots couldn't hold a candle to the bass from the corns. and 904s are rated to 47hz i think vs 396 65hz. both pro line. 

45 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Is that because the 396 uses a more industrial driver verses the K33??

(I have no clue I just going on the size of the box when I saw one from 50 feet away, looked similar in size to the Cornwall)

396 use a beefier 15. The k48 I think? Same as whats in the 904s I believe. 

But probably like prestontom said a little bit. The pro line is designed to be used with subs in every application there made for. The cornwalls were designed to be full range speakers (center to khorn i know). But its a big difference for sure. Pro line speakers need subs. Its how they are built. They would lose spl if they were designed to go lower. And it would be pointless if they never need to.