Recommend tube Preamp & Amp

powdermnky007

I'm going for the hybrid approach. tube preamp & solid state amp to compliment my RF-5's. For the solid state amp I looked at the adcom & rotel in the 80-120 watt range. I am looking to spend no more than $1500 bucks for both preamp & amp. But i didn't know a good brand of tube preamp. Most of the ones i found were in the $2000 price range *cough*. Can't afford that, sorry bob carver signature series!! *drool*

How would this setup compare to an Eico (sound quality not price :) )? Because that's the only other option i have thought of. I will get the best i can for 1500 bucks, I just wanted some thoughts from you guys.

thanks

-justin

About a month or so I was seeking exactly the same. After several auditions I finally bought an Hybrid called ACRH-1. The sound is simply "orgasmical". It will really deliver all the tonal qualities of Tube amplifiers using a SS out.

The same day (in the same location) I listened to pure Tubes and a SS, I would say that my Hybrid is capable of 95% of what an all tubes solution can. Oh, and the bass is more "tight".

http://www.margules.com.mx/magenta.htm

You can get more info here:

service@margules.com.mx

ACRH-1

The 2 low cost tube pre-amps that spring to mind are the bottlehead foreplay and the Decware ZTPRE. I have the latter and played for a few hours with the former.

both very good value for money in my book. The ZTPRE is so adjustable out of the box it should integrate well with any SS power amp you care to choose.

Good luck hunting!!

----------------

On 10/7/2002 7:45:59 PM Manuel Delaflor wrote:

About a month or so I was seeking exactly the same. After several auditions I finally bought an Hybrid called ACRH-1. The sound is simply "orgasmical". It will really deliver all the tonal qualities of Tube amplifiers using a SS out.

The same day (in the same location) I listened to pure Tubes and a SS, I would say that my Hybrid is capable of 95% of what an all tubes solution can. Oh, and the bass is more "tight".

Manuel Delaflor You said you audiioned several different models. What other models did listen to? This is in my price range, i might just get it :) What area do you live in? It sure would be nice to know where you listened to them at also :)

Justin, you live you live in houston. What good audio stores are there? I live in lake charles, la. Theres nothing here (my klipsch dealer only sells yamaha).

thanks

Klipsch aligns itself with commercial mid-fi grade gear. Their reputation has suffered dramatically and most dont even consider their models a valid contender (besides the Heritage to a certain extent). While that belief might be overboard, it is true they have landed squarely in the MID-FI "Circuit City - Tweeter camp," hoping to get the most $$$ from the average loon. I guess their RF series was an attempt to pull out but they still seem to rest firmly in the HT market and have no representation in better shops.

Curious, why are you discounting a tube amp or tube integrated?

"How would this setup compare to an Eico (sound quality not price :) )? Because that's the only other option i have thought of."

There are alot more intergrades than just the Eico in your price range. Plus good luck finding an eico(I assume hf 81) in good condition. Although this one looks like fun. ~> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1386098654 The vintage HH scott's seems to be popular around here also. Antique Sound Labs(ASL) offer some inexpensive alternatives, although I haven't heard them. I'm sure they don't offer the sound quality of some of the vintages but aleast you don't have to recondition them. I'm sure you can get plenty of suggestions from around here that would fit the bill. But then again, there is nothing wrong with the hybrid mix either. Thats actually what I may do myself in the near future...

i surely haven't ignored a tube amp or tube integrated, but i'm really poor... lol. So i'm doing some hi-fi bargin shopping if you will. I'm seriously looking at the Margules ACRH-1 hybrid integrated amplifier. It looks great. I want tube sound, but it doesn't have to be the BEST sounding rig in the world (that's once i make more than $500 a month. College - parttime job sucks... )

Do you have a good tube integrated you can reccommend?? that would be great!

sorry when i said eico i was being lazy. I was thinking of all old tube amps in general. like you said scott & also dynaco (spelling?). and others. But i'm half way scared to get used gear cause i don't have alot of money to throw around, so getting NOS tubes & figuring out what to do, with tweaks and mods kinda is a bit much. Someday... someday :)

however that unbuilt eico would be great :) i would love to build my own amp & bond with it (you guys know what i mean)

-justin

Justin,

Before make up my mind I went to several dealers, I listened from yamaha's to Bryston's. This last ones were really good for me before I went to hear some tubes gear. I listened to an old Fisher which was really warm, then I listened to a Jolida which was better, but the bass on both felt somehow tinny.

Then I went to Margules and listened to his top of the line tube preamps and tube amps (which, to my knowledge, are the only ones capable of working in pure Class A). What a revelation. All the warm sound from tubes with an Incredible ammount of Controled Bass. I listened to a 60WPC U280SC amp first alone and then twice as monoblocks with 120WRMS per channel.

I have no words to describe the sound.

Then Margules connected a HK integrated and the magic disappeared. I couldnt believe my ears. Sure, the sound was "good", the highs, the mids, the bass, all was there, but there was no natural timbre nor to much detail.

In the end he connected the ACRH-1. To my surprise, the magical sound came back. Of course, it is not exactly the same as the all tubes pure Class A top of the line gear, but for the price was absolutely astonishing. I coudlnt be happier with my buy. 9.gif

Give it a try, they have a nice return policy.

----------------

On 10/9/2002 12:56:37 PM deang wrote:

Since the Margules Acrh-1 is $1400, how did it get on your "short list", if you are looking for an amp in the $500 range?

Just curious.

----------------

i have about 1500 bucks to spend.

the preamp i am considering costs ~1000 bucks.

so that leaves ~500.

Powderjunkie,

Did you see the post I left concerning the Wright Sound WLA-12a preamp in the CJ thread? I left the link and a picture as well as comparisons to the DECWARE unit. There are a host of better amp options over the Adcom and Rotel. Also, at $1500, you have a ton of options in the integrated camp.

What is your music preference again?

mobiledomeless,

i didn't see your post, about CJ thread? can i get a link?

I did see the post about a newbie system and i am going to bid on that Jolida JD-1701 so please no body here bid against me =)

The main thing i want are tubes. Either in the preamp or integrated like in the jolida. But for that price i really can't pass it up!!

my musical preference is 90% blues. a little rock, but nothing heavier than godsmack... usually CLASSIC ROCK and a little jazz (mainly cause i don't have any jazz cds or vinyl.

thanks

-justin

See this thread, about half-way down. Wright Sound WLA-12a

CJ MV-52 Thread with WLA-12a preamp reference

As for the Jolida, I think you cant lose here; it will go cheap I bet. If it is not to your liking, auction it off with no loss. That B&K ST-202 with a tube preamp would be damn good too. Getting that Wright Sound pre on Audiogon and the B&K ST-202 would run you about 900-950 total.

But the little Jolida you are looking into neat. Hell, the smaller one is supposed to be a great little amp as well. See the Audio REview comments on it. Interesting (as far as they go).

Ok, I am the one always talking about close reading skills and I apparently failed while looking up all those value amp/preamp/integrated options in that other thread.

IT seems that Jolida integrated is NOT the Jolida JD 1701 model that is 50wpc with the 2 12AX7 pre and MOSFET output. IT is actually the JD 1703 which is a THREE channel amp that has 3 12AX7 with a 75wpc MOSFET SS output. Hell, I didnt even know they MADE a three channel version of the 1701. So I stand corrected. I thought something sounded amiss when I saw the 75wpc rating and I knew the regular 2 channel 1701 was only 50w.