Camping in the hot weather questions

billybob

57 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Gilley's always was when I lived in C. FL @CECAA850

Are there still the signs on 44 past the river going onto the island that proclaim "New Smyrna Bch The Sharkbite Capital of The World!"

Such a healthy place for all the boys and girls it's the sharkbite capital of the world, aah haa. Can't put quotes on it, Teddy didn't quite say that!

Don't know if it's still there or not.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:42 AM, willland said:

Get a cot with a nice pad.  Not an air mattress fan.  My 53 year old back thanks me every time.

LED lamp

garbage bag for wet and dirty shoes

battery fan

this for tick country

Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Tick Mosquito Chigger Repellent 24-Oz Pump Spray

All of this sounds good.

Yesterday I saw some wooly caterpillar types you do not want to touch. While swingblading (slingblading) a right of way, a guy I knew well got one on his arm, another time, I was wearing gloves working when a ground wasp flew into my glove for a sting. Both times, an oldtimer on the crew gave us first aid.

He wet some Red Man chewing tobacco and wet it and told me to hold it on bite. Another time, I saw him use a little gas on a rag and do the same. Think he said that it would have worked better if tobacco had been chewed first.(maybe an enzyme thing). The wooly caterpillar, recall dude going to the hospital for.

In a pinch, always have white vinegar in the car just in case. It is of use immediately in case of jellyfish contact. Would advise to apply liberally with spray bottle and soaking into a napkin, towel...

If I am bitten and have a anaphylactic reaction and did not have an epi-pen, I would have no compunction of using it for other emergency uses, until  you can get medical attention. Sister in  law carries a pen with her for bee/wasp stings.

Thanks!

BTW, was not on the chaingang, lol

Edit: and we all know what to do for stinging nettles...🤣

2 hours ago, billybob said:

All of this sounds good.

Yesterday I saw some wooly caterpillar types you do not want to touch. While swingblading (slingblading) a right of way, a guy I knew well got one on his arm, another time, I was wearing gloves working when a ground wasp flew into my glove for a sting. Both times, an oldtimer on the crew gave us first aid.

He wet some Red Man chewing tobacco and wet it and told me to hold it on bite. Another time, I saw him use a little gas on a rag and do the same. Think he said that it would have worked better if tobacco had been chewed first.(maybe an enzyme thing). The wooly caterpillar, recall dude going to the hospital for.

In a pinch, always have white vinegar in the car just in case. It is of use immediately in case of jellyfish contact. Would advise to apply liberally with spray bottle and soaking into a napkin, towel...

If I am bitten and have a anaphylactic reaction and did not have an epi-pen, I would have no compunction of using it for other emergency uses, until  you can get medical attention. Sister in  law carries a pen with her for bee/wasp stings.

Thanks!

BTW, was not on the chaingang, lol

Edit: and we all know what to do for stinging nettles...🤣

Epi-pen----$600.00?

JJK

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Lol, Just happened to see my sister-in law recently while looking for a camping spot. She was in garden tending it. Forgot to ask about her epi-pen but sure she keeps it close.

So, been roughing it in a nice camper on the Ocklocknee river nearby. Not much internet but, been enjoying it somewhat anyway. Funny thing is, a cell tower along with a Ma Bell tower same distance. Guess I am too close. Oh well, nice in some ways. The heat is on around about so keep those supplies handy. The bugs are bad...lol

• 6 months later...
On 5/13/2018 at 8:01 PM, billybob said:

Dang, brother has good insurance and retirement... unreal...thanks

On 5/13/2018 at 6:20 PM, JJkizak said:

Epi-pen----$600.00?

JJK

Some other brands have made it to market for $100 or less for a 2 pack. For some it  could be a lifesaver.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, richieb said:

=== yep, a beautiful look at the Hope Mountain Range. Part of Rodney’s vast empire. The chicken coops are just to the right and upwind of the tent. Eldon has this reserved each year - such an outdoorsman he is —

I see his jug of 'shine as well.