Camping in the hot weather questions

billybob

Hello fellow campers,

Just thinking about trying some camping out again. Been awhile so, thinking Wal-Mart for convenience if, I can find anyone there to help.

So, thinking about a one man tent type with easy setup and an dc to ac power converter to provide power for my old school computer.

Maybe a newer type of light, batter or recharge. Water, I have covered, along with ice cooler used along with ice. Bugspray, I will figure out.

Thinking something without DEET, and citrus. Cooling can be provided by ac in wagon. Cig lighters working so, though I saw in passing somewhere

a new or old idea product that may or not be battery operated for keeping cool in a small space. Do have a working Sharper Edge product

you put around your neck which works fairly well, especially with ice water for abit. So mainly, wondering about the converter, and it's capabilities.

This idea has just came upon me so, any thoughts welcomed, of course. Will reply to any ideas.

Thanks, Billy

Coleman makes a quick-pitch tent (get the "4 person" version, which is just big enough to accommodate a pair of adult sized sleeping cots, as opposed to the "2 person" which is kid sized).  Up in seconds, down takes a whole minute. 

Image result

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ski Bum said:

https://goo.gl/images/o27Hpz

Coleman makes a quick-pitch tent (get the "4 person" version, which is just big enough to accommodate a pair of adult sized sleeping cots, as opposed to the "2 person" which is kid sized).  Up in seconds, down takes a whole minute. 

LF bought a Coleman sun shelter for the deck. After 2 or 3 other brands which did not last, the Coleman frame looks like it will be here for awhile.

Good design and quality. Quick and easy, that is what am looking for.

I will look into it, wherever sold. There is a Target here also as well as Outdoor Shoppe, etc.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, lighting guy said:

Buy a spray bottle that has a battery powered fan attached to the nozzle.  It cools you down fast!

D

Thanks, yes those are good for the walking around. Had not thought of it. Could fill it with white vinegar and have dog, bear and bull

defense too! Or drink it with cubes...I like it.

Speaking of Coleman, have a couple of lanterns, stove, and propane in storage here. Just not into the hassle, since abit green nowadays.

Matter of fact, have a unopened new tent here on wheels but, probably an 8 man and, a hassle.

Just a thing is, we got used to just doing the state cabin thing at Cape San Blas. Nice an convenient with ac of course.:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- camping for us is something along the lines of a Super 8, Motel 6. Sorry to be of no help ---?!?

I hear you. That too...lol! In case of sun prostration...:excl2:

38 minutes ago, billybob said:

Thanks, yes those are good for the walking around. Had not thought of it. Could fill it with white vinegar and have dog, bear and bull

defense too! Or drink it with cubes...I like it.

Speaking of Coleman, have a couple of lanterns, stove, and propane in storage here. Just not into the hassle, since abit green nowadays.

Matter of fact, have a unopened new tent here on wheels but, probably an 8 man and, a hassle.

Just a thing is, we got used to just doing the state cabin thing at Cape San Blas. Nice an convenient with ac of course.:rolleyes:

I hear you. That too...lol! In case of sun prostration...:excl2:

---and in other words we will soon be camping in Hope AR ---?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, richieb said:

---and in other words we will soon be camping in Hope AR ---?

2 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

Does anyone stay awake to watch for snakes?

JJK

--- my comment was tongue-in-cheek. We will be "camping" at the Super 8! Snakes? I'd bet they are around but I've never seen one. I'd imagine several stacks of KP600's keep them at bay --?! Dtel spends time there, maybe he knows --?

• Haha 1

Stories:

First time as a Boy Scout we went to suburban site in February and there was a cold snap to -2 F.  We had Green Stamps sleeping bags and almost died of hypothermia.  A year later everyone had learned a lot and went on Operation Igloo in upstate New York.  No problem.

Later in college days a bunch of us in summer went on sort of a couples camp out.  No, no sex. But we were equally unprepared in one way.  

The lake was far too cold for any bathing and all of us were getting a bit smelly after a night in sleeping bags. I had a small bath towel and put half of it in a pot of warm water on the campfire and passed it into my date in the tent.  Good for washing up.  She eventually dumped me.  Smile.

Anyway.  You should consider Comfort Bath which you can find on the Internet.  Used in hospitals.  Essentially a large paper towel with something like diluted 409 in a plastic bag, so you can make them yourself.  Wipe down the clean parts of the body first and the stinky parts last.  

WMcD

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richieb said:

--- camping for us is something along the lines of a Super 8, Motel 6. Sorry to be of no help ---?!?

Sounds like my wife....her idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service. I grew up camping and loved it, but I don't see her doing that. I would have to get an air conditioned motor home to get her to go camping.

At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, they have a section of the infield for 'Glamping", glamorous camping. They rent you a tent and all the necessities.....it has an outdoor living room section also, with nice furniture. They sell out that section every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JJkizak said:

Does anyone stay awake to watch for snakes?

JJK

I will watch out for snakes, everyone just go to sleep and not worry one bit.  :o

There is a big section at Rodney's with plenty trees for shade and the whole place is shaded at night !  🌛 I think after the sun goes down for awhile it will cool off,  69-70 is the lows at night, unless there is a heat wave, a cool front would be well, cool ?

• Haha 3

We used to "camp out" when I was a kid, down here.

All we needed was a sleeping bag and a case of beer. 

What you take will be pretty specific to where you are going and what is available there... and how hardcore you camp.

• Thanks 1

A lot of good replies, one and all. Was up in the wee hours with a loved one so, will be back later to better address.

Recently in a thread I haunt remarked that instead of hovering inside during the heat, going to endeavor to embrace

the heat as, the out of doors is so necessary for a full and rewarding life, as I used to do. Florida, especially the

coast, another place I haunted. Sun umbrella blowing down the beach in the wind. Great fun.

• Like 2

We did a lot of overnight fishing in HI ... you need a permit to camp, not fish...

that's a lot of fun. Need a beach shower to rinse off in. Get awfully crunchy/itchy from the salt.

Camping here, in the immediate area ... A tent and sleeping bag  and something to keep your back off the rocks. It gets cold at night. 40` lower than daytime highs. Bugs are not a factor. Some flies.  No mosquitoes, yet. They come in mid July. Short season for 'em.

• Thanks 1

Looked at some power converters for camping Looking like an 800 watt may do the trick. Thought about a deep cycle battery as well, just in case.

A modified sine wave but, if it can power TV's and desktops, 60 hz should not present a big problem. Still reviewing similar on Amazon.

• Duracell DRINV800 High Power Inverter, 800 Watt, Black