Camping in the hot weather questions

billybob

Wellll, where you going camping helps a LOT...  You camping or whining?  Get a couple decent cots, bags if you're going to need them (Eddie Bauer works great for me...  -20 down on SALE for me a few years ago.  Best investment I ever made!  They always have cheaper ones on sale... Coleman btry pop up lantern, a nice cooler and have at it!  I usually take my buddies kids (19-24 and naturally each brings a friend) and head to a Natl Park somewhere.  Some have showers and some don't...  Improvise at that watering hole. Wear your shorts and take that big coffee mug w/you.  Leave your shorts on and have at it!   Laptops/AC/showers?  Ha!   Have fun and just go for it.  Couple years ago we hit Utah for 2 weeks...  Told the boys we needed 10 cases of water at Wallyworld in Grand Junction, Colo...  Last stop for cheap water.  They laffed...  I bought 4 cases and yuppers it was the youngest's turn to buy a case @ Zion Natl Park...  $9.95 for a case of Dasani...  Best laff of the trip!  You're campin w/a milion other campers...  Ya stink!  Have fun!   :)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, WillyBob said:

Lotsa luck with reception out here... The BorderPatrol have repeaters all over the place, so they can keep in communication. Radio free AZ. No TV w/o satellite

sorry, couldn't resist. That is how it is ...

Funny how I have not posted this myself. Actually may have. Walk around sometime sing it to myself and others.

Their version of Ring Of Fire a real fav... oh and I am left handed too.

As for reception, carry my own uplink...not a BP though...lol

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Dave1290 said:

Wellll, where you going camping helps a LOT...  You camping or whining?  Get a couple decent cots, bags if you're going to need them (Eddie Bauer works great for me...  -20 down on SALE for me a few years ago.  Best investment I ever made!  They always have cheaper ones on sale... Coleman btry pop up lantern, a nice cooler and have at it!  I usually take my buddies kids (19-24 and naturally each brings a friend) and head to a Natl Park somewhere.  Some have showers and some don't...  Improvise at that watering hole. Wear your shorts and take that big coffee mug w/you.  Leave your shorts on and have at it!   Laptops/AC/showers?  Ha!   Have fun and just go for it.  Couple years ago we hit Utah for 2 weeks...  Told the boys we needed 10 cases of water at Wallyworld in Grand Junction, Colo...  Last stop for cheap water.  They laffed...  I bought 4 cases and yuppers it was the youngest's turn to buy a case @ Zion Natl Park...  $9.95 for a case of Dasani...  Best laff of the trip!  You're campin w/a milion other campers...  Ya stink!  Have fun!   :)

That is what I was trying to avoid...lol. No, whine until it is time. Bring deodorant, lol. Good advice!

Coffee, I can figure out. Going to double my water capacity though...scary...lol

Fun in the shade...lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Speaking of shade ... A tarp or something might be nice.

Have thought of a roof over like on the deck here. Instant shade over a tent, like the one recc'ed here up top. Grab your icechest and cell, sitting in your folding chair with ventilation. Can picture it now. Oh, and my camera. If near a lake or salt body of water, some wind to be expected, at times.

33 minutes ago, richieb said:

--- one of my worst camping experiences, staying in a semi-fleabag motel and the AC wouldn't go below 75. A dump I tell ya' --

Lol, yes that is a nightmare scenario. The places I have been for instance the Cape on the gulf I mentioned where the cabins are,

is St. Joseph State Park, named after a Stoneman fellow, has wilderness camping high on a ridge, and other places there. The

peninsula is approx. 17 miles around from the cabins, with trails and signs to inland. Did a dayhike with my LF awhile back. It

was nice. She decided to go wading in the water with her shoes against my advice. Put them back on and well, she had blisters for a couple of weeks after. Had a full moon as it was darkthirty when we slowly arrived back to path of cabin. Not exactly roughing it as a TV and A/C awaited us. Have seen herds of deer, some bathing in the salt water, bayside. Other places around here, along the coast is nice, all the way and beyond PCBeach. We are blessed with state parks along the panhandle.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, billybob said:

Lol, yes that is a nightmare scenario. The places I have been for instance the Cape on the gulf I mentioned where the cabins are,

is St. Joseph State Park, named after a Stoneman fellow, has wilderness camping high on a ridge, and other places there. The

peninsula is approx. 17 miles around from the cabins, with trails and signs to inland. Did a dayhike with my LF awhile back. It

was nice. She decided to go wading in the water with her shoes against my advice. Put them back on and well, she had blisters for a couple of weeks after. Had a full moon as it was darkthirty when we slowly arrived back to path of cabin. Not exactly roughing it as a TV and A/C awaited us. Have seen herds of deer, some bathing in the salt water, bayside. Other places around here, along the coast is nice, all the way and beyond PCBeach. We are blessed with state parks along the panhandle.

I really like St George Island, it's like going back in time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I really like St George Island, it's like going back in time.

Just watchout for black fly season, they will eat you alive. Installed a Gilat system there in 2000 and had to work fast.

Alligator Point is cool too but, the east end is the same only larger type of biting flies.

Beautiful Beach and Lighthouse at St George...

8 minutes ago, billybob said:

Just watchout for black fly season, they will eat you alive. Installed a Gilat system there in 2000 and had to work fast.

Alligator Point is cool too but, the east end is the same only larger type of biting flies.

Beautiful Beach and Lighthouse at St George...

My Dad has a home about 30 miles east of PCB. I've gone to St George a few times for the day. I must have timed it right, because I don't remember any bugs around at all. It's just so peaceful there, and not many tourist.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

My Dad has a home about 30 miles east of PCB. I've gone to St George a few times for the day. I must have timed it right, because I don't remember any bugs around at all. It's just so peaceful there, and not many tourist.

That has been my experience as well with ones mentioned except for PCB and Mexico Beach which have stayed at them all. Condos in PCB

in season, out of season. Fine restaurants, all of them. Seafood...yum.

You can see Mexico Beach from the end of the Cape peninsula I mentioned. Beaches are the B-52 for me. Watchout for raccoons, lol

Just now, billybob said:

That has been my experience as well with ones mentioned except for PCB and Mexico Beach which have stayed at them all. Condos in PCB

in season, out of season. Fine restaurants, all of them. Seafood...yum.

You can see Mexico Beach from the end of the Cape peninsula I mentioned. Beaches are the B-52 for me. Watchout for raccoons, lol

South Beach, Daytona a crowd, Ormond Beach, Flagler, thinner but very nice.

• Moderators

Not camping but fun.

One of our favorite thing to do when in the PCB area is to rent a pontoon boat, if you have a few people it works out great. When we did this many times and we had a bunch of people with us and it's fun, a 24' pontoon boat cost about $250 a day if they have not gone up.(under 300) The boats holds 12 people, ice chests with food and drinks and comes with fuel and anything you need. You only go in the back bay not in the gulf, but it is huge with plenty of places to go. We usually head toward the back side of shell island and walk across to the gulf side but snorkel on the bay side, just to start off. 

It's really nice to go where you want when you want, it's from like 8 am to 6pm and plenty to do. Plenty of dolphins all around the bay and other smaller fish and things snorkeling, we usually anchor in about 4' of water to let everyone snorkel.

Much better than hanging out at the beach or tourist places. I have nothing to do with this place except as a customer, it's well worth it, we have been going there for years.

http://www.panamacityboatrentals.net/

• Thanks 1

For sure...used to be able to ride along the beach from Daytona down to there in the old days. I keep forgetting you spent time in area.

Been a few years for me so...:emotion-44:thanks, may go back to area sooner than later.

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

For sure...used to be able to ride along the beach from Daytona down to there in the old days. I keep forgetting you spent time in area.

Been a few years for me so...:emotion-44:thanks, may go back to area sooner than later.

I've never been able to ride the beach from Daytona to New Smyrna.  Isn't there an inlet along the way?

• Like 1

Gilley's always was when I lived in C. FL @CECAA850

Are there still the signs on 44 past the river going onto the island that proclaim "New Smyrna Bch The Sharkbite Capital of The World!"

Such a healthy place for all the boys and girls it's the sharkbite capital of the world, aah haa. Can't put quotes on it, Teddy didn't quite say that!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I've never been able to ride the beach from Daytona to New Smyrna.  Isn't there an inlet along the way?

Cannot recall now, seems like there is. Been wrong before so...lol this was back in 69 so...

35 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Actually, we spoke of this on the CC&C thread not very long ago. lol

Got my new Trico wiper blades on. Bought LF some decent Rain-Ex for her car not long ago. First time after

that, she went to Super-Lube, they said she needed new wipers...:emotion-14:Oh well, they traded her up to synthetic as well...:emotion-50:

Nevermind though, my guy put in synthetic without my knowledge. He asked me if I wanted to pull the oil out, and I said forget about it. Then, a long song and dance about syn versus regular oil...:lol:opinions, everybody has one it seems...