Sansui SR-929 Turntable - $599

japosey

Up for sale is Sansui's top of the line turntable from the late 70's/ early 80's. The table was purchased locally by me just recently. I've tested it and it seems to work perfectly. If you are in the DFW Metroplex, you are welcome to try it out prior to purchase. It does include a Audio Technic cartridge with the Sansui headshell. Not sure what model the cartridge is though. Cosmetically, the unit is in very good condition with the exception of the one blemish near the tonearm.

SR1.jpg

SR2.jpg

SR3.jpg

SR4.jpg

SR5.jpg

SR6.jpg

I am in Fort Worth and I have several turntables but none of them are what I would call high-end. I would be very interested in listening to this turntable to see if buying a high end table really makes that much of a difference in performance over a mid-range table. I'm willing to spend the money to get it but I don't want to do it blind without hearing if it really makes that much of a difference.

I can hook it up and you can play with it, but I have no idea of  the quality of the current cartridge or whether or not it is properly aligned.  So much depends on proper alignment and matching the TT with a good cartridge.  In my experience, I have been able to tell an improvement with certain higher-end tables.  However, it really depends on getting them setup properly.  I've not had any time to get this one setup and sit down to get some quality time evaluating it.  I bought this one on reputation alone and the knowledge that I could flip it.  I currently have a Pro-ject table I'm happy with and didn't buy the Sansui to replace it.  I just picked it up to flip it to someone who would appreciate it.  Having had several Technics 1200's  and 1210's over the years, this one seems to have similar build quality, but a nicer overall finish which I guess would be more appealing for home use vs. the commercial use of the Technics.

On 5/11/2018 at 10:43 PM, japosey said:

I can hook it up and you can play with it, but I have no idea of  the quality of the current cartridge or whether or not it is properly aligned.  So much depends on proper alignment and matching the TT with a good cartridge.  In my experience, I have been able to tell an improvement with certain higher-end tables.  However, it really depends on getting them setup properly.  I've not had any time to get this one setup and sit down to get some quality time evaluating it.  I bought this one on reputation alone and the knowledge that I could flip it.  I currently have a Pro-ject table I'm happy with and didn't buy the Sansui to replace it.  I just picked it up to flip it to someone who would appreciate it.  Having had several Technics 1200's  and 1210's over the years, this one seems to have similar build quality, but a nicer overall finish which I guess would be more appealing for home use vs. the commercial use of the Technics.

We know that a brand new Pro ject table runs about $400. So in your opinion how does this table sound compared to it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Direct drive rules!  If that turntable sounds as good as it looks, it's a good deal.  Direct drive can give you more authoritative bass, since the more powerful motor doesn't let the platter slow ever so slightly during heavily modulated passages, like many belt-drive platters do.  This means that sharp-edged bass notes are reproduced more realistically than you get with a belt-drive deck.

The yellow Audiotechnica cartridge may be a low-end entry level model, but it will let you get some idea of the sound of the 'table, but it will sound even better with a better cartridge.  In 2005, I bought a Technics SL-1400 MK2 turntable with a similar cartridge.  It sounded okay, but was much better once I replaced the cart with a Shure M97xE.

Five years later, I got a Technics SL-1210M5G, and had that M97 switched over to it, with a new stylus, and that was a big improvement.  I'm still enjoying that solid direct drive bass and treble clarity today.