Why is this PASS design so cheap?

jwc

On 5/12/2018 at 12:59 PM, NWCgrad said:

Could be copies of the Amp Camp amps which run around $350/kit (when available).

I've built the amp camp amp and this 'ain't it. Amp camp amp is only 7-8 watts and has much less parts. Only one output transistor per channel.

No, the Aleph Mini is a cut down version of the Aleph 3 as detailed over on DIYAUDIO. 10WPC instead of 30WPC.... At least as I understand it.

I've a 5WPC Amp Camp Amp in my main system for now until the Aleph Mini replaces it. :)

Edited by MattyW

I have a Pass XA25.  It says 25W but actually puts out about 80W(8ohms).  I think this is a difference for the First Watt amps.  Most of them don't put out over 20 watts.  If I were to pick one, it would be the SIT 2.  It is tube-like in sound.  A great match with horn speakers. 

I would not buy the Chinese amps.  Warranty repairs would be quite an issue. 

Edited by DALEDEEE
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 5:26 AM, fmalloy said:

What are you using for a preamp? Just curious...

I'm running a DACGEAR LDR Pre Mk2. My Abbas Audio DAC and phono stage both have quite a high output level so an active isn't needed. Output impedance can be set on it I believe via settings.

I understand impedance should be set quite low for the Pass amps though don't know what is optimal.

I got the same amp as @joshnich though it's with a mate for a full recap and painting the front and top panels metallic black in automotive 2Pac. The sides, back and bottom will be left naked aluminum as will the screws and power button.

Supposedly its sound has improved significantly already with work done. A combination of Mundorf and Nichicon Muse electrolytics + Russian silver micas.

Edited by MattyW