PSA 15S or 15V?

Brewmonkey

Hello, I've narrowed to these two subwoofers. My living room is tiled 16'X25'X10, RF7II's, RC64III, and RS35 surrounds. I want a down firing sub due to dogs with tails. The sub will be mainly for movies, because right now I find that the RF7II's have plenty of bass for music. That's subject to change as time goes by, and I may want to start using the sub with them. At this time I only have room for one subwoofer, and one of these is what I will purchase, trust me that I've spent the past week researching everything under $1000 (the most I can afford right now). I like PSA's warranty, 60 day trial period, free shipping, and that they are made here in the states. But I'm stuck on deciding which one, and I'm not sure but looking at these specs it looks like the sealed version performs better. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

15V Output

The 15V output numbers are acquired by using the Consumer Technology Association (CTA)™ Standard, ANSI/CTA-2010-B - Standard Method of Measurement for Subwoofers, formerly known as CEA-2010

16Hz - 25Hz: 115.8 dB
31Hz - 50Hz: 124.0 dB
63Hz - 100Hz: 126.3 dB
16Hz - 100Hz: 123.2 dB

15S Output

The 15S output numbers are acquired by using the Consumer Technology Association (CTA)™ Standard, ANSI/CTA-2010-B - Standard Method of Measurement for Subwoofers, formerly known as CEA-2010.

16Hz - 25Hz: 109.4 dB
31Hz - 50Hz: 121.8 dB
63Hz - 100Hz: 136.5 dB
16Hz - 100Hz: 121.6 dB

19 minutes ago, Brewmonkey said:

But I'm stuck on deciding which one, and I'm not sure but looking at these specs it looks like the sealed version performs better. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Not quite sure where the sealed performs "better" but do see where it has higher output at 63Hz to 100Hz.  Based on the test results, the 15V does have a flatter response and has higher output at 16Hz to 50Hz.

If mainly for HT, then the 15V could be a better choice.

Bill

• Like 1

As an owner of two PSA XV15se, I highly recommend their subs (and customer service that Tom offers). Where are you located?

Keep an eye on their outlet section, because you can save a bit of money as well.

I really like the finish on the subs - industrial, super durable finish.

2 hours ago, weziewoo said:

As an owner of two PSA XV15se, I highly recommend their subs (and customer service that Tom offers). Where are you located?

Keep an eye on their outlet section, because you can save a bit of money as well.

I really like the finish on the subs - industrial, super durable finish.

I'm in San Antonio, and I just received the 15V about 2 hours ago. Much like RF 7 II's, pictures really don't do it justice. I also like the finish, it's kind of like bed liner so nothing to ever worry about with it. I was thinking it wouldn't be enough, but it get's the job done and then some. The build quality is also very impressive, its like an M1 tank, lol.

Awesome!

It's one helluva sub. The ICE amp is pretty sweet - play with 'room size' and see how that works best for you. If you wanna dive into the rabbit hole, download REW (Room Equalizer Wizard)... but most of all, enjoy the sub and have fun!