I have a silly question on some Epic CF1 (And now Heresy's, too!)

Oicu812

I was extremely fortunate recently and picked up a pair of near mint CF3.  I am really impressed by the performance of these (and by the weight).

Due to this, I was looking to replace another set of speakers with some of the same type, but all I can find in Florida is a pair of CF1.

Is there a huge difference in the sound and performance between the two models?  A local guy wants $225 for his CF1 pair, and I need some help to decide...

Or should I try to pick up some KG 5.5?  Any other suggestions welcomed gladly!

Thanks in advance!

O

Edited by Oicu812

Congrats on the new CF-3's! I've never heard the CF-1 but although they are from the same line as the CF-3 they use a different horn and different horn driver, in fact the horn driver is the same as in the KG 5.5. Now the horn in the CF-1 is slightly better than the 5.5 horn but their dual 10" woofers should easily overpower the dual 6.5" woofers in the CF-1's. If it were me, I'd just get 5.5's if the price is right, they're very decent speakers and put out a nice thumpy sound.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 7:07 AM, jjptkd said:

Congrats on the new CF-3's! I've never heard the CF-1 but although they are from the same line as the CF-3 they use a different horn and different horn driver, in fact the horn driver is the same as in the KG 5.5. Now the horn in the CF-1 is slightly better than the 5.5 horn but their dual 10" woofers should easily overpower the dual 6.5" woofers in the CF-1's. If it were me, I'd just get 5.5's if the price is right, they're very decent speakers and put out a nice thumpy sound.

All good things to think about.  I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and insight.

I am a recent convert to the Temple of Hope© (Arkansas).  I had inherited a matched pair of KG4's from my brother in law, who didn't want them any more.  I was so impressed with them that I went out and bought a second pair of original, sequentially numbered set off of eBay from a seller within 10 miles (right around 6 months ago).  I felt that $200 was fair.  Those are now the front L&R for my 7.1 setup in the office.  As a matter of fact, I am listening to some Ritchie Blackmore / Blackmore's Night as I type this. 

That's what started my Klipsch odyssey.  Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, when I was at an estate auction where they were emptying a house.  I hadn't seen any Epics before, but there was a beautiful pair sitting out front.  Just about perfect, one little bump on the back side.  I figured I would go 3 or 4 hundred on them, not knowing anything about the model, but the construction quality and size told me they were really NICE speakers.  I opened the bidding at $100, and no one else even twitched.  It was only after I got home where I could do some reading, that I found out about the 3 versions of the CF3's.  I lucked out again, realizing from the depth of the tubes being right at 5.5", and the serials telling me that these were V1's.

You are right about the CF3's being thumpy.  I bet they are popular with the mega bass crowd.  It's a visceral feeling when the speakers move your shirt from across the room.  *<;o)

Now I've become a bit of a Klipsch hound.  I've got a guy coming to buy my Bose 901's today, driving 2 1/2 hours each way to get them.  And I am looking for something to replace them as the back set in my office with something from my new favorite company.  I made a decent profit on the 901's, so I could do KG 5.5's if I felt they were that much better than the CF1's to justify the extra $300.

I would like something that could stand up to the 300w RMS Bryston amp.  I should have mentioned that!

In order, IMHO (not fact):

Pass on the CF-1's.  They don't enjoy the legendary reputation the CF-3 and CF-4 do

Pass on the KG 5.5, if I understand correctly your goal to match the CF-3's.

Look for some CF-3's to match yours or find CF-4's and move the CF-3's to surround duty.  Both are hard to find on the used market, but not impossible.

Buy the Heresy for $250 immediately if they are in good condition, all drivers working, cabs in good shape.  you can.  I don't think they will match up well to the CF-3's but Heresy's go for $400 all day long.  Try them, decide for yourself and if you don't like the way the speakers match, sell them and with the extra $150  put the profits into your CF-4 fund. 

• Like 1

Wow, Florida must be the used Klipsch capitol of the world!  😁

Congrats on all those good deals you've found.  Coincidentally, my first Klipsch experience was also by way of KG-4's, these owned by my lifelong best friend.  He gave them to his brother though.  😡

• Like 1

@Oicu812 ... you LUCKY guy :D  No clue on the CF's, but did own KG5.5's and wasn't too impressed. Yes, boomy, but the sound did not come close to my Forte's or Cornwall's.  FYI, $250 is extremely cheap for a decent pair of Heresy's ... picking up a set later this week for $400 with a BLOWN tweeter :D 

@kvndoom ... yes; quite a bit of Klipsch speakers here in Florida. Unfortunately most are way overpriced. And yes ... loved my KG4's ... finally got rid of them because I now have 7 pair of Klipsh speakers :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

A new ad has popped up on Craigslist, a pair of Heresy's for $250.  Wow.  Now what do I pick?

I agree with WVU on this one, $250 is a steal for Heresy's. As for the other speakers it depends on what type of music you listen to. The Heresy's really excel in the mid range and being detailed and accurate. The bass is 'snappy' and good for rock and acoustic music but can be lacking without a subwoofer with really bass heavy music. The KG 5.5's are a really fun speaker but are much more geared toward hip hop and electronic music. They absolutely pound bass and have a 'open' sound but dont have that same mid range presence that Heresy's will have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Pass on the CF-1's.  They don't enjoy the legendary reputation the CF-3 and CF-4 do

Look for some CF-3's to match yours or find CF-4's and move the CF-3's to surround duty.  Both are hard to find on the used market, but not impossible.

Buy the Heresy for $250 immediately if they are in good condition, all drivers working, cabs in good shape.  you can.  I don't think they will match up well to the CF-3's but Heresy's go for $400 all day long.  Try them, decide for yourself and if you don't like the way the speakers match, sell them and with the extra $150  put the profits into your CF-4 fund. 

I will definitely take your advice on this.  Unfortunately, the guy with the Heresy's has yet to reply to me.  If he does, and they have a pulse, they shall be mine.  Even if on life support.

2 hours ago, kvndoom said:

Wow, Florida must be the used Klipsch capitol of the world!  😁

Congrats on all those good deals you've found.  Coincidentally, my first Klipsch experience was also by way of KG-4's, these owned by my lifelong best friend.  He gave them to his brother though.  😡

Thanks, I've been having fun with my new hobby!

2 hours ago, Emile said:

@Oicu812 ... you LUCKY guy :D  No clue on the CF's, but did own KG5.5's and wasn't too impressed. Yes, boomy, but the sound did not come close to my Forte's or Cornwall's.  FYI, $250 is extremely cheap for a decent pair of Heresy's ... picking up a set later this week for $400 with a BLOWN tweeter :D 

@kvndoom ... yes; quite a bit of Klipsch speakers here in Florida. Unfortunately most are way overpriced. And yes ... loved my KG4's ... finally got rid of them because I now have 7 pair of Klipsh speakers :D 

Cheers, Emile

I've been accused of that several times in my life, Emile!  Occasionally it's even been true...

2 hours ago, twk123 said:

I agree with WVU on this one, $250 is a steal for Heresy's. As for the other speakers it depends on what type of music you listen to. The Heresy's really excel in the mid range and being detailed and accurate. The bass is 'snappy' and good for rock and acoustic music but can be lacking without a subwoofer with really bass heavy music. The KG 5.5's are a really fun speaker but are much more geared toward hip hop and electronic music. They absolutely pound bass and have a 'open' sound but dont have that same mid range presence that Heresy's will have. 

I suffer from some really bad tinnitus, from a motorcycle tire blowing apart while I was filling it. It happened right next to my head.  Sound pressure and healthy vocal ranges trump everything now, and brute force is needed to override the ugly chords that live in my head constantly.  My days of aural discernment have been over for 25 years.

Here are the new babies!  (Not too bad for a C-note)

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

I suffer from some really bad tinnitus, from a motorcycle tire blowing apart while I was filling it. It happened right next to my head.  Sound pressure and healthy vocal ranges trump everything now, and brute force is needed to override the ugly chords that live in my head constantly.  My days of aural discernment have been over for 25 years.

Here are the new babies!  (Not too bad for a C-note)

Those look really nice! If that is the case I would go with the Heresy's. The high efficiency and midrange are very 'forward' and will be able to overcome the ringing. The KG's on the other hand are more laid back in the mid range but pound bass. Since you already have the CF-3, I would go with the Heresy also as it will round out your collection better with a 2 way and 3 way design where the KG 5.5 will sound more similar to your CF-3.

• Like 2

I feel your pain on tinnitus and that constant high pitch noise.  Some music is harder to listen to than others depending on what the tone is but most is ok.  I enjoy when everyone is gone and I can play it louder to overcome the tinnitus....even if for a little while.  You'll love those CF-3's.  I owned a pair for a few years and there's been times that I miss them.  But, I built a pair of Belle's and space didn't allow to keep too many around the house at that time as we were selling to move into a small rent house while our new house is being built.  They are great sounding speakers.

On 5/14/2018 at 4:17 PM, twk123 said:

Those look really nice! If that is the case I would go with the Heresy's. The high efficiency and midrange are very 'forward' and will be able to overcome the ringing. The KG's on the other hand are more laid back in the mid range but pound bass. Since you already have the CF-3, I would go with the Heresy also as it will round out your collection better with a 2 way and 3 way design where the KG 5.5 will sound more similar to your CF-3.

Thanks for the info!  I appreciate you taking the time, and I took your advice...

8 hours ago, avguytx said:

I feel your pain on tinnitus and that constant high pitch noise.  Some music is harder to listen to than others depending on what the tone is but most is ok.  I enjoy when everyone is gone and I can play it louder to overcome the tinnitus....even if for a little while.  You'll love those CF-3's.  I owned a pair for a few years and there's been times that I miss them.  But, I built a pair of Belle's and space didn't allow to keep too many around the house at that time as we were selling to move into a small rent house while our new house is being built.  They are great sounding speakers.

The CF3's really are great sounding speakers, and we love them already.  Suddenly we can hear what the people on TV are saying.  It's fabulous.

On 5/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, wvu80 said:

This was good advice!  The Heresies (Heresi?) are rat rods.  Some delamination in the plywood, bad black paint jobs, but both of them sound incredible.  The serial numbers are 90T731 and 90T547.  If I was correct in my reading, the letter "T" is for 1979?

Anyway, I talked him down to $160 on the pair, and brought them home with me.  Some carpenter's glue, clamping, wood putty, sanding, primer and paint will set them to rights.  The sound was clear and VERY loud.  Quite impressive for such small speakers.  They weigh a ton, and I am guessing that there are some good sized magnets and horns.  The grill cloth and frames seem to be glued in place, and the logo plates were glued to the top wood rail area, centered.  All of this can be corrected, obviously.  It doesn't matter to me how they look as much as how they sound.  And they sound VERY good.  They blow the Bose 901's out of the park.

Edited by Oicu812
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

Anyway, I talked him down to $160 on the pair, and brought them home with me.  Some carpenter's glue, clamping, wood putty, sanding, primer and paint will set them to rights. 

Good job.  You got great sound for a song (ahem) and it sounds like you know your way around a wood shop.

Not as great a deal as your $100 CF-3's.  Uh, you do know you got the Version 1, right?  :cool:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

Good job.  You got great sound for a song (ahem) and it sounds like you know your way around a wood shop.

Not as great a deal as your $100 CF-3's.  Uh, you do know you got the Version 1, right?  :cool:

Yes, I figured that out once I got them home.  Yet another lucky hit.   😁

It’s been good fun so far!

Edited by Oicu812

29 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

Yes, I figured that out once I got them home.  Yet another lucky hit.   😁

Lucky?  CF-3 v1 for $100?   :ohmy:  That's more than lucky my friend, you have a gift.  If I give you twenty bucks, will you buy some lottery tickets for me?  I could use a quarter of a billion right now.

I'd even cut you in for half.  :cool:

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Lucky?  CF-3 v1 for $100?   :ohmy:  That's more than lucky my friend, you have a gift.  If I give you twenty bucks, will you buy some lottery tickets for me?  I could use a quarter of a billion right now.

I'd even cut you in for half.  :cool:

Forget the lottery tickets... I'm going to give him $20 and see what kind of speakers he can find for me. :D

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kvndoom said:

Forget the lottery tickets... I'm going to give him $20 and see what kind of speakers he can find for me. :D

Let's say that if I find a set of La Scala's or Klipschorns for $100, they are coming home with me.

7 hours ago, kvndoom said:

Half would be extremely generous, thank you!  Too bad I moved out of West Virginia.

1 hour ago, Oicu812 said:

Half would be extremely generous, thank you!  Too bad I moved out of West Virginia.

I am generous, ask anyone who knows me!  Besides, what's a couple of hundred million between friends?  :D

I don't blame you for moving out of West Virginia, there's no used Klipsch stuff here. 

-Dave

Parkersburg

59 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I am generous, ask anyone who knows me!  Besides, what's a couple of hundred million between friends?  :D

I don't blame you for moving out of West Virginia, there's no used Klipsch stuff here. 

-Dave

Parkersburg

I worked in the IRS "Super Secret" data center just outside of Martinsburg for a couple of years.  The sign simply says "Business Park" out front, but the razor wire fence and guards armed with M16's say something entirely different.