PA speakers for home use

Emile

On 5/26/2018 at 9:42 PM, Thaddeus Smith said:

Part 1 complete.Behold, my wall of black. I've got a piece of MDF that is cut to fit along that front surface and will carve out hole for about 90% of it and then cover with fabric from Bob Crites to closely match the La Scalas. I'll take off the metal woofer grille at that point as well. The speaker fits in perfectly and has enough room to slightly angle up towards the MLP.

Awesome SIR :D Show us the pic when done.  (Almost) decided to put my 12" Yammie in a cabinet identical to Heresy I's ... getting a pair of HI's this Wednesday, so why not :D 

Cheers, Emile

On 5/26/2018 at 11:02 PM, dtel said:

Always wondered about the difference with home and pro,

Hi dtel; strange to hear Roy say "no difference." Got a pair of KPT-904's and IMHO they sound MUCH BETTER than my Cornwall's. Sure the cabinet size is a factor, but the woofers are much heavier (weight) and the horns have a 2" (voice coil) diaphragm instead of the home series 1" (?). Sound is AWESOME :D 

Cheers, Emile

@Thaddeus Smith ... just curious ... what do you think of your Yamaha "center" after you had some time to listen to it?  Just got a pair of Heresy I's and think it makes for a great sounding A/V system with my 12" Yamaha monitor.  Think I'll build a cabinet the same size as the Heresy's for it :D Yes; not up to my PRO speakers, but really great "presence" from these "small boxes."

Cheers, Emile

I'm really liking it. Any gripes or adjustments I have with the system are based on where my center channel content is coming from (dedicated, below vs seamless stereo, mid screen). It blends really well with the La Scalas though, and I haven't yet been put off by the sound in any panning scenes such as the intro to Quantum of Solace, etc.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 2:22 PM, Emile said:

Anyone for some advice on box size just for the 12" woofer? 

I heard of a guy putting a K33 in an MWM bin.   And I am thinking these that I am building may go into the "conservatory".   We have 2 houses on the property... They will fit in #2, if the boy moves...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'm really liking it. Any gripes or adjustments I have with the system are based on where my center channel content is coming from (dedicated, below vs seamless stereo, mid screen). It blends really well with the La Scalas though, and I haven't yet been put off by the sound in any panning scenes such as the intro to Quantum of Solace, etc.

Yes; I am really pleased with it :D  Only tried it with classical and rock ... sofar ... AWESOME :D 

• Moderators
On 5/31/2018 at 7:48 PM, WillyBob said:

I heard of a guy putting a K33 in an MWM bin.

True, for home use it's the prefered driver, unless you plan on running hundreds of watts, but I wouldn't recommend that anyway for health reasons. :blink2:

• Haha 2

OK; maybe a bit "off topic," but was wondering about these horns "sideways," i.e turned 90 degrees. @Thaddeus Smith has "his" turned sideways :D  Obviously the sound field becomes "tall" and less "wide" horizontally.  Any problems with that ... no clue on sound field angles / dispersion coming from these horns.

Major reason for asking is that I just picked up a set of Heresy's and really have "no room" left. But they would fit on top of my KPT-904 bass bins - NEXT to my K510 horns if I turn those 90 degrees :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

Polar sonograms (horizontal, vertical) for the K-510 horn with K-69-A driver...as measured by myself:

1525476875_K-510withK-69-Ahorizontalpolarsonogram.thumb.jpg.a7b4e850e9674e2d42617434a25c52d3.jpg

1565122063_K-510withK-69-Averticalpolarsonogram.thumb.jpg.025d798ea766173362e22df1fbe97b48.jpg

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Polar sonograms (horizontal, vertical) for the K-510 horn with K-69-A driver...as measured by myself:

@Chris A; Awesome, thank you SIR! You definitely are THE "guru!"

Guess I'll try my K-510's "vertically," as soon as my wife leaves next week for a short trip ... if I do it "now" she'll get upset thinking I'm getting K-402 horns :D 

Many thanks, Emile

99% of the time I'm watching shows or movies by myself or with my wife in the MLP. I notice off-axis content from this speaker isn't as good as when I'm sitting in the MLP, but it's still very listenable and dialogue is clear. Very rarely do we watch anything with a group of people, though, so I really don't care about off-axis performance.

• Thanks 1

And you've got to remember.. these are in a wedge shape with rubber feet on both a side and bottom surface, along with a built in pole mount in the bottom.. they're meant to be vertical as portable PA speakers or horizontal as stage monitors for performers, and certainly do their job well in either config.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dtel said:

True, for home use it's the prefered driver, unless you plan on running hundreds of watts, but I wouldn't recommend that anyway for health reasons. :blink2:

...unless....he's got kidney stones....

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Coytee said:

...unless....he's got kidney stones....

Jeez ... had an ultrasound kidney stone break-up procedure about 5 yrs ago ... never asked about the speakers :(  

OK; was going to build a box ... then did not like the crossover specs ... so, maybe a new crossover ... found a better one but required changing the diaphragm to an 8 ohm one ... next found out the 2" horn voice coil really is only 1" ... JEEZ :(

Found a SINGLE 1984 Heresy on eBay. Haha :D Problem solved. @wvu80 ... for your database ... $225, condition ? see pics, location Texas.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg