PA speakers for home use

Emile

Wondering if anyone uses PA speakers for HT. Found several interesting articles that indicate superior sound for minimal $$.  Of course WAF is 0/10 :( but maybe a good solution for the garage or the man-cave :D  Here is an article on cheap Monoprice speakers ... http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2553793-monoprice-15-passive-pa-speaker-review.html ... actually they're only $99 now ( or $110 powered). Of course there are many better PA speakers ... and most are MUCH cheaper than WAF walnut boxes. 

Now; my explanation for looking at PA speakers.  Have KPT-904's in my TV room and absolutely love them (horns have 3" diaphragms wit a 2" throat ... unbelievable :D ). OK; they are hooked up to a Marantz 2252b; not my AVR. AVR has KG3.5's (will replace those with Heresy's later this week :) ), KG1.5's and a horizontal center speaker. (Also Cornwall's in the rear on a seperate Yamaha CR-620 amp.)  Problem was with the center speaker ... Only have 7 inches between the TV and a lower shelf (over the fireplace). So; "best I could do was a KV2.  Not very good. So; got another KV2 and hooked it up parallel. Maybe better; maybe not :) More reading showed that a "horizontal" center is more about "good looks" vs good sound.  A vertical center similar to L/R is the way to go :D But, no way my wife would let me put another KPT-904 in the room - certainly not in front of her fireplace :D So, bought an (almost new) Yamaha S112IV off Reverb.com (97dB, 46lbs, 60-16kHz, 2" horn diaphragm) for $150 delivered; new retail about $350-400.

601205000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Yes, my wife will hate it (it has the "rat fur" covering :) ), but if it sounds good, Parts-Express has a pre-cut box of almost identical dimensions that I can use ... and walnut veneer to get a 10/10 WAF. May have to put a Klipsch logo on it when finished :) 

Let me know if I am crazy :D  

Cheers, Emile

I've got a pair of yamaha's similar to what's pictured and often wondered how one might sound when mated as a center channel with my la scalas.. voicing and all that. I might have to just throw it inside and test a bit. If it sounds good then I can worry about aesthetics.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested ... 15" Yamaha on eBay ... brand new, but damaged on the front ... $125 with 8 hours left :) ... Parts-Express has a box for it (pretty sure ... did not calculate volume/etc) ... https://www.parts-express.com/pa-knock-down-trapezoid-plywood-speaker-cabinet-for-15-driver--245-326 

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CM15V-15-Passive-Floor-Monitor-Black/132614102628?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I'd love to hear thoughts. I mean.. it can't be worse than an RC-64, Heresy, or KLF-C7/Academy for a center, right?

:D Bet you it will be better :D  Should have my 12" later this week and will let you know.

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

It literally costs me nothing to test, so I'll try to get one inside and hooked up/calibrated to see.

Too late ... my 12" (also series IV) just shipped :D  Just kidding ... Yeah; let us know. Maybe we can start a "new approach" for centers :)  (And if your wife likes it, pick up the cheap 15" one off eBay ... duratex; not rat fur :) )

Cheers, Emile

@Thaddeus Smith ... sorry to "bug" you, but did you try your 15" Yamaha as a center?  eBay auction is still at $125 with only 2 hrs to go. No problem paying $150 (if it sounds good to you) even though I already bought a 12' Yamaha monitor :D 

Many thanks; cheers, Emile

29 minutes ago, Emile said:

@Thaddeus Smith ... sorry to "bug" you, but did you try your 15" Yamaha as a center?  eBay auction is still at $125 with only 2 hrs to go. No problem paying $150 (if it sounds good to you) even though I already bought a 12' Yamaha monitor :D 

Many thanks; cheers, Emile

No. My wife is having friends over on Wednesday morning and was less than pleased with my tinkering. So I packed it up before I could even start Audyssey calibration and assured her I would wait until after Wednesday before I turn the living room back into a laboratory.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

No

Darn ... thanks anyhow.  Will do $140 on eBay just because it "might be pretty good." :D And can probably sell it on CL for $50 if I don't like it :D 

Cheers, Emile

I'm currently running without a center and fairly pleased with the mains acting as a phantom center, so my listening criteria will be "does it sound good enough to warrant building an entirely new TV stand and stripping down the speaker to make it living room friendly?"

• Haha 1

I did get curious, however, and set the pair up iny office on my little SEP tube amp and they sound pretty decent. Certainly not klipsch, but it might be close enough with that big horn and mid bass. It'll certainly be nice and clear for dialogue compared to little reference series center channels I've had in the past.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so I snuck everything inside after everyone went to bed. I didn't go through calibration efforts, but quickly set levels similar to the mains. Sonically, it sounds ok and I'm sure proper calibration would tighten things up. The problem for me is placement.. I've got a 70" tv and the middle is at eye level when sitting down.   I've gotten fairly used to the wide sound stage and imaging from running the La Scalas in phantom center mode and as such it sounds like it's coming from the center of the screen.

Because of how low my TV sits the center channel is in horizontal position and just very easily localized well below the screen.. So I don't think it passes the "is it worth the effort" test. They may, however, find a permanent residence in my office, rather than unused out in the garage.

• Like 1