PA speakers for home use

Emile

12 hours ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Ok, so I snuck everything inside after everyone went to bed

:D Haha ...Thanks! Looks like there is potential in this setup.  My TV is about 5 ft high, so no problem there ... but monitor will be right in front of the fireplace :(  actually should not be a problem as we only use it a couple of weeks per year (Florida) :).

Many thanks!

Cheers, Emile

A lot of audiophools, snobs, disparagingly refer to Klipsch as PA speakers.  I just spent a couple hours enjoying the KP-201 PA speakers I bought for the middle school band room.  I could listen to PA speakers like that the rest of my life.  If loud and clear = PA, then Klipsch is guilty as charged.

• Like 3

@Thaddeus Smith. Just unpacked it and replaced my center 92dB KV2 with this 97dB Yamaha S112IV (blasphemy).  Did not change any volume settings so the "new" center obviously is louder yes; overpowering my L/R/surrounds - KG3.2's and 1.5's on an Onkyo RZ810.  (Wanted to try it this way to see what it will be like with my 904's :D ... next hour :D  ). First impression; very nice clear, defined sound, good range.  Only tried it a low volume (wife is working in the office).  Nice large horn (2" VC; 1" throat, approx 13x8 outside dimension) ... very musical; doesn't seem to be "in your face," but we'll see what happens at louder volumes :D 

First thoughts ... highly recommended as center! More to follow! Anything I should look for in the sound?

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

Anyone for some advice on box size just for the 12" woofer?  

Explanation ... not fully tested, but initial impressions are awesome.  Only problem is the "rat fur" box which does not pass the WAF. So; thought I could build just a box for the 12' woofer and place the horn in an open box on top of it :D  Don't know the woofer specs :( (trying to get them from Parts-Express) but it seems a generally accepted "closed" box should be slightly larger than 1 cuft.  (And a "closed" box would give me "tighter bass" ... and a smaller box :) )

Appreciate your thoughts!

Cheers, Emile

P.S. Not tested on louder volumes, but was just now listening to IndyCar practice.  Engines sound great with the horns :D 

On 5/14/2018 at 11:03 AM, Emile said:

A vertical center similar to L/R is the way to go :D But, no way my wife would let me put another KPT-904 in the room - certainly not in front of her fireplace :D

If it were me I would frame the fireplace with a couple of MCM 1900 stacks and move the 904's to the back of the room and you could make the wife happy happy happy that no more 904's were brought in.

• Haha 1

Well pick the right one. Next year I can claim that age and here is what I did so snoops and pests would not interfere with my orderly life. I bought a 56 acre 65+ community of one household and I do what I want.

You know the shock of going from Cornwalls to 904's well. The 904's to the MCM is just as big a shock and I understand that these MWM bins with a 402 horn on them is another quantum leap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

HOLY COW ... had not even heard of these :D Think they will allow these in a 65+ community when I have to go there?

just to make friends with the neighbors, I am planning on building a couple

......  then donate them to the community. We have quite a few functions and I am sick of the junk PA's they use/rent... No, I don't live in a retirement community. The HOAs wouldn't have me.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Emile said:

Anyone for some advice on box size just for the 12" woofer?  

Probably 2 cuft size.  I have a 15" sub and the driver goes into a pretty good sized 3 cuft box.

Will any of these help?  I'm not sure Erich H will sell them unless you buy a DIYSoundgroup.com kit, but if he will he also offers blank front baffles you can cut to taste,

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-pack-cabinets/kit-flat-packs/home-theater-flat-packs.html

• Thanks 1

I'm tempted to take one back inside and run it through a proper Audyssey calibration to see if it changes my perception at all. I know the benefits of having a dedicated center, the problem is that in my setup it has to be practically on the floor or above the TV, which is about 3ft above ear level - neither of those options are insignificant when you're used to a phantom center right at ear height/mid-screen

• Like 1

Can you turn the Yamaha over?  That should give you enough cable to run it behind the other speaker on the right side...

Never mind, that would leave the Yamaha logo upside down. Unless it could be flipped too...?

• Haha 1

Oh cable isn't an issue. It's about 50 ft and coiled up out of frame. Working on wife acceptance today and then I'll run fresh cable behind the TV along with all the rest. I need to build a new TV stand so it can move backwards in line with the mains as well.

It doesn't look like very good wood underneath the carpet, so I may shave it down, pull out all the hanging eyelets, and spray paint the grill solid flat black. Just making sure it's suitable for the long haul before I go through the effort.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Haha ... here's mine ... smaller, 12" woofer :D  Seriously thinking about a new box :) 

IMG_2116.JPG

That's a beautiful setup, Emile!  I bet it sounds very nice!

I would catch some serious wife aggro if I tried that in the living room.  *<;o)