Best sound quality from Promedia 2.1

I've had these speakers for a few months now, and is there anything I can do to amp up these speakers or would it be a better to invest in something more powerful later down the road? I love these speakers, but I feel like I can get better sound from them with some tweaking.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Forgive my confusion/naivete: since these speakers connect via headphone jack, I've been looking at getting a DAC Headphone Amplifier (or at least an amplifier) to provide better signal/power.

That seemed to make sense until I came to this forum. (I'm also looking at replacing my 10-year-old Promedia 2.1 system with a new one here. I think the subwoofer hardly works anymore but I've put up with that...) Now I get the feeling there's something I'm missing here about sound quality. Maybe you guys would say the DAC or amp causes distortion...? I know these are powered speakers but surely that isn't the reason you say "no" to "tweaking." Right?

I run these speakers through my 2010 iMac as my sole home sound system. Spending a few hundred per speaker is not going to be an option on my fixed income, I'm just trying to make the best of it all. Thanks for lending an ear.

• 2 weeks later...

They are amped up about as far as they can be exiting the factory.

Still tho, you can't hardly beat them as far as a computer speaker is concerned. And they make good "take with me" systems in an RV or for a temporary stay somewhere. New ones are optioned with Bluetooth, so they will stand alone without the computer as an elcheapo stereo system. They are powered continuously unless you unplug them, so other people's cell phones can make them start playing "mysteriously". Hasn't been a problem for me.

On 5/14/2018 at 2:26 PM, Xero-Space said:

Guess I'll just save for something better in the future.

Used Heresy's are $300-$400 a pair. If you want to save more, try some of the KG series ... I often see "smaller" KG's on CraigsList for less than $200.  And they do sound very good.  Haha, then (later) upgrade to the Heritage or Pro speakers :D 

We use Promedia 2.1 in the bedroom for TV sound. 

For more intense, more extended, bass we put the subwoofer in a corner (pushed back all the way into the corner, but with both the speaker and the port unobstructed, i.e. facing out, port facing down one wall, and speaker facing down the other}.  Theoretically this should reinforce the deep bass by about 3 to 6 dB, depending on where the sub was originally..  

After about a year, we felt we needed more high treble shimmer, so we added Electro Voice T35 tweeters (Klipsch used hand selected, individually tested ones in the Klipschorn for about 60 years), along with an EV X-36 crossover network and an L-Pad, in two DIY little "towers" -- about  1 foot high -- each containing one of the small Promedia speakers, and one T35.  The "tiny towers" are on either side of the TV screen.  T35s aren't available NEW anymore, but they show up on eBay, etc.  Google answers all.  It takes about a week, with all kinds of programming to get them adjusted just right.  Any crossover that is as high and steep as the EV X-36 will do (3,500 Hz at 12 dB per octave) BUT if you can't find an X36, I'd recommend a steeper slope and higher frequency.  Klipsch, on the K-horn AK-4 and AK-5 uses 36 dB per octave and 4,500 Hz.  

The sound is much improved with these two changes.   More punch, more shimmer, brass and cymbals sound great!  Although we watch almost all movies in our HT with the K-horns, when we happen on one with a good score by accident in the bedroom, we can crank it up, and it doesn't distort.  The Promedia electronics are very good, and the above changes serve to increase efficiency.

I've had these speakers for a few months now, and is there anything I can do to amp up these speakers or would it be a better to invest in something more powerful later down the road? I love these speakers, but I feel like I can get better sound from them with some tweaking.

What are you looking for? I carry mine on vacation for music in a beach house. Plenty of music for small living room. More than adequate for computer speakers. If you need more you should step up to a component system. They are what they are and not designed to fill a large room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...