TPA3255 Power Supply

twk123

What do you mean by work? It should up to some limit, say around 50 -75 watts out per channel.

This is a SWAG. I have the TI dev board but have not had any time to mess with it. @DizRotus has been using one I believe and with a Meanwell supply I think but I don't know which one.

8 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Don't you need to know how many ampere's are required for maximum output?

For maximum yes of course a bigger supply will be necessary. That's why the smartazz that I am I asked what do you mean by work.  @twk123apologies if I offended you

• Like 1

Guest wdecho

To achieve the rated wattage out from the board you need this one.

https://www.parts-express.com/mean-well-mw-se-600-48-48-vdc-125a-600w-regulated-power-supply--320-317

Many at diyaudio use this one for less wattage out successfully. Should be plenty enough power with our speakers. I would not use the 3.3A one myself. 

https://www.parts-express.com/mean-well-mw-nes-350-48-48-vdc-73a-350w-regulated-switching-power-supply--320-3143

Guest wdecho
10 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

So you don't necessarily need a linear power supply?

As you already know I prefer a linear supply but one of the Meanwells will work entirely satisfactory. That is what Hypex is using in Claude's one. Also used by Benchmark in their amplifier among other manufacturers. You just had a bad experience with your Amp Camps being they were cheap lap top ones used in the kit to appeal to more first time builders saving cost. Instead of building a linear supply, which is exactly what I would have done, you would probably be perfectly fine buying this one for your Amp Camps. 24V is now what is considered best. 

https://www.parts-express.com/mean-well-mw-nes-150-24-24-vdc-65a-150w-regulated-switching-power-supply--320-314

26 minutes ago, babadono said:

For maximum yes of course a bigger supply will be necessary. That's why the smartazz that I am I asked what do you mean by work.  @twk123apologies if I offended you

Your all good, I will be powering my LaScalas with this so I really only need about 5W of the rated output. One thing I have found about Class D is the more headroom the better. It looks like the 7.3 amp has a fan, has anyone had issues with the noise? If its loud it might be worth the smaller one as I dont need that much final wattage.

On 5/14/2018 at 3:40 PM, babadono said:

What do you mean by work? It should up to some limit, say around 50 -75 watts out per channel.

This is a SWAG. I have the TI dev board but have not had any time to mess with it. @DizRotus has been using one I believe and with a Meanwell supply I think but I don't know which one.

Mean Well LRS-350-48

• 2 years later...

I'll be building a multi-channel amp in the coming weeks, and this question has been on my mind...linear vs switching. @twk123, which one did you go with, and would you go that route again? I already put together a TPA3255 with a linear supply and it sounds phenominal, but if I can go lighter on the PS, that wouldn't be bad.

I'll be putting together a 5 channel receiver with TPA3255s or 51s, with individual level adjustments per channel, and a master volume control. After reading all of the recommendations, I'm leaning towards a switching PS, just wanted to see how happy you were with the results.

@SemperFiAg08 which 3255 boards are you using? not the TI eval board?

I am finally getting going on a 2 channel amp using the eval board. I will be using a Meanwell switcher. I got the 600W one. I do not suffer from the anti digital crossover or anti switching P.S. meme. My ears are too old to hear any difference. Bummer about the P.S. I chose is the fan is on all the time, so this amp will be remoted to the utility closet.

[mention=57014]SemperFiAg08[/mention] which 3255 boards are you using? not the TI eval board?
I am finally getting going on a 2 channel amp using the eval board. I will be using a Meanwell switcher. I got the 600W one. I do not suffer from the anti digital crossover or anti switching P.S. meme. My ears are too old to hear any difference. Bummer about the P.S. I chose is the fan is on all the time, so this amp will be remoted to the utility closet.
I haven't made my mind up about the boards yet. I planned on using the 3e audio boards, but they're out of stock, currently.

I've got a TI eval board in my other amp, and love it. There's some Chinese clones of those boards (same layout, and appears to use similar parts), so I'm considering those.

I like the 3e boards because they have 3 channel TPA3251s, which I could use for the fronts, with a 2 channel for the rears, just need to wait for them to restock.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I have found that the 3e Audio TPA3255 boards really like low impedance (4Ω or even less) loads, and therefore benefit from power supplies that can deliver high current.
I noticed that. They've got lots of juice for 2-4 ohm, but it's cut significantly at 8 (1/4 advertised power).

I don't need a ton of power, just don't feel like paying gobs of money for TI, and these appear to be the middle ground.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk