RB 75’s

RC-7

RS- 7’s X4

RSW-12

Equipment

Marantz 5012

Screen Innovations Slate 120”

Sony 4K 285ES projector

I made 20 degree mounts for the 4 RS-7’s in the picture and they are wired ready to rock. I’m questioning if the newer model RF-7 ii’s or iii’s will work well with the older RS-7’s?

All components are going on the back wall in a new in wall cabinet I created and I installed last week.  The cabinet has hinges/door on the back side so that I can access from the attic space.  I also made the shelves 2 inches short on the backside so that wires can go from shelf to shelf without cutting holes.   I have not installed the shelves yet and would like some advice from you all on how I should stack the components in the cabinet?  (Receiver, Panamax, 4K player, cable box,  amazon 4K fire).  Anything else I should make room for in the component cabinet?

I love the way way that  a 7.2 system looks with a front stage consisting of 2 subs in-between the center and the right and left front speakers.  My question is if it sounds great in that formation?

Options I’m considering-

-Sellimg the RB- 75’s and finding original RF-7’s (if I can find some good ones)

-selling  RB 75’s and replacing with RF- 7ii’s or iii’s sellimg my RC-7 replacing it with the matching RC 64ii or iii

-upgrading to a 7.2 set up adding a 2nd RSW 12 or selling the RSW 12 and going with 2 new R- 115SW (for those of you that have experience with the 2 subs above and can compare them please give me your 2 cents)

FBC7F62A-39D9-4F80-BC98-F625C25EFBA9.jpeg

Not sure how the RSW-12 compares to the R-115SW as I haven't heard any of the newer sub models for many years. Been very happy with my 2 RSW-12s. I like your idea of waiting for another RSW-12 to come along but it might be a while. The RSW line is coming up on 20 years old so 'as-is' is very real when buying them used. Buying a new R-115SW is a great option. They're currently on sale at $719. I don't see a down side in having two different model subs, though I guess it depends on your OCD-ness.

IMO, your surrounds will work very well with any of the combinations you talked about in your first post above.

I have RB-75s and RF-7s, and agree with Bill in keeping those RB-75s. Yes they don't have the low end of the 7s but with your HT room I think a second sub would pressurize it nicely, overshadowing your RF-7 upgrade urge. 

Looks like you have slanted or cathedral ceilings. A bonus compared to all right angles.

Rivernugs,  

how do you have your 2 RSW’s configured/placed in the room.   I have options in my space.  I have a u shaped sectional coming that I will keep about 4 feet of the back wall. Yes what I think looks amazing D452F6CF-6126-42E8-B02E-1A2C477BCACA.thumb.jpeg.17a27bc95df9c0cf7b543c5163c08923.jpegillustration below) is everything on display under the screen (right front, right sub, center, left sub, left front). 

I am the point of no return installing barn wood on screen wall. I am going to hit the sack for tonight and hopefully I can get some input on the 2 subs under the projector screen advice.   Roght now I can get the power cords hidden and RCA’s As well.  

• Moderators

Congrats on the room!  It's looking great and you are putting together a first class home theater.  I like the others LOVE the sound of the RB-75's.  They are indeed difficult to find.  Even if you upgrade to the RF-7's, see if you can find a use for them somewhere else in your home.

As far as screen height, typically as long as your eyes are in the lower 1/3 of the screen, you are fine. 

On 5/14/2018 at 6:02 PM, shanerph said:

Options I’m considering-

-Sellimg the RB- 75’s and finding original RF-7’s (if I can find some good ones)

-selling  RB 75’s and replacing with RF- 7ii’s or iii’s sellimg my RC-7 replacing it with the matching RC 64ii or iii

-upgrading to a 7.2 set up adding a 2nd RSW 12 or selling the RSW 12 and going with 2 new R- 115SW (for those of you that have experience with the 2 subs above and can compare them please give me your 2 cents)

First of all, that wood front end looks great!  :emotion-21:

+++

I have a few opinions, "if it were me..."  :lol:

RB-75:  Those are the legendary almost un-obtanium Klipsch bookshelf speakers.  On the plus side you can sell them easily and probably get good money for them as they are highly sought after on the used market.  That would go a long ways to funding the RF-7's.  I've never heard the RB-75, I just know what I've read.  I don't know if RB-75's and a couple of strong subs would be a good substitute for the RF-7's, others could tell you better than me.

RC-7:  I like having the best center speaker you can afford, so replacing the RC-7 with RC-64 III would likely be a good choice.  Question:  If you go for the RF-7's, can you use an RF-7 as a center (behind the screen)?  Three identical speakers in the vertical position would be my first choice.

Subs:  A pair of 15" subs will give you a better theater experience and push about 40% more air than a pair of 12's IMO.

Your idea of FrontR - sub - Screen - Sub - FrontL is rock solid.  That's a classic setup for dual subs.

AVR:  I have the older model Marantz 6011 11.2 which is a year older but model step above the 5012 7.2.  I don't say that to be snooty I say that because the 5012 is putting out 100 wpc, maybe not enough for a full 7.2 theater setup with power hungry RF-7's.  I was going to suggest an external power amp to give your theater system that BOOM! factor but I don't think the 5012 has pre-outs.

I love the sound of my 6011 but at 110 wpc it's not any more powerful than the 5012.  I would suggest you listen to your setup in all its glory when it's fully configured and decide for yourself if it needs more horsepower.

6 hours ago, shanerph said:

Which Marantz would you go with?  

That depends on you in terms of features you want, budget and your comfort level with Accessories For Less.

I can recommend my Marantz 6011.  It processes up to 11.2 which includes 4 Atmos modules.  As you add surrounds, backs etc you do not lose any power because of the discrete amps which do not borrow power from the other amps' channels.  You would need an external two-channel amp to get 7.2.4.  Even though it's a 2017 model that sold for $1400 they are still available new from Amazon for $900, and from A4L $730 (currently out of stock).

The 2018 version of that  is the 6012, from Amazon for $1300.  It adds Alexa and HEOS.  Available from A4L for $949.

I like those models because you can add power amps as needed.  I can tell you the 6011 has a very strong amp section with 9 discrete amps at 110 wpc.  It's MUCH stronger than my Onkyo TX NR717 7.2 AVR at 110 wpc.

Check out A4L for other Marantz models.  They have a great rep for open box stuff and with some of the warranty's they offer sometimes you can actually do better than the standard factory warranty.