Goodwill Find

sctim

Hi , thanks for letting me join.I found a pair of Klipsch Heresy in Goodwill yesterday for 12.99 , I've read about these speakers ,but have never owned a pair, hooked them up to my Pioneer SX-850 this morning, WOW great sound.  I am posting pics , can someone tell me are these 1 or 2s, and their age, need to bring cabinets back to their glory, any suggestions, and any upgrades. Thanks

image.jpeg

Edited by sctim
No pic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Nice grab!!  I just bought a pair of HII's and one had water damage on the bottom for $350.  Cleaned up pretty well.  If you're looking at refinishing the veneer, I presume they're veneered, it's only about 1/32" thick.  I refinished the bottom of the one with damage and replaced a missing piece of veneer (how I know the thickness).  Surprisingly, they will take a bit of sanding.  Just be careful to not sand through.

Crites has some good upgrade goodies for these.  I'd go with the tweet diaphragms, cap upgrade, and slanted risers.

IMG_20180629_190758673_LL.jpg.4073b0415039300c474bdcb9b2cc7f7c.jpg

Repaired bottom.  Color matching was a bit of a chore, but fun.  Haven't finished over the stain yet.  Someone said they used 'tung oil'.  I may just go for a 'tung oil' variant.  Anyway, hope this gives you some ideas.  Again, sweet find.

• 3 weeks later...

@sctim that's a great deal.  You have Heresy 1's, as noted above vintage 1978 with drivers... K-77-M, K-55-V and K-22-E.  There's lots of details esp. under Technical Modifications for all kinds of updates / fix including working on the veneer (e.g. Watco or Howard's Restore either in walnut will help a lot) and light sanding / 000 steel wool.  You have an E type crossover with "oil can" capacitors which may be worth changing, but listen to them for a while first.  As noted above Bob Crites is a great source for advice, parts etc.  If you solder, the E crossover is an easy update on your own too.   Again, tons you can do it is up to you to determine how much or how little.  Perhaps search Heresy in the search bar and you'll find a treasure trove of information.

Well done!

I hate people who are so lucky :D

Unbelievable find for sure.  Clean them up, go through the insides and make sure all the connections are good and sit back and listen.  Don't get the upgrade bug as everyone else around here until you figure out what you really don't like.  Caps may need to go though.

Enjoy!!

• Haha 1

Winner, winner chicken dinner. Good for you, man! congrats. Enjoy them as is for a while. If you start messing with them you will surely end up with 10-12 various pairs of Klipsch littered all over your house and endless time wasted here. Forget you ever found this site, its for your own good.

• Haha 1

On 5/15/2018 at 3:02 PM, sctim said:

Hi , thanks for letting me join.I found a pair of Klipsch Heresy in Goodwill yesterday for 12.99 , I've read about these speakers ,but have never owned a pair, hooked them up to my Pioneer SX-850 this morning, WOW great sound.  I am posting pics , can someone tell me are these 1 or 2s, and their age, need to bring cabinets back to their glory, any suggestions, and any upgrades. Thanks

image.jpeg

That may be the score of the century!  So you got change back from your $20?  Well I guess the Mega Million winner in California did a little better. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Welcome to the rarefied club of Klipsch Forum Members Who Really, Really Scored.

Sure I did score a Marantz 8b for $50 but it would be declassie (sp) to actually mention that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2018 at 3:02 PM, sctim said:

Hi , thanks for letting me join.I found a pair of Klipsch Heresy in Goodwill yesterday for 12.99

Welcome to the forum.  FYI the REAL players here all love to flip speakers, make some nice cash.  I'm sure you're in that camp as well.

Sooo, if you decide you want to double your money and score legendary reputation points with the other Klipschites here, I've got $26 just burning a hole in my pocket I'd be willing to part with, just to help you get established here.

Always willing to help out a new Klipsch buddy.  B)

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

I am just now seeing this.  Congrats on the score!  They look to be in fantastic shape.  It never ceases to amaze me what people GIVE AWAY to the Goodwill.  I have found all of my Klipsch speakers and vintage gear at GW and the Salvation Army.  Funny thing I see GW put low end cheap stuff in their auction cabinets yet put the good stuff on the shelf.  Thank goodness for it as it lets enthusiasts like us scoop them up at very reasonable prices.

• 2 weeks later...

great find! welcome to the group. as for tweaks the first thing I’d suggest would be risers. you can get them from bob crities site or make some yourself.generally klipsch heritage can sound bright/harsh with silver speaker cables so keep it to copper based wire.

after that it’s up to you where you want to take the sound. you could replace mid or high drivers, replace caps on crossovers, add bracing or dampening material in the cabinet. lots of posts from guys that have done it & what their results/impressions were

• Like 1