Cool Theater Light Option

Rivernuggets

https://www.lifx.com/products/lifx

Expensive but the A19 has worked very well in the first few hours. First 'smart thing' in the house.  I'll get a second so both will be used in our three season back room. 

These would definitely add to a theater room's ambience. Lots of colors and many white light options (warm to cool). The brightness range can be adjusted 2-100% (1100 lumens max) in 1% increments.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

First 'smart thing' in the house.

That made me laugh 🤣

Welcome to the "smart home" rabbit hole. Those look pretty cool and no hub needed. I have Philips Hue bulbs thru out my house that connect with the hub. Only white ones tho as the colored options are a little pricey.

Voice control with Alexa is what really got me hooked with the whole "smart home" craze.

• Moderators

I have been saying for years I was going to change out some lights to RGB's. Around the room except behind the TV there is trim like crown moulding but it is about 4" from the ceiling, it controlled by a dimmer switch. Since it was done years ago it had dimmable white string lights which reflect on the ceiling, it's not terribly bright but gives a nice light to look good. 

It was originally put in because we had rear projection Tv and the screen reflect any light which is aggravating, this way we could turn off all other lights. 

For years I said I wanted to replace them with RGB LED's in strings but never did, I thought it would give a choice of colors and be much cheaper than the incandescents to run even if they rarely get used.  One day I will, we have LED in the rest of the house already.

Try to get a pic of what it looks like.

3 hours ago, dtel said:

Try to get a pic of what it looks like.

Do you mean the Z Strip? Here's an unboxing video. At 1:17 looks into the box. At 2:42 you can see it functioning in real time as he's changing brightness and colors via his phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=201&v=yi0_gpj1FuA

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 7:24 PM, BradWasTaken said:

Lifx is far superior over Phillips HUE in terms of contrast and accurate color. Great choice, I work in the smart home industry. We have a set of the Lifx Z strip in the bedroom behind the tv. 

IMG_0667.JPG

This looks pretty cool. Keep in mind though that when you watch TV to only have neutral white light as a back or bias light. 6500 K is the standard if you can set it to that temp. Here is a good article on bias lighting:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/bias-lighting-for-tv/

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rivernuggets said:

Do you mean the Z Strip? Here's an unboxing video. At 1:17 looks into the box. At 2:42 you can see it functioning in real time as he's changing brightness and colors via his phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=201&v=yi0_gpj1FuA

Ok I see what your talking about, I use something similar but the older style. You can change the color but only on the whole strip and you have to use the remote a phone will not work it. I use it under the edge of the outside bar to light up the front of it, they come in 16' lengths and can be cut shorter.

But it looks like the technology is advancing on these strips and LED's overall, plus the price is coming down on some of them. :emotion-21:

• Like 1