The Right 7.2 Speakers For My Theater?

I’m new to the forum and in the middle of building a dedicated home theater and am trying to decide what speakers to use.  I will be using a Denon AVRX-4400H to drive the system and will be putting the LCR speakers behind the AT screen.  The screen manufacture recommends 2-4 inches between the speaker and the screen, and I’m limited to 18” in depth from the wall to the screen, which is driving some of the decision making.  Right now, I’m looking at RP-250F for the front LR and the RP-450C for the center.  I was also thinking about doing the 250F in the center instead of the 450C, and am looking for thoughts on this.

For the rear surrounds, thinking RP-250S and for the center wall speakers the 5650 in wall due to mounting in the columns we are making.  To round out the system, thinking two R-10SW, one in the front under the stage and one in the back.

Has anyone done something similar or have experience or recommendations on the setup above? 

@"Fly-In Theater",

Welcome to the forum.

First, what is your max $$$ you can spend for the L-C-R?  What are the dimensions(L x W x H) of your room?

If you are using an AT screen, then best results will be achieved with identical L-C-R.

Also, for HT, get the best quality and largest subwoofer/s you can afford and will fit in said space.

Bill

Welcome to the forum! If you are doing an AT screen I would definitely go with 3 matching RP-250F speakers across the front. 'Center' speakers are meant to be horizontal to fit under a TV and that compromises a quite a bit of sound quality vs a floor-standing speaker. 

As for subwoofers, 10'' is not going to cut it for true HT duty. You have the placement correct as subs are best in the middle of the room along the wall with one directly in front and one in back. Depending on your room size, dual 12'' subs may be acceptable but 15'' is really going to make a difference to get some good bass response. 

As Willand mentioned, budget and room size are two key factors and from there we can help you pick and choose different components to optimize your setup. If you have a enough budget, I would look into the Klipsch Pro Cinema line which are designed to fit behind an AT screen. We have some dealers here on the forum who can get you what you need in this regard. 

44 minutes ago, willland said:

Also, for HT, get the best quality and largest subwoofer/s you can afford and will fit in said space.

I looked up the R-10SW Mr. FIT is interested in.  It has "300 dynamic watts of power."  Huh?  What the heck does that mean?

I finally found the PDF spec sheet and this is 300 watts peak, 150 watts continuous.

http://images.klipsch.com/R-10SW_-_Spec_Sheet_635424116393442000.pdf

A 10" sub with 150 watts is not very strong.  It will reinforce the bass in the speakers but it doesn't dig deep at 32 Hz and it won't move a lot of air.  That means you will hear some low sounds such as explosions but you won't "feel" it, if that makes any sense.

I would suggest Mr. FIT find a 15" sub for the cost of the two smaller ones, 500 watts or better.  This will give you a MUCH better, more visceral experience for home theater use.

@willland Bill, am I on the same page as you, here?

+++

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums @"Fly-in Theater". 

Just a heads up, you might want to change the way you encased your name in quotes.  I could not get that screen name to pop-up in Notifications.   For instance if you type Bill's name with an @ sign and his name, it shows up in a menu where you can pick out his name and he will be notified you want him to read a particular comment.  It shows up in blue, @willland

Depending on location, budget and luck 😛, putting speakers behind an AT screen means you don't have to worry too much about how they look... focus on the sound.

Opinions may vary but, when possible, always have the same LCR, to have a seamless front stage.

I would keep an eye on the used market around your area, maybe you can find some deals.

Thanks to all for the quick responses, you all ROCK! Also, thanks for the admin point out on the quotes, will try to change that...I'm a forum rookie for sure.  I will attempt to answer all posts in one.  The room  measures 13'7" x 21'8"x 10' high, and was built with 2x6 studs, hat channel, cotton insulation, and two layers of 5/8” sheetrock with green glue in between. The ceiling has a soffit on all 4 sides and the raised ceiling is being painted with a day sky and a night sky over that. We are trying to balance the look (décor), the AV, and the budget for a DIY finish.  As for the budget for speakers, looking to keep it ~$3500.  With the room design, we only have about 18" from the front wall to the screen (driving the 250F selection) and think I have some wiggle room on the subs and will check out the larger ones for fit, but there is not enough side space for the subs so I'm limited to the front and back for the subs.  Looking forward to the next round of advice and thank you again!

8 hours ago, “Fly-In Theater” said:

The room  measures 13'7" x 21'8"x 10' high

Decent size room.  

8 hours ago, “Fly-In Theater” said:

As for the budget for speakers, looking to keep it ~$3500.

Nice chunk to spend, many options.

15 hours ago, weziewoo said:

I would keep an eye on the used market around your area, maybe you can find some deals.

I agree totally.  Bang for the buck is usually better with the used market.

18 hours ago, “Fly-In Theater” said:

I’m limited to 18” in depth from the wall to the screen, which is driving some of the decision making.

Okay, let's start there.  Rear ported(ports or passive woofer) are not in my suggestions because of little room behind speakers.

Some compliant suggestions in no particular order.  Many others to choose from but these are what came to mind.

1)Triple Heresys(I, II, or III)

2)Triple Cornwalls(I, II, or III)

3)Triple RB-75's

4)Triple Chorus I's

I'll let others @Scrappydue, @MetropolisLakeOutfitters suggest some of the pro models that will work also in your space.

Where is your location?

Bill

• Like 1

For sure get matching LCR. If you anywhere local to Kansas City I’m actually selling my pro cinema setup for 3k. If you wanna look them up they are 3 kpt-904 and 4 kpt-100. I’d get you more info right now but i need to get ready for the pilgramage right now. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, willland said:

Decent size room.  

Nice chunk to spend, many options.

I agree totally.  Bang for the buck is usually better with the used market.

Okay, let's start there.  Rear ported(ports or passive woofer) are not in my suggestions because of little room behind speakers.

Some compliant suggestions in no particular order.  Many others to choose from but these are what came to mind.

1)Triple Heresys(I, II, or III)

2)Triple Cornwalls(I, II, or III)

3)Triple RB-75's

4)Triple Chorus I's

I'll let others @Scrappydue, @MetropolisLakeOutfitters suggest some of the pro models that will work also in your space.

Where is your location?

Bill

I'm just north of San Antonio, Tx