Forte III

kink56

Okay so here's the deal. I REALLY like my Forte Is with the Ti tweeter diaphragm and Crites crossover upgrade. I have a pair of Heresy IIIs that I also like very much.   I have been trying to get an even sweeter midrange and the Forte II with the tractrix horn is noted for that.   And with the reviews of the Forte III, I decided to go ahead with a new set of those instead of going with the Forte II based on the sound of the Heresy IIIs.

So, the Forte III sound too harsh in the midrange for my tastes.  The bass is tighter and more defined than my Forte I and the highs are as good or better than my Forte I, but the midrange is grainy and electronic sounding, not human. 

I do not want to get in a long discussion on room placement, electronics, "hey you need a SET 5 watt amp" etc, etc etc.   I am wondering if there is a phenolic midrange diaphragm I can swap the Ti diaphragm out with for the Forte III driver?    Or better yet, is there a better driver that will fit on the Forte III midrange horn?    At this point if I can get the Forte III midrange to sound more like the Forte I midrange, I will consider that a great success.  (because I like the bass on the Forte III better anyway). 

In the meantime, a healthy wad of cotton in the throat in each midrange horn is helping a bit. 

This discussion is really meaningless if we cannot know the details. Front end, amplification, cables, room size and placement, etc.

Furthermore from your previous post, I am not sure that you have given them sufficient break in time. How many hours on them?

Shakey

• Like 1

The word "harsh" can mean different things to different people. 

If tunes that sound good on your other speakers, perhaps in the same room, now sound harsh on you new fortes, then you need to rule out the obvious culprits. Are you listening at insanely loud levels etc.? Otherwise, it could be that things are set up correctly but you simply do not care for the sound of the Fortes.

At this point I would certainly not try and swap drivers and diaphragms etc. All that could necessitate a redesign and a redesign of the crossover. You should not need to redesign a new Forte.

It might be worth a try to pick up used Behringer DEQ2496 on eBay. These are inexpensive but they are also cheaply made, so it is not the goal but rather an experiment. It will take a bit of time to set up and get the gain settings correct. Try it and see if you can tame some of the harshness (which might be due to a multitude of reasons). Use the settings sparingly and be systematic and patient. It is more than just quickly spinning knobs and then all of the sudden .....

If this cures the harshness, then get a better equalizer if you need to. BTW, this will help with some possible "room problems" which may be a bigger deal than you realize.

Good luck,

-Tom

Its possible they just need some more break in time, maybe longer than you may think so I'd leave them playing 24/7 even if at lower volumes if possible. Also positioning may need to change from what you're use to, maybe try pointing them straight forward instead of toed in or toed in less than before maybe aimed just outside each ear? 

I very much doubt that different amps or additional break-in time is going to change a speaker from hate it to love it. And Swapping out drivers on brand new speakers strikes me as a bad idea.

Seems to me you keep buying speakers that you don’t like. Perhaps you need to spend a little more time listening to the speakers before buying them.  

I personally think you need to stay with the speakers you own or, next time, go physically listen to them somewhere before buying. That's just my almost 30 years past experience of working in the A/V industry. But to each their own. 

An object in possession seldom retains the lustre of an object in pursuit.

Taste the milk before you buy the cow.

That’s all I the sage I got growing right now... lol.

As for the OP disappearing, maybe he’s got other passions on the go now that summer is here... Golf, criusing around top down, catching some rays.

Just wish I had his disposable income. Jubes and a KPT-1802 would fit the bill!

• Like 1

Several have suggested "listening before buying".  That's a great idea and I've been pursuing it for weeks.  While there are plenty of Klipsch dealers on the Klipsch website, I have yet to find anywhere (in the state of AZ) that actually has either the Forte III or RFIII in a listening room. The OP and I only live about 30 miles from each other and he tells me that my experience is true and that there is no place to "listen".  I will be listening to his sometime as a result of his gracious offer though I'm headed out of town soon and briefly. If anyone knows otherwise, please share the info with me.  I've either been in or in contact with all the real Hi Fi stores in the state recently to no avail.  I've heard some great speakers though along the way.  Since I've been playing Klipch since the early 70's, I'd kind of like to stay what I know.  Also, I do travel and am not opposed to a reasonable distance (500-1000 miles) to do my research.  Only my wife's surgery keeps me from being in Hope this weekend.  That is probably the best place to hear a wide variety of Klipsch of course.  For the moment, I'm happy with my Cornwalls.

As i sit here listening to my FIII, I cannot imagine what the OP must be hearing. All  I experience is a full, detailed, room filling experience. These things image as well  anything I have owned. And the tone and dynamics are incredible. I know horns are not for everyone. But if you like the original forte, I don't understand how you can't fall hard for these.

Shakey

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those people who demand that you explain, prove, or provide evidence, or cites, etc, to an idea you are presenting... but then when you DO provide information to read, watch, listen to, they REFUSE (ignore-ance?) to review the information, because they were being DISHONEST about being open to the truth, or even willing to respectfully review the information which THEY DEMEANINGLY DEMANDED of you.

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:36 PM, Shakeydeal said:

As i sit here listening to my FIII, I cannot imagine what the OP must be hearing. All  I experience is a full, detailed, room filling experience. These things image as well  anything I have owned. And the tone and dynamics are incredible. I know horns are not for everyone. But if you like the original forte, I don't understand how you can't fall hard for these.

Shakey

I've heard the III's twice up in Hope and they have some of the best mids I've ever listened to.

Hi..New to forum and considering Forte iii’s after hearing them at a friends house and being blown away. Current set-up is Rotel-1065, Marantz CD player and Kef 107’s. Like the 107’s but bass is weak and looking for more of that “live” and dynamic sound I heard from the iii’s. My question involves speaker placement as one of the fortes (left) would have to be toed in and would be 3-8 inches from a wall due to fireplace, cabinetry. The other speaker would have lots of flexibility in terms of distance from wall..Wondering if the placement close to wall of left speaker would warp/effect bass, passive radiator sound to the point that it wouldn’t work well. Have no other options for placement but love the iii’s.