Forte III

kink56

27 minutes ago, Buck4511 said:

Hi..New to forum and considering Forte iii’s after hearing them at a friends house and being blown away. Current set-up is Rotel-1065, Marantz CD player and Kef 107’s. Like the 107’s but bass is weak and looking for more of that “live” and dynamic sound I heard from the iii’s. My question involves speaker placement as one of the fortes (left) would have to be toed in and would be 3-8 inches from a wall due to fireplace, cabinetry. The other speaker would have lots of flexibility in terms of distance from wall..Wondering if the placement close to wall of left speaker would warp/effect bass, passive radiator sound to the point that it wouldn’t work well. Have no other options for placement but love the iii’s.

If you care at all about imaging and creating a believable soundstage, both speakers must be placed symetrically in the room. This includes distance to the back and side walls and most importantly the amount of toe in. Identical, or as close to it as possible.

Shakey

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

If you care at all about imaging and creating a believable soundstage, both speakers must be placed symetrically in the room. This includes distance to the back and side walls and most importantly the amount of toe in. Identical, or as close to it as possible.

Shakey

Agree with Shakey, and it sounds as if you're able to accomplish that.

Thanks for thoughts..was concerned about left speaker environment being cramped as well as there is a solid wood cabinet that the left speaker will only be 1/2 inch from..so it sounds like u guys think they will still sound good with passive radiator that close to wall?

On 5/22/2018 at 6:31 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Shakey

Depends on the room. If I were to place speakers symmetrically in my room, you'd have a heavy left side tilt to the sound due to a large opening on the right side of the room. It's about balancing the acoustics depending on what your surroundings are.

22 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

To me, it as well be........

Shakey

Can you explain to me how changing speakers drivers,crossovers,electronics, etc is different than eq. Changing sound is changing sound is it not? Not all speakers sound the same so sound is alltered from the original no mater how you change it. How is this not a true statement? Im not very smart so enlighten me😎.

• Like 1

Changing crossover components does not ADD anything to the signal path. Neither does changing electronics (within reason). Don't forget that a stereo system is just that, a system. The front end, amplification, and connecting cables all play a part in the end result. Some are even of the mind that what goes before the speaker is just as (if not more) important than the speaker itself. I can mostly agree with that.

So to answer your question, adding MORE electronic devices than are absolutely necessary to the signal chain is not something I am a fan of. Sure tubes, SS output devices, capacitors, etc. are going to have a "signature". But the best systems I have heard all had one thing in common, simplicity. When things get complicated, fidelity usually goes right out the window.

Shakey

• Thanks 1

All I know is when I turn on my eq and set it to what my ears like I enjoy the sound better. I don't have a 10,000 dollar system so it may be limitations on my system but I listen for enjoyment but I also know the hobby is different for all of us. Peace and have a great day! 

I tried hard to not use eq but a little was needed in the end to knock off some peaks at the low end.  No added equipment as I did it all at the PC before the DAC.   I have no doubt that it is best to fix all you can prior to flipping on the EQ.

So my concern is the passive radiator functioning differently on left than right....and if any issues could be overcome? u can see in pic the situation on left. Incidentally, those are KEF 107’s..anyone heard both the 107’s and Forte iii’s? Picture wouldn’t upload..but it’s a semi corner..wall and wood built in entertainment center to immediate left of speaker..tight fit..on train speaker would have only glass slider behind it.

Sorry that was “speaker” would only have glass slider behind it. In other words, different speaker environments..doesn’t seem to affect the KEF’s at all..but those woofers are self contained with an upward output..no passive radiator.

I really think I do not like Ti diaphragms in the midrange.  For some reason though, they aren't quite as bad in the Heresy III horns.     As for trading my FIIIs for someone's mint FIIs, not out of the question!   But then I may be left with speakers that I do not like that (at this time) would bring about 1/2 the resale value of my FIIIs. 

As for room, equipment, placement, etc, I have 4 preamps, 4 power amps, 4 integrated amps and placement is the same for HIII, FI or FIII.   All I can say is ANY of them sound better than the damned Belles I had!      If they made a phenolic diaphragm for the FIII midrange I would swap in a minute.  Better still smoother driver that would screw on the FIII mid horns!     Not sure if the A-55G would fit or not.   I sold the ones I had in the Belles before I got the FIIIs and I am not willing to spend the money to find out.     I hope to move within 12 months and I will see how these behave in a different room before I will probably seek out some ProAc towers again.  

So, don't think I "disappear" because I have no idea that anyone posts until I sign on again, even though I am "set up" for email notifications. 

I think I solved my problem!  I am using the FIIIs for stands for my NHT Super Ones!   SMOOOTHHH. 

I hope to see  dbomberger.  I will gladly have him compare my FIs with my FIIIs.    I can't remember the other member that lives near Tucson, he is invited as well.   But since there is only ONE sweet spot, we will have to take turns. I am not having anyone sitting one someone's lap!