Altecs on EBTH and they don't know what they have...

Mighty Favog

My couple of experiences with EBTH is the bidders are fairly sophisticated, meaning they lay off until the last day.  In this 7 day auction there is only one bid for $1 and there are four days to go. 

About a year ago I was looking on EBTH for a couple pair of La Scala's close by that were up to $400 with a couple days to go.  Both pairs sold for over $1600, a price over the $1250 usual used price.

My guess is these will go for fair market value or better.

• Like 1

I picked up a near mint Oppo 83 player with two calibration discs, remote power cord and manual for $86 and a Klipsch SW-15 ii for $22 that needed repair in the rear passive. Both were excellent experiences. I do know however a buyer from the Emotiva site that won a pair of RF-7 ii and they arrived nearly destroyed from lack of shipping care. For something this large I would only bid if I were local....which would work out since these are local pick up only.....lol!

Tim

• Like 2

6 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

My guess, they'll end up going for $1000. Who knows what woofer is in there. 

I'll take the over and guess they'll go for $2000, and I know nothing about Altec's.  I've seen the going rate on those Altec drivers and they can sell for more than what the speaker is worth.

The worst thing about that particular EBTH auction is if you win them Tuesday night, you have to pick them up Wednesday in a two hour window from 11am to 1pm!

Pittsburgh is 3 hours from me if I want to bid on and win a giant pair of speakers for which I have no interest and my wife would hate.

They are certainly not worth $2000, 

On the Voice of the Theater (VOTT) cabinets, there was more than just one style and the choice of drivers could vary. Although the cabinet is large, the low frequency extension is not as great as you might imagine. The treble extension is definitely limited also (it is a two-way system). Some of the drivers could be worth something, especially if the woofer is a 515 or even an unmolested 416 (if I remember the numbers correctly). They are rebuildable and the cabinets can be modified, but then it becomes a real project. 

Basically, it is a large speaker and there is a limited market for large cabinets. In its stock form it will probably not even come close to the other large cabinets in terms of sonics. 

I am a bit of a wet blanket on this one, partly because I used to own one and had a real problem getting rid of it (ended up parting it out). If you search Craigslist for the next 6-12 months you will certainly find a better deal (after negotiation).

either way, good luck if you buy it,

-Tom

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

They are certainly not worth $2000, 

I am a bit of a wet blanket on this one, partly because I used to own one and had a real problem getting rid of it (ended up parting it out). If you search Craigslist for the next 6-12 months you will certainly find a better deal (after negotiation).

A wet blanket?  No, not at all.  We are just having some fun.  :)

I made the classic mistake of doing very shallow research on Ebay and found an ASKING price of $3200 for a VOTT A-7.  As we all know asking prices are not SOLD prices.

Just like the Price is Right, we have one guess at $1000, my guess at $2000.  What is your estimate for a selling price?

I'll have to agree with wvu80. I had absolutely no intention on buying a pair of HIP's at this time. But a pair of 84's showed up on the Face Book Marketplace. He was asking $400 but showing him cash in hand I got them for $250. About another $200 in parts to spruce them up and new caps from Bob and they look and sound damn good now!! Just have to crank em' to get the bass to thump.

I know, big difference in size.

• Like 1

The back panels look more like A7-500W Magnificents, and dimensions are larger than 825 cabs.

My guess? Magnificents were damaged, then dressed up for resale. Jazzy red & black grillcloth is

from MOJOTONE,  I just got some for a 1974 ALTEC alnico VOTT restoration in cherrywood cabs.

image.png.92b777705cb38376c1d9ab86ae7ea665.png

16 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Are you gonna snag these?? 😁

I don't think so.  It would require 8 hours of my day and I would have to find a friend who wants to go on a Wednesday road trip.  Plus my wife would rather see me paint the outside trim rather than take on another project she won't like no matter what.

Still, I like speaker projects I can get cheap, fix up then resell so I can fund my next fixer-up project, almost always Klipsch.  I'm not a flipper per se, but the fixing up is part of what I enjoy about this hobby.  I like bringing old unwanted speakers back to life.

+++

Seven hours left, $375.    Auction ends 8:28pm EDT.

14 hours ago, HiFi Heaven said:

I just got some for a 1974 ALTEC alnico VOTT restoration in cherrywood cabs.

14 hours ago, HiFi Heaven said:

The back panels look more like A7-500W Magnificents,

How do you value the ones for sale?

18 minutes ago, absolve2525 said:

Well, they went for $475. Maybe they would have sold for more if they had shown the woofers inside. Anyone here get them? Too far for me, and that pickup time window is ridiculous. 

Not me, and I agree with everything you said.  It's not like you have a two hour window to pick up a lamp!

I was only off on my valuation by $1525!  I think I'll stick to Heritage pricing.  😎

• Haha 1