Speakers are set up, how do I sub each ?

joessportster

My single drivers are set up and for my smallish room they sound great, I need to lift them off the floor around 13 inches. I would like to add a small sub to each speaker (I am thinking the dayton 1000, 10 inch sub on parts express 148.00)  The sub can double as the speaker stand, I set up this exact system for a friend years ago but can not recall the amp situation and how we connected the subs

My amps / pre are low power N.Pass (thanks Rich) so subs will need there own amp / crossover. Looking at the connections on the amps they have hi-pass connections but they are set up for stereo IE... left and right into 1 sub,  I want to have a left sub and a right sub, can i simply run my left speaker wire to 1 sub and only use the left hi-pass ? Ditto for the right side ?

Thoughts on a better way ?  this is mainly for music only....................  Joe

18 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Perfect amp for driving a pair of subs Thank you MUCH....................Now just need to find crossover.

I believe tat amp has dps for setting xover , check the specs, pretty sure it can be used like an active xover.

Rad you are correct, I went in and read the manual and the amp does include crossover options. I really appreciate your mentioning that amp it is perfect for what I am wanting to do. Thanks Man.

Hey Carl,

I understand the prevailing knowledge but I am going off experience with the EXACT same speakers. I built these years ago and sold them to a friend (who happened to be blind so hearing was his forte, he was also a professional musician and worked for a radio station)  We had these speakers set up approx 8 - 10 feet in front of his listening position maybe 10 feet apart and on hardwood floors  they sat on top of 18" Lucas THX subs (monstrous things, took 2 men and 3 kids to move them :)) bi amped using low watts on the single drivers / tweeters and as memory serves a sunfire amp on those subs. He fell in love, and I was mighty impressed. It was right up there with the best speaker systems I had / have heard for full range sound

I am attempting to build my end all setup (yea I know the cornscala was supposed to be that :() I dont have space for twin 18's but am hoping for twin 12's

Ya know whats sad ? I have a single 10" Klipsch sub in the room and hooked up right now and it sounds damn decent, Good in fact. Ron that was here today agreed with your assessment and felt things were fine as is.  The OCD in me will not rest though until the set up is as good as I feel / hear I can make it, I am feeling now that there are only 2 things missing, 1. the twin subs, &  2. a pair of those Expensive A$$ super tweeters to add that touch of air on top. 

Now whom  do I talk to about the drivers I found and what would be the best design / size cabinets.

Link to the driver  https://www.parts-express.com/peerless-830500-12-xls-subwoofer-4-ohm--299-2315,  Data sheet states 30 liter sealed box looks like 1.5 cubic foot box would be close.

15 hours ago, joessportster said:

We had these speakers set up approx 8 - 10 feet in front of his listening position maybe 10 feet apart and on hardwood floors 

Just because you got lucky in one room doesn't mean it will happen again.  Putting subs where they're aesthetically pleasing rarely gives the best results especially if there's more than one listening position.  Experimentation and measuring gives the best results.  With the size of the subs you're proposing to build, moving them won't be a major issue.

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Just because you got lucky in one room doesn't mean it will happen again.  Putting subs where they're aesthetically pleasing rarely gives the best results especially if there's more than one listening position.  Experimentation and measuring gives the best results.  With the size of the subs you're proposing to build, moving them won't be a major issue.

Quite accurate. I was a bit land locked with the size of my sub, so always just made it work the best that I could with the single location where I could put it. It wasn't horrible, but it definitely only sounded best in the primary listening position. Adding additional subs to the front wall helped round everything out and reinforce the sound. Everything is a compromise, and it doesn't have to all be at once.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Believe me I know this. I hate to think of all the times i have heard something sound superb, only to feel it sounded like crap in my setup and then the search continued, and continued, and continued and........................You get the pic.

I do appreciate the input.

Amp and subs in the house and performing fine for my purpose, even sound decent on movies watched Ragnarock with the boys last night  everyone was happy.  Have the amp crossing at 100Hz will be tweaking as time goes by but It sounds pretty close.

Get those super tweets and it is a complete project except for final finish which can wait...............:)