R-26PF Amp noise

-Q-

I recently bought these speakers.

In general, I am very happy with the sound quality and the convenience/versatility of these powered blue tooth speakers; however...

Unfortunately, they make noise. I set them up as a bedroom system and it is loud enough to be barely heard across the room (when the heat/AC is off) at my bed (12 feet from front of speakers).

The sound is similar to the sound of an old fashioned modem with white noise and a higher pitched whine (but not nearly so loud).

I think I will need to return them, but wanted to see if anyone else had any experience with this issue first.

Additional information:

1) Noise was present when I first turned them on - no inputs connected!

2) Noise is present when set to Aux, Phono(Line), Optical, or Blue Tooth

3) I hooked up a CD player and noise is still there when CD is paused or between songs

4) The volume control does not change the volume of the noise; however, the mute button will completely eliminate the noise.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by -Q-

Well, I returned my pair and just got the replacements - same noise!

Very disappointing as the ad-copy stated "ultra low-noise amplifier".

In any case, I do not notice the hiss in normal listening so I will keep them...mainly did not want to let the 30 day return period slip by, only to have the amp fail!

I wish they had chose a better amp, but I like the sound of these speakers and the convenience of the design is too good to return them!

I was asked (on another forum) if the hiss would be a distraction at low to moderate listening levels. Here is my response:

No, I wouldn't keep them if that were the case.
It is kind of strange, the white noise/hiss sound disappears at around 1-2 feet, but there is a whine (upper midrange?) that sounds like a pot on the stove if there is a little water on the bottom as it is heating up (at least on the newer flat eyes).
I just listened to it, and once I've tuned in on it, I am about 9' away when it starts to drop out of my perception.
However, if I an 9' away and listen for it, it takes around 30 seconds to find and confirm it. If I did not know it was there, I don't think it would find me (as in I would realize the noise was present) unless I was 6' or closer!. This is with nothing in the house running to make noise, and I live far from traffic noise.
It is probably not a bad amp in a normal application, but the horn can be merciless in its ability to project detail!
But as far as listening to music, I think I would need to be 6' out, with a pause of 30 seconds of complete silence in the music, and no AC, fridge, etc, and listening critically to notice it!
So no, I don't think I would ever notice it listening to music at low to moderate levels under normal conditions!
This is in the same range as the noise servo motors make, and I was surprised in the lab I used to run that the servo motor noise (which came and went depending on the position the motor was in - these were coordinate measuring machines) bothered me, but two girls (one late 20's and other early 30's) could not even hear it until I pointed it out to them! My hearing has certainly deteriorated with age (I'm 59), but for whatever reason, it seems to have stayed pretty good in this particular frequency range (hearing tests confirm that). There may be some higher frequency component that younger ears might detect which I don't hear at all.

I can add that if these would be a fail for near-field (~3') listening, but can't imagine anyone using these towers as near-field.

• 3 months later...