Aragon Amps vs. Emotiva XPA

The History Kid

Have a bead on some Aragon amplifiers, and am trying to get an idea for what kind of power and quality I'm dealing with.  There are two amps that stand the chance of being replaced with these Aragon amps, both are UPA series amps from Emotiva, one is the 00 subseries, which I am positive the Aragon would be an upgrade.

However, if I'm going to run an upgrade, I want it to be something that'd perform at the pace of the XPA that now anchors my system.  Does anyone have experience with the Aragon amplifiers?  How about both Aragon and Emotiva?  Comparable?  Vastly different?  If so, how?

ETA: @opusk2k9 - I think these are your amps that I've been stalking.

Which models of Aragon are you speaking about?

Generation I(Mondial owned) = 2004, 4004, 8008ST, 8008BB, etc.= overbuilt beasts with mil-spec high quality parts, able to easily drive the most demanding speakers

Generation II(Klipsch owned) = 2002, 2005, 2007, 3002, 3005, etc. = very well built with mil-spec parts, basically rebadged Acurus amps which ain't too shabby

As far as Aragon vs Emotiva, maybe biased here but I would choose Aragon first all day long for sound and build quality.  Service ability, maybe Emotiva because of current product line.  Though older Aragon/Acurus can be serviced through Indy Audio Labs recommended service company, Sybesma's Electronics.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/aragon-4004-mkii-vs-emotiva-xpa-2-gen-2.687110/

Bill

• Like 2

These seem to be generation II models, Klipsch owned.  The one in particular I'm looking at is the 2002 and/or the 2005.  My interest is piqued with these, especially the 2005, since my current 5 channel Emotiva is arguably the weakest amp they've ever produced.

2 hours ago, The History Kid said:

These seem to be generation II models, Klipsch owned.  The one in particular I'm looking at is the 2002 and/or the 2005.  My interest is piqued with these, especially the 2005, since my current 5 channel Emotiva is arguably the weakest amp they've ever produced.

I own the Acurus A200 which is the Aragon 2002 equivalent and did own two Acurus 200FIVE which is the 2005 equivalent and both are rock solid, neutral tonally, huge bass drive, dead quiet amps.  @derrickdj1 owns one of my previous 200FIVE amps and @Youthman owns one of my previous A200's.  The only real difference between these Aragon and Acurus amps is that the Aragon has twin 24,000uF power caps while the Acurus has twin 23,000uF power caps.  Of course casework is different.

Image result for aragon 2002              image.png.f66a69589d1220e39ed28cfde81bcc7f.png                                                                                         

Bill

• Like 2