University Classic vs the Jubilee (?)

gotcha... I wish I had a higher res scan of the classic plans that what I can find on the net.

I suppose you could put a front piece of trim on it and fill it with foam.

I can't afford any project at the moment, but have drooled over these for years.

I passed up a empty pair of Classic bass horns for not much more than shipping (maybe $400 in the day) in favor of Dr. Bruce Edgar's first little straight horn combo "System 100" + his Monolith.  (Bruce said I was his first customer so that was good)    I still LUST over the Classic and would love to have just one as am happy

with one speaker playing.  Whether a Cobraflex is the way to go for the midrange = ?  They have small mouth area so their low end isn't quite as strong as a larger mouth horn - but their path  length supports quite low.   I stripped the first two threads on one of my Cobraflex trying to mount a cheap PRV phenolic paging driver ;^(

my 0.7 scale Classic seems to be a good player - the back chamber is about 3/4" shy of accommodating a 12" speaker - either an adjustment on depth or overall scale would fix that for use with things like a B&CF 12pe32.  Nevertheless,  my cheap low Q (0.23) SWR-Eminence 10' does well with back chamber set to around 10 liters.

With this scale, the mouth area is pretty large - a "helper" woofer could be a small assisted B6 PPSL as DJK would favor.  But would the combination of woofer and midbass horn have the big open sound of what I figure the full sized Classic possesses ?

On 6/2/2018 at 8:45 PM, Marvel said:

My older son has become a good woodworker. I'm going to ask him about constructing the throats for me. He's only five or six hours away from me. I was just dropping the wife off for an overnight shift and thinking on the way home that if someone were set up to make that difficult part, they could probably be sold to folks who wanted to build these.

That's Dennis' corrected drawing isn't it?

Bruce

😁

Those throats won't be a problem.

- love to have just one University Classic as a reference - don't have space for a Minimus 7

a 0.7 scale Classic came out nice and ~6.1 cubic foot external bulk - needs to be an inch deeper to accommodate a 12 like 12pe32.  I have the back chamber size at ~10 liters per hornresp sim

wtp8cdN.jpg

20 some years ago,  a buddy and I threw together a simplified Classic - style folded horn with simple ramps coming off the throat - only graphed it indoors.   We couldn't agree on how to interpret the path's start  - it was roughly a 55Hz flare -  think its buried back

in my little shed.   

3 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

The version that D-man posted seem mostly legible.

Also this version seems more complex compared to the versions posted towards the end of Nico's restoration thread.

Note the bevel angles on the top and bottom of parts 3 and 4.

2 hours ago, karlson3 said:

20 some years ago,  a buddy and I threw together a simplified Classic - style folded horn with simple ramps coming off the throat - only graphed it indoors.   We couldn't agree on how to interpret the path's start  - it was roughly a 55Hz flare -  think its buried back

in my little shed.   

Amazing how old projects hang around, isn't it?

12 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

Amazing how old projects hang around, isn't it? 

I still have some tractrix horns for those galaxy drivers I need to finish... and need the vanes to finish the smith horns...

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I still have some tractrix horns for those galaxy drivers I need to finish... and need the vanes to finish the smith horns...

Funny, i was thinking of THOSE exact things when i wrote that.

You got any LS cabs wih DJK’s bass mod?

Half way done... the tops are routed out, new motorboards installed. Need to install a backs on the upper chamber (with the ports). Need to seal around the mid horn as I front mounted them, and the flanges aren't flat on the back side. They are getting there. I have the top part I routed out covered at the moment, so I could just use them as normal.

On 6/4/2018 at 10:35 PM, Invidiosulus said:

Also this version seems more complex compared to the versions posted towards the end of Nico's restoration thread. 

Note the bevel angles on the top and bottom of parts 3 and 4. 

Nope, they are the same. They are angled back as wl, so the top edges have to be beveled as well.

I need to get some foam core board and cut those pieces and tape them together to see how it looks.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Nope, they are the same. They are angled back as wl, so the top edges have to be beveled as well.

I need to get some foam core board and cut those pieces and tape them together to see how it looks.

Noooo, they are different. The two plans from the other thread don’t show the same positioning of the side pieces of the throat. 

The plans up there ^^^ show the 68 and 75 degree(relative)  bevel on the top and bottom of the side pieces of the throat.

The attached pic, poorly chopped together on my phone, shows the three different plans.

Upper left is the fuzzy scan version without the bevels. Upper right is the “corrected” version, also without bevels.

the bottom is the version with the bevels.

Looking at the pictures of the real deal in Nico’s thread you can see that the side pieces must be beveled top and bottom to sit at an angle.

So, lots of compound angles, still not a problem to build some.

😁

-Josh

B3E06CCF-E9F0-426A-B011-A15FF016986F.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 12:49 AM, Marvel said:

Some are fond of saying 'go big or go home'... yet right now I'mm listening to my Heresy IIs with 2a3 amps and they are superb.

Time for sleep... catch you later.

You should try a Super Heresy.

• 3 months later...