University Classic vs the Jubilee (?)

So... while I was helping the wife celebrate herbirthday, you were posting a lot. I did sneak off and spend time on the phone with my son Josh (aka Invidiosulus), discussing this. He is going to cut some scrap today to see how well the pieces fit together. The more we looked at the plans, the easier it looks. It's partly an optical illusion.

Armando emailed me about making the front of the throat piece 30" and making the look from the front cleaner than Nico's pedestal look. From a construction standpoint, also easier. I missed it and then sent the same idea back to him. He should get the credit, and his drawings are superb.

Bruce

btw, I also like this horn for two reasons. One is it only has a single mouth, not bifurcated, so the response is smoother, and two, with fewer folds, it can be crossed much higher, giving more options for the upper bass crossover.

Bruce

• Like 1

I gave her your greetings... 😉

Yes, Josh is the older son, and he has tools. We both think these won't be as difficult as they first appear.  If he gets something done today I see if he will post results.

Bruce

You know, that throat looks like it would lend itself nicely to carving a male mold in the shape of the open passage, laying-up the outside of the passage in fiberglass or even concrete, and removing the mold afterward. No complex cuts.

Edit: On second look, the taper is backwards and the male mold would be trapped with no way to get it out after the layup hardened.

Edited by Edgar
More information.
  • Like 2

I thought I felt my ears burning the other day.

I took the angles of the throat board(relative to the short side piece of the outer cab) and the throat sidewall piece(relative to the long side piece of the outer cab) and put them into a couple of different angled molding butt joint calculators I found online and it looks like the angle on the top of the throat side pieces can be cut at 3.74 degrees or so.

Maybe 3.737 degrees if one gets really picky.

Assuming I input the other angles correctly of course.

All that said it would probably be about as easy to just trim it to fit once the throat side pieces were attached to the front.

A good(sharp) handplane would take care of it in a few seconds.

I've had a couple of other furniture projects in the pipeline that are about wrapped up so I'll see if I can get some throat pieces cut out this weekend.

Cheers,

Josh

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ajsons said:

Josh,

I just re-checked/re-drew the throat pieces using only one reference point to make the measurements (every thing relative to the side panel) and I got different results. I just sent Bruce a new version of the side piece, I believe that one is closer to agree with the front piece. The old one was based relative to both the side piece and the motorboard, which are not parallel to one another, and I remember, it got really confusing.

Thanks for your help in squaring this away.

Thanks for all the work you’ve put into this.

I’ll try to take a look at it later today and get out to the shop to sacrifice some more plywood scraps in the name of science.