subwoofer cabinet / box design ?

joessportster

Ok. I am not up to the task of designing a box for a subwoofer, I have looked at the online calculators and the closest I can come up with is a 1.5 cubic foot box, which is a tad over size. I am thinking a sealed enclosure would be best for flatter response and faster transients any help with a good box design would be appreciated This is the drivers specs

sub specs.PNG

Here you go.  I went to the trouble to design a sealed 1.5 cuft box for you that will handle a 12" sub.  :cool:

https://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-pack-cabinets/subwoofer-flat-packs/sealed-subwoofer-flat-packs/denovo-1-5cuft-sub-flatpack.html

Here's the How To video.

I put together a 3 cuft flat pack for a sealed 15" sub using only Titebond II and 3M painters tape.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/2978222-diysoundgroup-flat-pack-can-you-really-put-together-using-only-tape.html

If you want a DIY 12" sub in a sealed enclosure, why not just get a Umax bundle w/flat pack and be done with it?

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-12-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7096

Then just get the 500 watt plate amp of your choice (w/bass boost for sealed) or get an Inuke 1000 w/dsp for $200.

I would suggest you get the Inuke 3000 w/dsp for $280.  It will power two subs and save you the cost of an extra amp when you add the second sub.

Thanks for those I did see them, I am not sure about the size it was my best guess, on the drivers uses sheet they mention a 30 liter cabinet which is actually closer to 1 cubic foot. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the proper size with measurements  the DIY site you mention is out of stock on every sub pack

5 hours ago, joessportster said:

Thanks for those I did see them, I am not sure about the size it was my best guess, on the drivers uses sheet they mention a 30 liter cabinet which is actually closer to 1 cubic foot. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the proper size with measurements  the DIY site you mention is out of stock on every sub pack

The best dimensions come from the driver manufacturer themselves.  They know better than anyone what size box to put their drivers in.  Remember, once they give you a size that it's the displacement AFTER you subtract the driver and braces so a one cubic ft box may end up being 1.25 cu ft after you add the driver and bracing.

Thanks all ... learning about the proper "volume."  Build a Parts-Express 15" subwoofer (kit) and think it is awesome. Now trying to put a Yamaha S112IV (OK; the components) into another box as my wife does not "allow" a "rat fur" stage monitor box in the living room :D  The woofer is a 12" Yamaha JAY51200 ... hoping to get the recommended box size from Yamaha or from the original mfg Eminence.  Thought I found a similar driver from Parts-Express ... but STRANGELY when you compare the recommended box volume from Parts-Express VERSUS the mfg's recommendation they are WAY, WAY different ... like a factor of 2! Why, and who do we believe?

Cheers, Emile

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

The best dimensions come from the driver manufacturer themselves.  They know better than anyone what size box to put their drivers in.  Remember, once they give you a size that it's the displacement AFTER you subtract the driver and braces so a one cubic ft box may end up being 1.25 cu ft after you add the driver and bracing.

Wouldnt the driver frame and bracing make the actual volume in the box lower ?  Parts express says they suggest a .75 cubic feet volume for the driver referenced

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joessportster said:

Wouldnt the driver frame and bracing make the actual volume in the box lower ?  Parts express says they suggest a .75 cubic feet volume for the driver referenced

Joe, Thanks! Yes, have to subtract the diver itself, etc. Did you find the specs/recommendations for my JAY51200 driver on Parts-Express.com?????? If you did, give me a link ... have been searching for days :( 

Many, many thanks :D  

2 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Have not looked

Joe, thanks! Your previous comment mentioned box size ).75cuft, so I thought you had "seen" the specs.  Appreciate you "looking," but please do not spend any time on it.  It is a "proprietary" model made by Eminence ... have emailed everyone ... sofar nothing :(

Cheers, Emile

2 minutes ago, joessportster said:

here is a link to the Emmenance equivalent / replacement,

Joe ... you are AWESOME! Thank you very.very much.  OK; designing the box now. Sealed bottom with 13x8" horn on top (inside box but open back) :D 

THANK YOU SIR!

32 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Wouldnt the driver frame and bracing make the actual volume in the box lower ? 

Yes, that's why you take the required volume for the driver (supplied by the manufacturer), add the volume that the bracing will take up and then add the volume that the portion of the driver that hangs in the box takes up.  That's why I said that to get a NET volume of 1 cubic foot, at times you need a GROSS volume of 1.25 (for example) ft.  The driver's physical displacement can be found in the driver specs most times.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Emile said:

Joe ... you are AWESOME! Thank you very.very much.  OK; designing the box now. Sealed bottom with 13x8" horn on top (inside box but open back) :D 

THANK YOU SIR!

You're not planning on building a subwoofer with that driver are you?  11mm of x-max and an fs of 47Hz are typically something you'd see in a mid bass driver. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

You're not planning on building a subwoofer with that driver are you?

No :D  It is/was a stage monitor speaker with "rat fur." WAF 0/10 :(  Now using it as a center speaker and quite pleased with it. 12" woofer plus a 14x8" horn with a 2" diaphragm.  No "deep" bass needed :D 

Cheers, Emile

16 minutes ago, Emile said:

No :D  It is/was a stage monitor speaker with "rat fur." WAF 0/10 :(  Now using it as a center speaker and quite pleased with it. 12" woofer plus a 14x8" horn with a 2" diaphragm.  No "deep" bass needed :D 

Cheers, Emile

Very cool.  I'll bet it's a great center channel.  Do you have an active or passive crossover for it?

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Very cool.  I'll bet it's a great center channel.  Do you have an active or passive crossover for it?

Thanks! Yeah; so far it is testing nicely. Using a passive xo. Primarily got it for the horn ... it can keep up with my KPT-904 horns :D  FYI ... @Thaddeus Smith is trying it with the 15" stage monitor (Yamaha S115..). See thread "PA speakers for home use."