Need help on KlipschHorn

RalphN

Welcome to the forum!

Be sure to push each Klipschorn into a room corner.   Slipping some pipe insulation from your hardware store on each edge of the full length of the tail board will help provide a good seal, even with an uneven wall.

You don't need a lot of amplifier power, because Klipschorns are more efficient than just about any other home speaker.  There is a caveat, though; with solid state amplifiers or receivers the good ones are generally about 100 watts or more.

In a 3,000 cu.ft. room, at normal listening distance, you only need about 65 watts per channel to provide 115 dB, more than anyone would want.  Any more than that would put your speakers at risk, to say nothing about your ears.

As to brands, I like NAD, Rotel, Marantz, Parasound and many others.  Personally, I would avoid Sony, or anything sold at a Big Box Store.  If you have a lot of money to spend there would be McIntosh and Luxman. 

You have a choice between "separates" -- A pre-amp and a power amp in separate boxes, or an integrated amp with preamp and power amp in the same box, or a receiver with a radio, preamp and power amp all in one box.  I tend to like separates.  If you get them, don't plug in or unplug and of the cords with anything plugged in to the ac power, or given the efficiency of the Klipschorns, there will be nothing but a crater left where your neighborhood once was.

You posted in 2 channel, so I guess you will use them for music.  They are also suited to home theater, but for that you would probably want an AV preamp/processor and multi-channel power amp, or an AV receiver.  Many, many of the output wattages on these are fudged, so make sure the specs say you are getting 65 or more watts per channel, with all channels operating, and low distortion, 20 to 20,000 Hz.

I find tone controls useful, so I strongly recommend getting them (on the preamp, integrated amp, or preamp/processor or AV receiver.  The Klipschorns reveal a lot in the recorded sources, including any inbalance.  Tone controls will help with this.

Good Luck!  Don't be a stranger.

• Like 2

Need some more information to really help. But here are a few tips. Do use the pipe foam an the tail board and also on the horizontal part of the bass bin. Also I think the float foam for pools might work better I plan on trying it because the pipe foam from hardware store seems to loos its springiness.  I see your crossovers are original you may want to put new capacitors in them contact Bob Crites if you need help on that. I also noted your on a smooth hard floor you might want to try putting furniture Grippers on bottom of the Khorns.

As far as power you don't need much I run mine with a 1970s HK 430 reciever 25 watts. But you do need a quality amp.

Those ones you got look awesome by the way.

There are several places to get amps or receiver's you may not know of.... Cory on here can get several.....Accesories4less......Emotiva.......what is your budget and is your goal 2 channel or Home theater ? Oh and welcome to the forum.

• Like 1

You only need to foam on the horizontal part of the bass bin (the tophat) if you don't have squared corners.  If the tophats don't fit flush into the corners then add as you desire.  I hate to wreck the aesthetics if you don't need to.

Amp has stated, 10+ watts, 25 really good if not in a very large room listening loud.  Highest quality amp with the LOWEST NOISE.  You will hear every bit of hum or hiss with the k-horns.

• Like 1

I think you do need it on the horizontal because when you put it on the tail board it pushes it away from the corner. But you do what you feel is best. RalphN what is your budget that's the most telling part of your question and any recommendations. 

• Like 1

thank you everyone for your  reply. Here's some more info. These will be installed in a retro music room with only one source connected to it - turntable.  My budget is up to a grand. Any particular amp brand and model would be preferable?  

Well that helps it will need a pre amp or a phono input.  I would call Cory....accesories4less.....Emotiva......1000  wil probably mean a integrated amp. I would also look at HK430 or old 70s receivers they all had phono inputs . Not sure where you live but maybe you can borrow a few and see which ones you like. Not sure of your audio experience but you are about to get over loaded with reading this forum....lol.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RalphN said:

. These will be installed in a retro music room with only one source connected to it - turntable.  My budget is up to a grand. Any particular amp brand and model would be preferable?  

I don't know specific makes or models but the Khorn is known to shine with tube amps.  I would go that way if I were you.

You might put out a "want to buy" WTB in the Garage Sale section of this forum and see who has a tube amp.  We have forum members who have numerous tube amps and maybe someone would part with one in your price range.

You might also head over to the Tubes sub-section and start a thread asking for some advice on what kind of tube amp is best for a Khorn.  I know nothing about tube amps but those guys know everything!

• Like 1

Use ALL your budget.  Anything less isn't really what you want to do when you are mating the amp up to k-horns.  The better you feed them, the more rewarded you will be.  There are serious differences in what you can accomplish with k-horns depending on what you drive them with.

Don't go on the cheap, inexpensive is a different story if you can find some good deals.

8 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Use ALL your budget.  Anything less isn't really what you want to do when you are mating the amp up to k-horns.  The better you feed them, the more rewarded you will be.  There are serious differences in what you can accomplish with k-horns depending on what you drive them with.

Don't go on the cheap, inexpensive is a different story if you can find some good deals.

I agree “cheap” is bad, but “inexpensive” can be good.  I wouldn’t trade my DIY class D amps for most amps costing many times more.  I’d rather spend $600 on a professionally refurbished h/k 430 than the same, or more, on most other choices.  With efficient Klipsch quality low distortion power is much more important than higher power with distortion.  Quality is way more important than quantity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ricktate said:

You wont be sorry if you get this......  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kardon-430-Twin-Powered-Stereo-Receiver-Made-in-Japan-AMAZING-CONDITION/132626993896?hash=item1ee12f52e8:g:6tYAAOSw3uFa~itx     

There are places to get it refurbished if you want that also....But with a good cleaning it will work awesome.

Welcome Ralph.

At $189.99 plus $70 shipping, that h/k 430 seems to be a value.  That said, if you’re not ready and willing to spend as much again, or more, to have it expertly refurbished, then it’s not for you.  If you paid a qualified tech $350 to replace capacitors and other age related items, you would have a classic vintage receiver that would best any new amp in that price range.  The tuners and phono sections in h/k 430s are excellent.

Please note the eBay listing contains an error, which is underlined in bold below.

“This receiver is rated by users as one of the best vintage receivers and was produced between 1976 and 1977. The receiver features a 25-watt per channel output with dual mono technology that ties together two large capacitors with two large large transformers per channel.”

There are two large transformers total, one per channel, which is double what most amps or receivers contain, not quadruple.  Many here have enjoyed an h/k 430 or one of its “Twin Powered” siblings.  Andy, @HDBRbuilder, first brought this outstanding series to my attention.  If prepared to bring an apparently excellent example completely back to life, you would be rewarded for years to come.  Given your budget and your “retro music room” with a turntable as the only source, this receiver has your name written all over it.

If it had to go away for months to an expert tech for inspection and restoration, then buy a “cheap” used receiver at a thrift store or a Lepai chip amp, or the like, and a cheap phono amp and you can enjoy your beautiful Khorns in the interim.

PS:  

Please excuse the larger font caused by the eBay quote.  I’m too lazy to figure out how to change it on this iPad.  Also, if you like vinyl, you should read the following:

6 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Welcome Ralph.

At $189.99 plus $70 shipping, that h/k 430 seems to be a value.  That said, if you’re not ready and willing to spend as much again, or more, to have it expertly refurbished, then it’s not for you.  If you paid a qualified tech $350 to replace capacitors and other age related items, you would have a classic vintage receiver that would best any new amp in that price range.  The tuners and phono sections in h/k 430s are excellent.

I have a number of the H/K "x30" receivers, and NONE of them is in need of a refurbishment...yet.  Although, every one of them NEEDED a good cleaning when I got them.  I also paid attention to the fuses and fuse holders in ALL OF THEM (and there are a number of them "under the hood" as well as above the unit bottom plate!   This means you have to remove the unit bottom plate to get to those particular fuses.)  There are many factors that lead to a need for refurbishment sooner than later...use in a smoking environment is one of the main ones....running them into clipping in the past is another...and dozens more reasons.  Just call me lucky, I guess.  The 430 model was the "least busy under the hood" of all the "x30" models, which means that it got much better airflow when on, which is KEY to longetivity....HEAT destroys amplifier sections, and other sections in units that do not have good airflow to rid the unit of the heat.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  You will know when it needs refurbishing...but KEEP THINGS CLEAN...is the first rule of thumb.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Andy @HDBRbuilder I agree with you completely.  I just wanted to assure Ralph that a worst case scenario would still result in an excellent receiver to power his Khorns in his “retro” music room.  Even if refurbishment is necessary, IMO, it’s money well spent.

Not everyone is handy enough to clean contacts.  My brother-in-law needs help changing a light bulb.  If he were considering the receiver on eBay, he would immediately send it out to be serviced to establish a baseline.

• Thanks 1