Shoehorning K-Horns on a very short wall

Escher

I have the possibility of picking up a set of vintage K-Horns and wanted to see if I'm completely nuts, or if this can work.

The only wall available to set these up on is shown below - with the K-Horns sketched in... (Trying to lay out our living room).

Basically, they would have about 32" between them... :P

I've always wanted K-Horns and this may be my only chance to get a set - so I'm willing to compromise...

28409309518_741b4624f7_c.jpgKhorn setup by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

I have the possibility of picking up a set of vintage K-Horns and wanted to see if I'm completely nuts, or if this can work.

The only wall available to set these up on is shown below - with the K-Horns sketched in... (Trying to lay out our living room).

Basically, they would have about 32" between them... [emoji14]

I've always wanted K-Horns and this may be my only chance to get a set - so I'm willing to compromise...

28409309518_741b4624f7_c.jpgKhorn setup by Christopher Purdy, on Flickr

My horns are presently in a 9 x 11 room on the long wall. Sweet spot is small but they sound great.

Enclose the backs and toe them out.  Very simple, 1 sheet of plywood and you will likely get all but the last 5-10 cycles on the response depending on room.  No screws need to be shot in cabs either.

7 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Enclose the backs and toe them out.  Very simple, 1 sheet of plywood and you will likely get all but the last 5-10 cycles on the response depending on room.  No screws need to be shot in cabs either.

You know, I've always wondered about this.  Why didn't PWK just do that from the beginning?  Cost?  Weight?  The idea that they were cornerhorns and so most people were putting them in a corner?

I know that later models enclosed the back from the factory.  Just curious about it. 

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

You know, I've always wondered about this.  Why didn't PWK just do that from the beginning?  Cost?  Weight?  The idea that they were cornerhorns and so most people were putting them in a corner?

I know that later models enclosed the back from the factory.  Just curious about it. 

Because you would only be getting about 90% of the Bass potential enclosing a non-designed set as compared to a set that were built enclosed.  The K's need walls on each side of them to carry out the bass extension.  PWK had one false wall built for one of his K's I have read because he had a non existent corner as well.  False walls are very heavy and cumbersome to move.  Enclosing is simple and all you need is one sheet of 3/4" or a marine grade ply piece. You shoot the 4 screws per side, 2 in the tail board supports and two in the side vent supports.  There is a few threads here on the how to.   I still have mine enclosed even though they're in corners, just so I can toe them to tailor fit my listening position.   It works very well for $40-70 depending on wood you use. No reason not to take up a great deal on a set of K's because you have bad corners.

Here is a link for the enclosing talk.

2 hours ago, Max2 said:

That’s what I had planned actually..  too good of a deal to pass on... I’m a huge lascala fan, so this will still give better bass than I’m used to.