Speaker Cabinet Design ... Help; Lost :(

Emile

10 hours ago, karlson3 said:

the bass sounds taut and musical,

Yes; bass sounds tight and musical ... just no clue why this would be in a 2.0 cuft ported cabinet as all indications lead to a 2.5-3.5 cuft sealed box. ????

Thanks, Emile

add-on ... read somewhere that the manufacturers often design the smallest box possible ... the size being on "the edge" of loosing quality ...

OK; after searching and learning, it seems that Qtc is the parameter that REALLY impacts size/volume.  Generally recommended is a Qtc of ).707.  If I go to Qtc=0.8 my box will be about 30% smaller ... Qtc=0.9 and it is 50% smaller.  How concerned should I be about Qts [edit] mean Qtc - especially since this is a CENTER speaker and I really don't care about bass less than say 100Hz. :D 

Thanks, Emile

You have confused Qtc and Qts, 

What this boils  down to centers around "alignment" and "tuning". 

Spend an evening playing around with WinISD or Bassbox etc. You will get a real feel for the tradeoffs between low frequency extension, cabinet size, efficiency. Just be realistic about how much low frequency you really need.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

You have confused Qtc and Qts

Tom; thanks! ... sorry; typo (I think :D ).  Tried mh-audio.nl , diyaudioandvideo.com calculator and a couple of others.  Downloading WinISD now.  

Do you know of any place where I can "hear" the difference.  Can "see" it from the graph below (from http://audiojudgement.com/sealed-enclosure-closed-box/ ).  If I "feed"

frequency response qtc sealed enclosure

my center speaker only freqs > 100Hz, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference if I use Qtc=.7 or 0.8 or even 0.9.  (But a GREAT differenc in box "size")  But then ... maybe I'm crazy :D 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... bought this speaker primarily for the large horn ... also want to get a good mid-range out of it ... say >200Hz ... not concerned about low bass ... have KPT-904's and a 15" sub  for that ... ????????

15 hours ago, Emile said:

Tom; thanks! ... sorry; typo (I think :D ).  Tried mh-audio.nl , diyaudioandvideo.com calculator and a couple of others.  Downloading WinISD now.  

Do you know of any place where I can "hear" the difference.  Can "see" it from the graph below (from http://audiojudgement.com/sealed-enclosure-closed-box/ ).  If I "feed"

frequency response qtc sealed enclosure

my center speaker only freqs > 100Hz, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference if I use Qtc=.7 or 0.8 or even 0.9.  (But a GREAT differenc in box "size")  But then ... maybe I'm crazy :D 

Cheers, Emile

Add-on ... bought this speaker primarily for the large horn ... also want to get a good mid-range out of it ... say >200Hz ... not concerned about low bass ... have KPT-904's and a 15" sub  for that ... ????????

Ok Emile, think about all the time and money its going to take to build this. Also, think about how humid it is in Florida. What if you could simply drive a few hours to a State that is really dry and also have a matching center? 

Its only a 27 hr drive and you can get another matching KPT-904 and problem solved!

https://denver.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-kpt-904-cinema/6596023310.html

image.png.9bf0e276cecb48be96bac9083c47999f.png

• Haha 1

For what it's worth :D  Was planning on getting some Heresy's for my fronts (via AVR) ... of course have been waiting for 2 weeks on the (local) seller :(  

But; plugged the T/S parameters in the online calculator and the "recommended" volume is pretty close to the actual box :D  Not like my Yammie contraption :( 

copied from another thread ..

OK; thinking of building a box same size as Heresy's.  Because ... :D ... just picked up a set of Heresy I's.  Playing a piece of classical (Itzhak Perlman, Tchaikovsky's #1) and must say I am really IMPRESSED :D . Nice tonal quality and sound stage. Two hour trip to get them ... seller did not have any front teeth ... dusty/dirty cabinets, etc :)  But think it was money well spend. Now; have to hide them from my wife before she get's back Friday ...no room in front of my KPT-904's :( Oh well; I'll meet her at the door with a glass of wine :D 

Cheers, Emile

IMG_2117.JPG