Just heard a GOOD pair of La Scalas, ltd edit F-IIIs might have to go!

JohnJ

Ears still ringing, like the morning after a rock concert. Only put it up halfway for a few minutes.

He said bring cds, we set the tone to flat. The gentleman allowed me to listen to a little bit of Ann & Nancy singing "Dog & Butterfly", Mick's "Sweet Thing" and "Evening Gown", Bob James / David Sanborn with Al Jarreau singing "Since I Fell For You" the whole song, Yes "The Clap" and the first few amazing bars of "Starship Trooper" and lastly bits of ZZ's Deguello.

AL-3 crossovers look very good, speakers not gorgeous with his stain job but the sound is. I could change that. I know my lps would sound good with the tubes between the lp and speakers, but might have to turn down the treble like I did for years with the Heresy IIs, I miss their "bass slam". The La Scalas have that plus their sound stage. The difference between the LS over the Forte 3 is comparable to the difference of the Forte IIIs over the Heresy IIs when talking sound stage.

They resisted doing delicate though? Could that have been his ss receiver? I know what a punchy squalker is now, prominence over the other drivers isn't descriptive enough. 

Can the AL-3 be made to accept the new-ish banana plug speaker wires without major changes (ALK or Crites)?

My Forte IIIs would have to be sold:

>1 year old, all original packaging, Cali Blk Wlnt, two sets of Lambswool Grilles.

They are used but not abused, being Klipsch I'm sure you comprehend that.

Would any of y'all be interested in those?

https://www.klipsch.com/products/forte-iii-special-edition-california-black-walnut

image.jpg

• Like 2

Haha ... the "upgrading" never stops. :D  Got Forte's in my stereo room and really like them.  Cornwall's in the TV room ... now used as rear speakers since I got some KPT-904's.  IMHO, try Klipsch Professional speakers and you will never have to "upgrade" again :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha ... the "upgrading" never stops. :D  Got Forte's in my stereo room and really like them.  Cornwall's in the TV room ... now used as rear speakers since I got some KPT-904's.  IMHO, try Klipsch Professional speakers and you will never have to "upgrade" again :D 

Cheers, Emile

I've seen some of your escapades lately here sir. 

And best of luck to Stamkos and your team tonight. HATE the caps!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Ears still ringing, like the morning after a rock concert. Only put it up halfway for a few minutes.

He said bring cds, we set the tone to flat. The gentleman allowed me to listen to a little bit of Ann & Nancy singing "Dog & Butterfly", Mick's "Sweet Thing" and "Evening Gown", Bob James / David Sanborn with Al Jarreau singing "Since I Fell For You" the whole song, Yes "The Clap" and the first few amazing bars of "Starship Trooper" and lastly bits of ZZ's Deguello.

AL-3 crossovers look very good, speakers not gorgeous with his stain job but the sound is. I could change that. I know my lps would sound good with the tubes between the lp and speakers, but might have to turn down the treble like I did for years with the Heresy IIs, I miss their "bass slam". The La Scalas have that plus their sound stage. The difference between the LS over the Forte 3 is comparable to the difference of the Forte IIIs over the Heresy IIs when talking sound stage.

They resisted doing delicate though? Could that have been his ss receiver? I know what a punchy squalker is now, prominence over the other drivers isn't descriptive enough. 

Can the AL-3 be made to accept the new-ish banana plug speaker wires without major changes (ALK or Crites)?

>1 year old, all original packaging, Cali Blk Wlnt, two sets of Lambswool Grilles.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/forte-iii-special-edition-california-black-walnut

If you didn't listen to the Lascalas with the same electronics in the same room as your F3's you might be making a big mistake selling what you have.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last week in Hope, we got to listen to the entire Heritage line in the same room.  There was a slight difference in the F3's and LS2's but nothing night and day.  I'm not sure there was a consensus as to which one was better as listening is subjective as you know.  The LS's slammed a little better but the F's went lower.  The LS's were completely horn loaded and the F's had the direct radiator and the passive.  The F's had Roy's new mumped mid horn which I REALLY like.  I was listening and talking to Jim and he preferred the LS's.  I liked the F's but would be extremely happy with either pair.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Last week in Hope, we got to listen to the entire Heritage line in the same room.  There was a slight difference in the F3's and LS2's but nothing night and day.  I'm not sure there was a consensus as to which one was better as listening is subjective as you know.  The LS's slammed a little better but the F's went lower.  The LS's were completely horn loaded and the F's had the direct radiator and the passive.  The F's had Roy's new mumped mid horn which I REALLY like.  I was listening and talking to Jim and he preferred the LS's.  I liked the F's but would be extremely happy with either pair.

Thanks guys.

Not sure you know but I found this place last spring when the Forte III thread was only a few pages long. Roy was posting regularly there and all that I heard had me scrimping for months. I did not even run my H2s and F3s on the same amp at once here because I've run the high off of A and low off of B speaker outputs. The bass is very good compared to the H2s, my favorite song to hear the sound stage from my Del Gados is Claptons "Let it Grow" off an original US pressing that was always cared for and obviously not picked up when a kegger was going on.

So what I'm looking at is giving up the bass response that caused me to buy new speakers to get back that slam plus the added efficiency the La Scalas offer. Pretty sure that my new Cambridge CXA-80 that sounded similar to my old Nakamichi SR-3A (Pass designed it) would make what I heard today even better.  Now if I got crossovers that allowed separate taps for the low and high frequencies... that would work with the better set of wires I've got

Do not know if it will happen, the fellow is not sure he wants to do paypal for it he's only made purchases with that before. I'm not wealthy, just doing some deficit financial projecting here.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I've seen some of your escapades lately here sir. 

And best of luck to Stamkos and your team tonight. HATE the caps!

escapades?  Don't tell my wife :D 

Yeah ... Lightning ... Hate anything "Washington, DC." :D Hold out your hand and get money :( 

bernie sanders news GIF

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

f you didn't listen to the Lascalas with the same electronics in the same room as your F3's you might be making a big mistake selling what you have.

27 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I totally agree w/Carl but it's your nickle.  You have a beautiful pair sitting right there you enjoy soooo...  Nice to say you've got LS but wouldn't it be nicer to say you have F3's to go with them?  Bwa ha ha...  :)   Yea, I'm evil like that!  😎

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

I totally agree w/Carl but it's your nickle.  You have a beautiful pair sitting right there you enjoy soooo...  Nice to say you've got LS but wouldn't it be nicer to say you have F3's to go with them?  Bwa ha ha...  :)   Yea, I'm evil like that!  😎

Of course I would love to have both, just don't want a grand + to owe again, but if I get my good cables turned in normal ones....

image.jpg

and these are beautiful...

image.jpg

And maybe I could run more than one pair again. Used to run three pair of large speakers, the Heresys sounded so much better than the two pair of 501s that i got rid of them.

• Like 3

The owner of the local pizza shop dropped off my pie a bit ago...  Left the garage door up and had some Clapton cranked a bit...  He walked in and just stood there looking and listening for about 15 minutes.  Had the LS playing then switched to the Heresy for him...  Fun watching his jaw drop even more..  I'm not even running Gas yet either...  hahahaha  Said I've gotta go enjoy the pizza and left...  Told him he forgot his $20 and he said, "It's on me it was worth it!"  hahahaha  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Those are beautiful John...  I bit early and went and eyeballed them...  Ugh!  NO!  but...  NO!  i NEED GAS!!!  HA!    :)

Thanks man.

I just opened the boxes, Klipsch made them!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dave1290 said:

Told him he forgot his $20 and he said, "It's on me it was worth it!"  hahahaha

You lucky guy :D  How come I don't get these benefits :(  Sold my pristine KG4's on CraigsList ... guy came and loved all my speakers ... so; I gave him an additional Dynaco SS amp and a CD player ... all for $200.  Then he had the guts to call back to ask me if I had found the original diaphragms so he could pick those up also (for "nothing").  Told him they were $50 now ... never heard from him again :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Where are you located?  I am sure lots of people are interested in the F III.

• Like 1

I'll wade in here, and Carl knows what I'm going to say...however...

You said "good" La Scalas, meaning what?  What are the installed components?  Do you have the room for them, and proper placement?  Do the aesthetics meet your standards?

The F3's are very good speakers, no doubt.  However, given the years of experience and number of experiments that I've had, I will never buy anything other than a Klipsch speaker with a folded horn. (except for those little dinky Heresy's....)

I simply prefer the more dynamic, live sound of my LS, and Khorns.  It's my own personal taste, and the marriage of those speakers with the amps and preamps that I've matched them with. (All tube)

In the listening room at the Hope factory, I thought the LSII was the clear winner, but again, to my personal taste.

As has been said many times before......your mileage may vary.

• Like 3