Just heard a GOOD pair of La Scalas, ltd edit F-IIIs might have to go!

JohnJ

This guy @ the pizza shop I've known forever.  Great guy and he's heard everything I've ever had  and has been a "repeat offender" stopping in at times just to kick back.  He knows I'm not right when it comes to music...  Had I purchased the LS back in the mid-70's I'd have a house full by now.  Loved my Infinity's but Klipsch has them beat in so many ways...  Wanted all Mcintosh then too!  Guess the bottom line is I'd still be sittin here listening in my Jockey's just hearing more of what I'm supposed to hear!  :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I'll wade in here, and Carl knows what I'm going to say...however...

As has been said many times before......your mileage may vary.

They are stock, not used much, raw birch stained with "Special Walnut" remember that Minwax alkyd stain color? Then hand rubbed with oil of some sort a few times (not recently)

Good questions: AL-3 no corrosion at all. Old 80s or 90s Onkyo hundred watter running them.

These sounded like brand new speakers no sibilance excellent voice, sax and horn reproduction that I KNOW my F3s can't do that well.

His room was two floors high totally open, mine would be a 17' vaulted ceiling, would have to put a rug in there. When I put it halfway (he said I could) he went to the back of the room, I did too, so we could talk.

Dynamic.... very good adjective to describe what excites me about this.

The difference to me with the folded horn sound is probably as close as I'd ever get to Jubes, if this was 1985 I'd say Khorns!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Of course I would love to have both, just don't want a grand + to owe again, but if I get my good cables turned in normal ones....

image.jpg

and these are beautiful...

image.jpg

And maybe I could run more than one pair again. Used to run three pair of large speakers, the Heresys sounded so much better than the two pair of 501s that i got rid of them.

Too bad you're not closer.   I'm sure we could work up some sort of trade.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

Too bad you're not closer.   I'm sure we could work up some sort of trade.

quit messin' with meB)

I'd have to rent a van for half a day to get these for that it would be a couple days I'm sure. Not 38 anymore, drove 22 hrs straight Orlando to Boston once - I seriously could not drink that amount of coffee in that time period now.

• Haha 2

Sell the F3, buy the LS.  Take the extra funds from your sale and invest in Crites CT120 tweeters and A55G mids.  Rework the crossovers with new caps, damp the mid horn with Dynamat.  Change out the K33 with an Eminence Kappa 15C.    Easily sell the stock components to recoup some cost.  Believe me, those LS will be shockingly good.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

quit messin' with meB)

I'd have to rent a van for half a day to get these for that it would be a couple days I'm sure. Not 38 anymore, drove 22 hrs straight Orlando to Boston once - I seriously could not drink that amount of coffee in that time period now.

Oh well.  I tried.

20180523_185025.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Sell the F3, buy the LS.  Take the extra funds from your sale and invest in Crites CT120 tweeters and A55G mids.  Rework the crossovers with new caps, damp the mid horn with Dynamat.  Change out the K33 with an Eminence Kappa 15C.    Easily sell the stock components to recoup some cost.  Believe me, those LS will be shockingly good.

Dude there is hardly any playing time on these, he's a musician. Told me after doing that all day long for years he wasn't fired up to listen to music when he got home. This fella got these when he had a chance with connections to get them at cost back then. After viewing and hearing them these are cherry!

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Dude there is hardly any playing time on these, he's a musician. Told me after doing that all day long for years he wasn't fired up to listen to music when he got home. This fella got these when he had a chance with connections to get them at cost back then. After viewing and hearing them these are cherry!

OK, so photos?

13 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

OK, so photos?

Not yet, didn't take any. They aren't pretty like the reddish golden one above in TX. They aren't dented, scratched or anything either. Dam&it ovi @1:02.    I will do crossovers not sure which yet if I get these. Dynamat on the outside of the horn throat?

Uncanny!

I just finished a session with my ... AL-3 LaScalas... and came upstairs to surf a bit.

It has been almost a year with them and I still grin every day.

As is, the AL-3/ K-33-E/ K401/ K-55-M/ K-77-M compliment is plug and play.

When I switched out the K-33’s with Kappa 15C’s the drywall in one corner began to rattle at spirited listening levels! It never did that before.

And what a pronounced effect it had on the mid-bass definition and punch! ...Same thing in my Cornwalls.

I have Bob’s A/4500 crossovers and (older) CT125’s and still haven’t felt the need to audition them in my ‘92’s, they are that good stock.

...for now...

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Dynamat on the outside of the horn throat?

Dynamat on the part of the horn inside the top hat.

I know your problem John, it's a problem all of us on this board share.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, one more thing.

As MANY here, and on other forums have stated, NOTHING in between the speakers! 

I pulled them out from the wall to vacuum about a month ago and sat down to listen to them before I finished and believe-it-or-not they sound even more incredible.

The bass does not suffer, if anything it tightens up more in my 12x20 foot living room, about 3 feet out from the wall.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Oh, one more thing.

I pulled them out from the wall to vacuum about a month ago and sat down to listen to them before I finished and believe-it-or-not they sound even more incredible.

The bass does not suffer, if anything it tightens up more in my 12x20 foot living room, about 3 feet out from the wall.

These were out about a foot or more, and they were obviously impressive to me. Thanks for the input. Found a bunch of La Scala threads here the last few days.

9 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I have my version of your story.

I pulled the Khorns out of the corners and put them about 3 feet apart, almost side-by-side in the middle of the room to demo them for the guy who was coming to pick them up after he bought them.  The sound was friggin' UN-believable!  Wow! 

If I didn't fear my wife so much (who forced the sale) I would have called the Buyer back and told him I was keeping them.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1