Just heard a GOOD pair of La Scalas, ltd edit F-IIIs might have to go!

JohnJ

I want my La Scalas back 😭

I love my Chorus II's and now i got Chorus I to go with them(Had Heresy II's for the first time this past month and didn't like them at first, but after placement adjustments and putting them in the bigger room, i grew to love them but sold them this week to help fund my Chorus I), but having 4 La Scalas was incredible. Though them being industrial splits made it easier to sell as they were pretty ugly to have in a living room. When i get like this, i just remind myself of the rabbit hole of non stop obsessing over upgrading the crossovers, the tweeters, and then buying multiple good enough subwoofers that could keep up for movies. Then i'd move on to dreaming of tubes for 2ch etc. It was never ending.  With the Chorus II, i enjoy them as is and only now and then dream of mods and upgrading anything else.  I do also remind myself how ear fatiguing the k-400 was at loud volumes. I'm more of a low to mid level listener so i'd probably love the FIII with their TI diaphragms being crystal clear and detailed at low volumes. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maximus89 said:

I want my La Scalas back 😭

I love my Chorus II's and now i got Chorus I to go with them(Had Heresy II's for the first time this past month and didn't like them at first, but after placement adjustments and putting them in the bigger room, i grew to love them but sold them this week to help fund my Chorus I), but having 4 La Scalas was incredible. Though them being industrial splits made it easier to sell as they were pretty ugly to have in a living room. When i get like this, i just remind myself of the rabbit hole of non stop obsessing over upgrading the crossovers, the tweeters, and then buying multiple good enough subwoofers that could keep up for movies. Then i'd move on to dreaming of tubes for 2ch etc. It was never ending.  With the Chorus II, i enjoy them as is and only now and then dream of mods and upgrading anything else.  I do also remind myself how ear fatiguing the k-400 was at loud volumes. I'm more of a low to mid level listener so i'd probably love the FIII with their TI diaphragms being crystal clear and detailed at low volumes. 

6 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I am 3 hours away from you and might have a buyer for your fortes. He could pick them up fer sure.

Shakey

@Maximus89 the F3s do that low volume with full detail and their range very well, better than the H2s did.

@Shakeydeal Thank You. If this actually goes through I will have to force myself to part with the Forte IIIs.

If Carl was closer or intent on this, I love the look of those and trust what he's said about them! Think he was just doing that in jest. 

If @Maximus89 just made a veiled offer I'd have to consider. You would then, have the next "bite" here.

I'll pm you if/when I'm done re-arranging the whole den, emptying my stereo cabinet and moving it too.

There, that's plan a, b and c.

I've read about caulking and dynamat to level the output of the three drivers. I know that both ALK or Crites can achieve more balance for the LS with their reapective products.

That would come into play before any cosmetic work would need to be done.

I'm sure I'd be smiling for weeks just plugging them in here anyhow!

Here's why I was serious (trade details dependent).  They have a smaller footprint which to me makes placement a little easier.  I like how Roy voiced these, as a matter of fact, I like how Roy voices everything he works on.  The mids aren't as shouty.  I like the extension.  The Lascalas always need a sub to sound right to MY ears (YMMV).  The F3's can get by without one.  There are a few things the Lascalas do better like drums and mid bass slam but overall I have a SLIGHT preference for the F3's over the Lascalas.  For those that like the typical Heritage sound the Lascalas would win.

• Like 1

Mmmmm, Bob James/ Sanborn "Double Vision".  You've just prompted me to dig out that CD for my next 'music night'.

...which would have been tonight but rumor has it that there will be visitors so I can't unleash the KLF-10's full fury.  :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Here's why I was serious (trade details dependent).  They have a smaller footprint which to me makes placement a little easier.  I like how Roy voiced these, as a matter of fact, I like how Roy voices everything he works on.  The mids aren't as shouty.  I like the extension.  The Lascalas always need a sub to sound right to MY ears (YMMV).  The F3's can get by without one.  There are a few things the Lascalas do better like drums and mid bass slam but overall I have a SLIGHT preference for the F3's over the Lascalas.  For those that like the typical Heritage sound the Lascalas would win.

I've appreciated your opinion since the few days I lurked before joining.

I remember someone wanting to get some Delgado badges made. I for one would gladly pay for and put on the front of my Forte IIIs because these are great for their size, sound quality and that 99db/watt sensitivity! Haven't been exposed to the KI-396 or Jubes but that would make my admiration several degrees more serious I'm sure!

I'm starting to question my sanity, put on a second qt of coffee.image.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnJ said:

Haven't been exposed to the KI-396

I have a pair of those as well.  Roy voiced them too.  They're pretty remarkable speakers as the sheer amount of crystal clear SPL they put out is staggering.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, billybob said:

Agree, you cannot overcome the physics of size. LaScalas...yes.

:emotion-21:

Once you actually start to listen to music, especially with half century old ears, you appreciate and gravitate to clarity and resolution of the most important part of music, which is the midrange. The 400's and 401's are just too dang hard to beat, unless you're space limited or listening very near field.   Throw in a cheap beater sub, if needed, and you have a setup that can rival or trounce just about anything price wise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Max2 said:

:emotion-21:

Once you actually start to listen to music, especially with half century old ears, you appreciate and gravitate to clarity and resolution of the most important part of music, which is the midrange. The 400's and 401's are just too dang hard to beat, unless you're space limited or listening very near field.   Throw in a cheap beater sub, if needed, and you have a setup that can rival or trounce just about anything price wise.

The mids have been my experience with them(LS). I can appreciate where you are coming from. Agree again...

• Like 1

How do you guys deal with a sub ? How does one replicate both channels properly. My amp has a single connector for a sub so it could do something about all that. Just think I might need a right and a left sub and that's too much stuff around the room.

2 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

How do you guys deal with a sub ? How does one replicate both channels properly. My amp has a single connector for a sub so it could do something about all that. Just think I might need a right and a left sub and that's too much stuff around the room.

I have found that the best way to integrate a subwoofer into a two channel music system is by using the high level inputs on the sub instead of line level. Just piggyback a pair of speaker cables from your main amplifier to the sub (providing it has high level inputs, not all do). It's much easier to blend the main speakers with the sub this way.

Shakey