Just heard a GOOD pair of La Scalas, ltd edit F-IIIs might have to go!

JohnJ

4 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

How does one replicate both channels properly

plagiarized from soundonsound.com ...

Most stereo systems have two main speakers, yet we have only one subwoofer. Why not two subwoofers as well? In some situations there can be advantages to having two (or more) subwoofers, but in general one is usually sufficient. The reason for this is connected to the fact that, for frequencies below about 700Hz, our sense of hearing measures the phase difference between a sound arriving at each ear, whereas above this frequency it uses mainly level differences. Out of doors, our ability to determine a sound's direction remains quite accurate down to remarkably low frequencies, but this ability collapses when listening indoors. Sources generating low-frequency sounds (below about 100Hz) tend to do so more or less omnidirectionally (the sound wave travels from the source in all directions) because the wavelength of sound is usually larger than the object itself. When a low-frequency sound is generated within an enclosed space, the spherical sound waves created will reflect off the boundary surfaces of the room to arrive back at the ears with a multiplicity of phase variances, due to path-length differences. This confusion of signals makes it impossible for the ear and brain to extract a reliable phase difference, so normal directional acuity fails.

So in theory, since you can't tell where the low frequencies are coming from in a room, one subwoofer will be entirely sufficient.

Unquote 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

So in theory, since you can't tell where the low frequencies are coming from in a room, one subwoofer will be entirely sufficient.

When I play Low Budget the bass in Superman comes from both sides very well. Now if that's above 45hz I'm covered!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

How do you guys deal with a sub ? How does one replicate both channels properly. My amp has a single connector for a sub so it could do something about all that. Just think I might need a right and a left sub and that's too much stuff around the room.

My Anthem preamp actually has a sub out.  When I remodeled my bedroom, I sold it and the amp so it's sub-less now.  I've thought about building one that fits under the bed as there's really no good place in the room to put one.  The old one sat on my RH speaker as it was a 19" cube but looked like crap in that location.  You definitely don't have to have 2 subs, just cross it over as low as you can.

I'm another one from the LS camp. I recommend LS over any other speakers, Klipsch or otherwise (if they fit). I love the balance of sound for my old ears. To do better (which is possible) you have to give up more area and a lot more money. I am in a minority that doesn't believe they NEED a sub for music (for HT, they do). I do have subs in my living room with my Belle's and would guess I turn the subs on less than half the time I listen. Give them a shot without before you jump into that aspect. Then when and if you do want to add, there are thousands of opinions out there for ya. I did two 25hz tapped horns that seem (to me) to blend well.

But having to give up F3s to get them is kinda tough.

• Thanks 1

A couple of days doing some thoughtful listening to what I've got now, my speakers are nice as is.

Also thinking of the immense differences the way the folded horn big Klipsch handle the midrange and bass compared to my F3s. 

I'll keep on in the direction I'm going armed with current knowledge from @wvu80. Could arrange help for me to move these next weekend, and we've talked a little a few days ago, so I'm on pretty good ground now. He hasn't had too many good bites on these, and I'm not totally balking at the finish job on the once raw birch!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, Emile said:

plagiarized from soundonsound.com ...

Most stereo systems have two main speakers, yet we have only one subwoofer. Why not two subwoofers as well? In some situations there can be advantages to having two (or more) subwoofers, but in general one is usually sufficient. The reason for this is connected to the fact that, for frequencies below about 700Hz, our sense of hearing measures the phase difference between a sound arriving at each ear, whereas above this frequency it uses mainly level differences. Out of doors, our ability to determine a sound's direction remains quite accurate down to remarkably low frequencies, but this ability collapses when listening indoors. Sources generating low-frequency sounds (below about 100Hz) tend to do so more or less omnidirectionally (the sound wave travels from the source in all directions) because the wavelength of sound is usually larger than the object itself. When a low-frequency sound is generated within an enclosed space, the spherical sound waves created will reflect off the boundary surfaces of the room to arrive back at the ears with a multiplicity of phase variances, due to path-length differences. This confusion of signals makes it impossible for the ear and brain to extract a reliable phase difference, so normal directional acuity fails.

Unquote 

Below certain frequencies, according the particular listener's ears, it is NOT the ears which actually pick up those low frequencies, but the BODY MASS of the listener.  the sound is transferred through the body mass and the listener PERCEIVES it is his/her ears "hearing" those low frequencies, because the brain is fooled into thinking that is the case.  This is the exact reason that totally deaf people can dance to music, because their body mass picks up the "beat" of the music, and they can feel the "beat".  It also applies to subwoofers not really NEEDING to be in pairs....after all, if your TWO ears are really not "hearing" what the subwoofer puts out, then why do you really NEED more than one subwoofer...you only have ONE body mass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/24/2018 at 12:25 PM, Shakeydeal said:

I have found that the best way to integrate a subwoofer into a two channel music system is by using the high level inputs on the sub instead of line level. Just piggyback a pair of speaker cables from your main amplifier to the sub (providing it has high level inputs, not all do). It's much easier to blend the main speakers with the sub this way.

I wish I could have done this with my RB-75's and RSW-10d but believe me just using the stereo preouts from my Yamaha A-S1000 integrated and low passing on my subwoofer at 50Hz and set to "flat", the combo is totally seamless.  Sounds almost identical to my RF-63's in true stereo, which is incredible.

image.png.6c02dc432ca4670a493d76cb538933e4.png

Bill

• Like 1