Are these a special model of K-Horn? I'm picking them up Sunday.

Escher

On 5/29/2018 at 1:02 PM, Escher said:

Order all new drivers from Mr. Crites and a set of his type "A/4500" crossovers... 

So I have the following on order:

CT120 tweeters

A55G midrange drivers

CW1526C Cast woofers

New midrange driver to horn gaskets

I figured they deserve the royal treatment, plus I really want them back to 100% condition.  I plan to resell the original components to recoup some of the cost of the updates.

That's a solid plan.  Those OEM drivers and even the Type AA crossover all have good resale value.

I had the A/4500 XO's in my Khorns.  Your Khorns will sound outstanding with all the components you chose.

• Like 1

K-Horns R Big...

Really big..

hehehehehe...

28786105708_6a94f42bf4_c.jpg

Not ready to play them yet - just got the bass bins back into the cabinets and top hats installed and in the den where they belong.  With any luck, tomorrow I'll start replacing drivers and do a test listen.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Escher said:

K-Horns R Big...

Really big..

hehehehehe...

Not ready to play them yet - just got the bass bins back into the cabinets and top hats installed and in the den where they belong.  With any luck, tomorrow I'll start replacing drivers and do a test listen.

I can't imagine how loud that would be in your space, fun.  Looks like your listening chair is near field and within the triangle.  Hope it sounds fantastic when you get them dialed in.  By the way, your TV now has little man syndrome....

1 hour ago, Escher said:

K-Horns R Big...

Really big..

hehehehehe...

28786105708_6a94f42bf4_c.jpg

Dang.  Our master bedroom closet is bigger than that room those Khorns are in! Maybe even the laundry room!  ;) I'm having a 16 x 32 (or So upstairs room built but not going to Khorns; just the Belle's I built for now and who knows...maybe one day I'll build some Jubilee's for up there. 

I had LaScalas (and Electrovoice Sentry’s) in the same space and loved it...  definitely takes some tweaking of the laser-precise sweet spot though..  probably will need to shim the back of the top-hats as the chair is low and not on-axis  with the tweets...

TV will be going up a bit too...

That wall is 9’ by the way.  Chair will be just outside the triangle at around 6’..

Got the drivers installed and first listens today...

Pulling the Original K33's (Look to be as mint as they come)

40874058920_3b0821607f_c.jpg

All drivers and x-overs installed:

40874059090_c9ecf879bf_c.jpg

After initially trying with a small radio shack amp, and realizing it was in poor shape (mids were buzzy) - I pulled my old Marantz AVR our of storage and we started going through apple music on my phone...

A couple of tunes gave me chills... the bass is SO tight and powerful..  very smooth...

This is going to be a lot of fun!

P.S. - Yes the cabinets show a lot of ugliness - I'm going to get working on that next.  It turns out the original owners grandson was trying to move them and lifted them by the top-hats - tearing the trim off in several places.  Once I have some more time and some small angle brackets, I'm going to glue and screw it all back together and replace the grille cloth also...

37 minutes ago, Frzninvt said:

I would not replace those Jensen P15LL woofers with Crites I would leave them alone.

I'll do a side by side comparison when we are back in the house full time...  

Hope Y'all don't mind - but I'm just going to keep updating this thread as I work on the K-Horns... 

I'll get some detail pics soon, but I started piecing the hats together today.  Several angle brackets got the sides attached and then I test fit the top and grille.  I also installed all teh side covers.

Planning to continue with small angle brackets and screws and once its all back together, then I'll glue where the breaks occurred.

Pics:  Horns with TV and AV rack before:

40952973740_4236f7a991_c.jpg

With right side hat installed and sides installed:

40952973850_c50f581f9e_c.jpg

• Like 2

Surely it is!!! :)

Its that or nothing...  

Also - I found a gent on ebay(from Russia) who will be CNCing me a set of reproduction badges similar to the 70th anniversary style.  I contacted Klipsch and they don't have any...

5 minutes ago, babadono said:

Is that a basement room in MEE-SHEEE-GAN?:)

Kinda....the house is a Quad level - this is the level that is about 4 foot below ground level... there is still one more level down that is technically the basement... but the foundation leaks, otherwise it would have been co-opted into a listening space ages ago!

Got the top hats fixed:

27916709417_72bea2803a_c.jpg

Now I just have to fix a collapsed/broken grille on the left top hat - you can see it at the bottom edge below:

42786087231_f8282721bc_c.jpg

The bottom of the wood frame is snapped in the middle.. sorry, forgot to take a pic...  but I think I can build a temporary spreader to hold it in place while I glue a splint in and re-attach the grille cloth.

Beautiful speakers. But it looks like you are sitting where everyone said I should be in my 15' wide room. Looking at your room, you should be sitting so close that you could reach out and adjust the volume from your seat. And hardly have to lean forward to do it.

Shakey

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Beautiful speakers. But it looks like you are sitting where everyone said I should be in my 15' wide room. Looking at your room, you should be sitting so close that you could reach out and adjust the volume from your seat. And hardly have to lean forward to do it.

Shakey

Camera is compressing the view... I'm about 8-9 foot back.  Speakers are on a 9' wall.

So - in theory - the "triangle" intersection is at approx 4.5' from the wall.  I'm another 3.5 feet back.

Soundstage is very good and I'm very familiar with near field listening spaces... I've has Electrovoice Sentry IVb, Magnepan MGiic and LaScalas in this same space... :)

I know you guys like huge rooms for your K-Horns... if anyone has a larger house they'd like to donate.... :P

3 minutes ago, Escher said:

Camera is compressing the view... I'm about 8-9 foot back.  Speakers are on a 9' wall.

So - in theory - the "triangle" intersection is at approx 4.5' from the wall.  I'm another 3.5 feet back.

Soundstage is very good and I'm very familiar with near field listening spaces... I've has Electrovoice Sentry IVb, Magnepan MGiic and LaScalas in this same space... :)

I know you guys like huge rooms for your K-Horns... if anyone has a larger house they'd like to donate.... :P

That makes more sense. The picture makes the wall look about 6' wide. It's certainly not ideal, but if you get 75% of the full blown sound you are still doing pretty good. Mine are on a 15" wall and some say that's not enough. Sounds pretty darn good to me.

Enjoy!

Shakey

• Like 1