Are these a special model of K-Horn? I'm picking them up Sunday.

Escher

15 hours ago, wvu80 said:

According to the Good Book your 1965 Decorators are from 1964, Letter Code "C."

(Partial list of Codes)

Well I was going by the June 28th 1965 invoice date so they must have made them for stock earlier.

JJK

5 hours ago, JJkizak said:

Well I was going by the June 28th 1965 invoice date so they must have made them for stock earlier.  -JJK

You have the original invoice from 1965?  :o

Can we expect to see you soon on an upcoming episode of Hoarders?  :lol:

22 hours ago, wvu80 said:

According to the Good Book your 1965 Decorators are from 1964, Letter Code "C."

(Partial list of Codes)

We have 2 different sets of codes. 

GroomLakes's codex, skips "I" and uses a range for As and Bs, shifting C to 1965.  His has been said to have been checked by some at Klipsch for accuracy. 

21 minutes ago, JohnA said:

We have a different set of codes. 

Yes they are, but they shouldn't be.  I Cut and Pasted from the original Groomlake51 thread you linked to March 17, 2017 into MS Word format because I can search it more easily. 

One problem I see is the linked post has been edited with regards to A and B, and on my Word version I=70.  I'll try to reconcile the other differences, but a quick check shows several differences.

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE (1955 THROUGH 1983 ONLY)

A = 1955-63*           F = 1968       L = 1973       S = 1978

B = 1963-64*           G = 1969      M = 1974      T = 1979

C = 1965                H = 1970      N = 1975      U = 1980

D = 1966                J = 1971       P = 1976       W = 1981

E = 1967                 K = 1972       R = 1977      X = 1982

Y = 1983

From my Word document, March 2017:

1962-1983 Letter format

A=62

B=63

C=64

D=65

E=66

F=67

G=68

H=69

I=70

J=71

K=72

L=73

M=74

N=75

O=NONE

P=76

Q=NONE

R=77
S=78

T=79
U=80

V=NONE
W=81

X=82
Y=83

Ohhh Folks - this is a SCORE!!!

Turns out - These are pristine Decorators that slide into a trim "sleeve"...  only about 10 screws hold them in.. Because they were inside the trim all these years, the paint is perfect... and looks like its fresh from the store..  I know, Pics or it didn't happen...

Loaded up:

41630399874_eb1a90f2f2_c.jpg

Pullin them out... and notice that they will come free from the trim:

42353044151_d5458b4d37_c.jpg

....and out they come:

40546022710_ae574dc046_c.jpg

Here we are - decorators next to their clothes..

41450955015_bea05631dc_c.jpg

Just a couple chips on the front panels - and the top hats were notched for the trim pieces... but other than that - factory fresh..

40546021590_6f915a9d63_b.jpg

42353042851_96637871a7_c.jpg

41450954955_93e151712e_c.jpg

Sequential Serials:

40546021380_76c27b1805_c.jpg

42353042521_d7413a08d5_c.jpg

I'm so geeked!!!

I'll be putting them in the den once our remodel is done - minus the trim so I can take my time repairing it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

What happened to "picking them up this Sunday?"  :lol:

The way you feel about your speakers is the way we should all feel about our speakers.  :)

Turns out he had to leave town Saturday, so I decided to strike while iron was hot so to speak...

I'm a total audio geek - I stupidly sold a set of LaScala's several years ago and have been chasing that sound ever since... I never imagined having K-Horns, so this is a bit of a dream come true.  I've been trying to get him to sell me these (or trade) for about three years, so when he was open to the idea, there was no way I was letting them get away!   ..and also being a nostalgia nut, these really fit what I was looking for.  I'd rather have a vintage set than a brand new set any day.

I'm just sad they have to live in the garage for a couple weeks until the house is ready (See my other thread about the drunk driver that crashed into our home for details)..  We will be doing work over there on Sunday, so I'll take a small amp and give them a listen when the wife isn't looking!

• Thanks 1

(See my other thread about the drunk driver that crashed into our home for details)

Perhaps if you’d just provided the “details,” the drunk driver wouldn’t have crashed into your house.  😉

Seriously,  glad your family wasn’t harmed.  Stuff can be replaced, people cannot.

• Haha 1

Lol!  Took me a sec!

Yes - we were very lucky!  It’s a blessing in disguise - all the renovations we wanted are getting done for free!  All told, about $90k in total damage to house and contents.

Got a chance to finally hook them up in the garage and test drivers...  Tweeters were blown.  Midrange was mushy/bleary as was the bass - I suspect crossover (original caps are surely not to spec) and failing diaphragms..

After several hours debating I decided to do the only logical thing. :P

Order all new drivers from Mr. Crites and a set of his type "A/4500" crossovers... 

So I have the following on order:

CT120 tweeters

A55G midrange drivers

CW1526C Cast woofers

New midrange driver to horn gaskets

I figured they deserve the royal treatment, plus I really want them back to 100% condition.  I plan to resell the original components to recoup some of the cost of the updates.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Escher said:

Got a chance to finally hook them up in the garage and test drivers...  Tweeters were blown.  Midrange was mushy/bleary as was the bass - I suspect crossover (original caps are surely not to spec) and failing diaphragms..

Order all new drivers from Mr. Crites and a set of his type "A/4500" crossovers... 

CT120 tweeters

A55G midrange drivers

CW1526C Cast woofers

I figured they deserve the royal treatment, plus I really want them back to 100% condition.  I plan to resell the original components to recoup some of the cost of the updates.

New caps and tweeters from Bob Crites should make sound them better than new.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Escher said:

CT120 tweeters

A55G midrange drivers

CW1526C Cast woofers

Go big or stay home.  Way to go.  As Claude said, they’ll be better than new.

• Like 3

Not all - I did wiggle a few connections to no avail... I will be going through them in more detail when I do the swap.... it was about 90 degrees and 90% humidity, so I just spent enough time to decide that I wanted to update the drivers and figured I'd dig into details later..

We will be back in our house in a week or two, and that will be my first project.  Once I go through them and get resistance measurements, etc.. I'll list the components here in the garage sale area most likely...