Question On Denon Model x3400h,x4400h & Onkyo tx-rz820

0HSNAPS

New To The Community 

Hello Everyone:

I wanted to know if the Denon x3400h has enough to power my setup? Aside from the x4400h & Onkyo tx-rz820 are my other choices for receivers. If you have any other recommendations on receivers please do.

As for my current build I have

Fronts - 160m

Center - 250c

Sub - r-10sw 

Rear Surround - 240s

I know you lose out on some channels on the Denon's or so I read something like that. I'm currently running a Sony str-1070dn as my receiver. I know it isn't the greatest but I found it for 120 bucks a while back. Thanks for everyone's time & advice.

I currently have a Denon x2300 (which is lower than the models you listed) Running to Klipsch Rp-280FA towers, the same sub, and a RC-62II and two Klipsch RC-62 II towers in the rear. Klipsch speakers generally do not require much power as they are very efficient. I run this pretty loud in movies, and there was never a point were i was about to max out. You should have no issues. FYI the Sony STR-1080 has been getting rave reviews, and now supports atmosphere and DTS:X however I've enjoyed my denon. 

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah the Sony 1080 has been, but from what I been reading Denon & Onkyo match well with our speakers. And the 1070 Sony does not support atmos or dts-x found out the hard way or after I finished my build. So gave me good reason to move onto what everyone here has experience with. 

yeah sony was never good about adding features after the fact. My denon has been great. Pioneer used to go well with klipsch until onkyo bought them out. I honestly loved MCACC pro calibration. they only give MCACC basic now. and a normal onkyo RZ series gives way more features than an elite these days. Denon seems to still maintain a solid product. I would go with the 4400 if you plan on having atmosphere fronts and rears. the 3400 only gives you a little more wattage and multi EQ xt 32, over the 2400. 

I'm still kind new to the scene on atmos etc I've been running my 160m as a 2.1 system for a long while. And I added the center & 240s this pass year and half. The x3400 wont do atmos? And what do you mean by front and rear atmos? As in I can select where I want atoms to work or I need the x4400 for the front and rear to work atmos all together?

1 minute ago, 0HSNAPS said:

I'm still kind new to the scene on atmos etc I've been running my 160m as a 2.1 system for a long while. And I added the center & 240s this pass year and half. The x3400 wont do atmos? And what do you mean by front and rear atmos? As in I can select where I want atoms to work or I need the x4400 for the front and rear to work atmos all together?

great question so Atmos works in a couple of different configurations. 

with the 3400 you can only have  Two front Atmos speakers, or two rear atmos speakers.

with the 4400 you could have Two front and two rear atmos speakers. 

this

Oh man thanks for all the info. Really helping me decide on what to get. Do you run any of the configurations on atoms as stated in your response? Is it better to hear front and rear or just one? Haha Iver never really heard anything any atoms aside from surround sound dolby from a 5.1 system a family member has. I habe to decide cause Frys right now has the x400h for $499 till the 26th with promo code etc. Thanks again.

I am using the 3400 to drive a Martin Logan setup at the moment, which are pretty difficult to drive, and the 3400 does a fantastic job. 

I can’t remember what online publication it was but they bench tested the 3300, same amps as the 3400, and it scored very high and the reviewer was very impressed. 

I used a Denon X3300 to drive 4 160M’s and a 450C Center and I never felt a need to add an external amp, even when I really wanted the new lights in my rack..

With that said, I am going to purchase a beefy 3 channel amp, since these Martin Logan speakers are 4ohms and are notoriously hard to drive.

Get a quality subwoofer and cross those speakers over around 80hz, and the 3400 will have plenty of power with the stress of the low-end removed. 

I am a strange though, my audio journey doesn’t have a volcano that I can just toss a gold ring into and have it come to an end so I keep pushing forward until I go insane;) Isn’t this hobby great?!

I have purchased 3 “high end” receivers from this company and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a refurbished unit from them, many times over:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4400h/denon-avr-x4400h-9.2-ch-x-125-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

Put the saved money towards a outlet special SVS Subwoofer, they are currently having a sale on their already discounted outlet subs, for Memorial Day weekend. 

@K5SS 

Thank you for the information, I know for sure now the x3400h can drive what I have since you used it to drive 4 160m's & 450c. The sub I'm currently running is the klipsch r-10sw and I'm more than happy with what I have, hopefully if I do go your route suggest on the amp crossover that will help to drive other speakers even better.

Only other thing I was going for is the 5.1.2 atmos setup but found out my Sony 1070 does not support it. Therefore the upgrade after reading items that stated HK, Denon & Onkyo match well with klipsch. 

Aside from receiver just the 2 extra speakers for atmos I'll get later. 

La scala mains, Yamaha sm15iv for center, klipsch r-3650w in walls for surrounds - all of that is currently running off the avr without any issue, though I'm still on the hunt for a 3rd qsc plx amp to run my mains, center will run off a spare channel from one of my sub amps.

Subs are a diy lil'mike cinema f-20 and two th-spud clones, and those are running on two qsc plx 1202 amps. The qsc has a neat feature where you can take a single input signal and have it sent to both amp channels, so since my two spud clones are physically next together I have them use that and simply have them appear as 1 sub to the denon. The other one just uses a single channel of the second amp and appears as the other sub to the avr - the point being I didn't have to use any rca splitter cables off the back of the denon since it has two sub preouts.

@Thaddeus Smith legit setup!!! So I got the x3400h Saturday, setup with mic collaboration etc. Sound is amazing, just one issue, is it normal to have to push the master volume to 50 to hear normal level sound? 

@K5SS 

@BradWasTaken

Same question to you guys as well is it normal to have to push the master volume to 50 just to hear normal level sound? I messed with the speaker level after collaboration, and have had push levels up +5.0db 

@Thaddeus Smith legit setup!!! So I got the x3400h Saturday, setup with mic collaboration etc. Sound is amazing, just one issue, is it normal to have to push the master volume to 50 to hear normal level sound? 

@K5SS 

@BradWasTaken

Same question to you guys as well is it normal to have to push the master volume to 50 just to hear normal level sound? I messed with the speaker level after collaboration, and have had push levels up +5.0db 

@Thaddeus Smith Thanks for this info. I was starting to doubt this Denon receiver for a second haha. But not knowing all this stuff also is a factor as well.

@Thaddeus Smith yeah I have the r-10sw it started to but never completed or set a db. So I just skipped it. I've tried to raise db in levels on each speaker and the volume db level is at +12 but I still have to have volume close to 50 just to hear it normal. But I read on denon etc that, that is normal since their algorithm is 2/3 to turning up volume rather than 1/3 like other brands.