Midrange (?) buzzing on Cornwalls...how to fix?

Howdy, all.  I am not a very technical person and am unsure how to proceed on solving my speaker problem...

I got a pair of (late?) Cornwall I’s on Craigslist last summer and have been loving them!  However, one of the speakers has started making a high pitched vibration/buzzing sound on certain frequencies, which seems to come from the midrange horn.  I took the back off the speaker and checked to see if all the connections and screws are tight (they are).  I am unsure how to further diagnose the problem or what to do about it...it is definitely the speaker.

The midrange driver is marked “K-57-K”, and the crossover is marked “B3”, if that helps at all... 

Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, ricktate said:

Check the washer on the driver between it and the horn. Then check the screws that hold the horn to the motor board. It can also be the bug screen on the driver.

Agree with Rick.  The gaskets between the driver and the horn will dry out, crack and then no longer seal.  Order from Bob Crites.  Replace on both speakers.

Thanks for the help!!!

Update: I took the horn and driver apart - left the diaphragm on the horn because it was pretty well stuck - but gave everything a good clean (vacuumed from the horn side, used used the sticky end of a post -it-note on the driver magnet, etc)...and that appears to have addressed the problem!!!  I am thrilled.

That being said, I suppose replacing the diaphragms wouldn't be a bad idea for such an old piece of gear.  Are those eBay parts good replacements?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oldred said:

I'd probably buy them from Bob....or second choice would be Simply Speakers......

George,

Last I checked Bob Crites was out of stock, the eBay link I attached is a simplyspeakers listing. 

3 hours ago, Chiliarches said:

Thanks for the help!!!

Update: I took the horn and driver apart - left the diaphragm on the horn because it was pretty well stuck - but gave everything a good clean (vacuumed from the horn side, used used the sticky end of a post -it-note on the driver magnet, etc)...and that appears to have addressed the problem!!!  I am thrilled.

That being said, I suppose replacing the diaphragms wouldn't be a bad idea for such an old piece of gear.  Are those eBay parts good replacements?

Glad you got it worked out! I personally like to update these older speakers with fresh capacitors in the crossovers and titanium tweeter diaphragms at the minimum, new mid diaphragms are a good idea because of age but not sure you'd really notice a difference in sound or not, if nothing else piece of mind knowing that they are new might be worth it. Simplyspeakers sells OEM Klipsch replacement parts so good stuff to go with if Bob Crites is out of stock.